IdahoBert

2019-2020 OFFSEASON DISCUSSION THREAD

13 minutes ago, Dan Gilmore said:

His stats show a serious decline to me. After 2012, he did manage a solid half season in 2017, but other than that, quite a bit of suck.

I was just talking about what he did with the Tigers.    His best year with us was 2012 where as my memory thought it was 2010.  I completely forgot about him being that good in 2012.  

The decline in Jackson's fielding was just a big a concern as the fact that he couldn't duplicate 2012 at the plate. My guess is that the series of at the time seemingly ordinary hamstring issues left him either just plain slower of maybe unwilling to run all out anymore. But for what ever reason, be went from being a CF that was fun to watch to one you hoped they pulled the ball.

1 hour ago, RandyMarsh said:

I can't believe Jackson is still only 33 years old.  I also can't believe that he put up 5.1 WAR in 137 games for us in 2012.   I of course remember his BABIP aided start to his Tiger career but that's all that I really remember about him offensively.  I thought he went down hill after that but after checking his stats obviously he didn't.    

He has stayed pretty much the same offensively after normalizing for BABIP, but he has gone down hill defensively which is where he legitimately lost most of his value. He was a strong center fielder until about 26 or 27 and then he lost it.  

We interrupt our baseball coverage for an important rant. Every house on my street is occupied by a Suburban White Male, and I am one of the few who do not own a pressure washer.  Today was the first truly warm sunny day of the spring, and so several of the Suburban White Males emerged to pressure wash their driveways.  That's right, they used fully treated drinking water to flush out the dirt in the expansion cracks in the cement.  The new kid across the street did it for an hour and a half, he actually ran it out of gas and had to refill.  It's a trifecta of an environmental disaster - burning gasoline, to create insane levels of noise pollution, to waste safe drinking water.

We now return to our regularly scheduled coverage.

• Like 1

It never occurred to me that washing dirt out of the cracks in my driveway would be a good way to spend a beautiful Sunday afternoon.   

The car wash next door is doing booming business. Lots of boats and RVs

I spent my day dumping dirt on other people's driveways 

• Like 3

Sorry if I'm 'late to the party' on this, but I noticed that 97.1 is airing classic tiger games according to their website. Does anybody happen to know off hand which games they are?   Are these old Ernie/Paul era games?  Or are they not-so-old Dan/Jim games?

If there's one positive thing about the pandemic, it's that there are a lot of classic sports on TV. In Canada, there is lots of hockey from the 80s and 90s on. I've seen classic Nascar from the 1980s. And it's funny, even though I know the outcome of most of the games shown, I still find it more exciting than most current era sports. Maybe it's just nostalgia, or maybe there's something more to it.

• Like 1

Oftentimes I forget how close these games or races or matches were.

I remember the key moments, but there seem always to be 2 or 3 other less memorable, but no less impactful, moments that I had forgotten about.

On 4/30/2020 at 9:20 PM, tiger337 said:

The pitcher who is closest to Porcello according to similarity scores:

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/t/tapanke01.shtml

Kevin Tapani....I used to like having him on my fantasy teams because of what he did in his first couple of years, but he never was able to repeat the low ERA outcome.

9 hours ago, Zakk_Wylde said:

Sorry if I'm 'late to the party' on this, but I noticed that 97.1 is airing classic tiger games according to their website. Does anybody happen to know off hand which games they are?   Are these old Ernie/Paul era games?  Or are they not-so-old Dan/Jim games?

If there's one positive thing about the pandemic, it's that there are a lot of classic sports on TV. In Canada, there is lots of hockey from the 80s and 90s on. I've seen classic Nascar from the 1980s. And it's funny, even though I know the outcome of most of the games shown, I still find it more exciting than most current era sports. Maybe it's just nostalgia, or maybe there's something more to it.

I like watching famous classic games as historical documents, and a way to compare the broadcasting styles of 30 or 40 or 50 years ago to that of today.

But I'm finding I also like watching random games MLB Network occasionally plays from 2019. They did a day of pitching duels; they did another day of slugfests; things like that. The reason I like rewatching 2019 games is that it almost seems like a game going on right now. All of them current players, fantastic HD resolution. Looks like today, as if everything were still normal. You can't mistake a classic game for being current.

MLB.TV is making every game from 2018 and 2019 available to viewers for free. I wish they had a "I'm feeling lucky" button that would serve up a random game from among the 4,860 or so played in the past two years.

There's times where I'll watch an old game where I either forgot the outcome or just never knew about it to begin with but yet if it's a team or player I like I will still find myself rooting for them like it really makes any difference what the outcome ends up being.   

22 hours ago, Charles Liston said:

We interrupt our baseball coverage for an important rant. Every house on my street is occupied by a Suburban White Male, and I am one of the few who do not own a pressure washer.  Today was the first truly warm sunny day of the spring, and so several of the Suburban White Males emerged to pressure wash their driveways.  That's right, they used fully treated drinking water to flush out the dirt in the expansion cracks in the cement.  The new kid across the street did it for an hour and a half, he actually ran it out of gas and had to refill.  It's a trifecta of an environmental disaster - burning gasoline, to create insane levels of noise pollution, to waste safe drinking water.

We now return to our regularly scheduled coverage.

Hey you kids, get off of Charles Liston’s lawn! ;)

13 hours ago, Zakk_Wylde said:

Ladies and gentlemen… @Zakk_Wylde has entered the building! ?

It's kinda hard to tell but it appears that Miggy looks to be in good shape.

He looks like...an athlete.  Even Junior Soprano would agree...

20 hours ago, IdahoBert said:

Ladies and gentlemen… @Zakk_Wylde has entered the building! ?

It's been a while. I can't believe how many of us have been on this forum for 15+ years. I still check in every couple years when I have time. I do miss this place.

I noticed that there seems to just be a general 'Offseason' and 'Regular Season' thread where most activity is. Is this a recent development?  "Back in my day" there were 20+ threads with so many replies that I couldn't possibly keep up with it all.

I loved your old Game Threads you used to start, Bert!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Zakk_Wylde said:

It's been a while. I can't believe many of us has been on this forum for 15+ years. I still check in every couple years when I have time. I do miss this place.

I noticed that there seems to just be a general 'Offseason' and 'Regular Season' thread where most activity is. Is this a recent development?  "Back in my day" there were 20+ threads with so many replies that I couldn't possibly keep up with it all.

I loved your old Game Threads you used to start, Bert!

I was once against the off-season thread but then I gave up because I was the only old man around yelling at people to get off his lawn and everyone else liked it. I used to think the off-season thread made the board look inactive to newcomers, and I came to realize the only people who mattered were already here so making the people who were already here happy was the best of all possible worlds.

I’ve even found myself starting the off-season thread. So I went with the flow. The board made me their woman and I figured out how to like it. < Not that there’s anything wrong with that>

• Like 1

10 hours ago, IdahoBert said:

was once against the off-season thread but then I gave up because I was the only old man around

Ok Bert, I propose a survey. Who is the oldest member of this forum? I'm going to guess it is coming down between you and me. I'll let you decide to conduct it and how.

On 5/3/2020 at 10:15 PM, Zakk_Wylde said:

I downloaded the audio of this game and listened to it in full on my Sunday run. Comes complete with a pre-game show and post-game interviews! Nice complement to a book I finished reading this weekend - Terror in the City of Champions by Tom Stanton.  The "terror" in the title refers to the Black Legion, a KKK-like secret club that committed many atrocities in Detroit and the Midwest during the mid-30s.

• Like 1

On 5/5/2020 at 11:27 AM, iholly said:

Ok Bert, I propose a survey. Who is the oldest member of this forum? I'm going to guess it is coming down between you and me. I'll let you decide to conduct it and how.

I’m sure there’s people older. Liston is about two weeks my junior so we’re virtually the same age. Of course as baby boomers our shared conceit is  that we are not old, but simply rugged or well worn.