IdahoBert

2019-2020 OFFSEASON DISCUSSION THREAD

This is interesting, but I guess I have to wonder why JaCoby Jones was in New York during this pandemic. 

I guess it was Kaline that was visiting New York. 

I just watched Jack Morris through a 130+ pitch complete game in Game 1 of 84 World Series. When he had 95 pitches in the 6th, I thought "I was sure he threw a complete game here, but maybe not...". LOL! The crazy thing is that he throws another one in the Series!

Loving today on MLB Network! All Tigers, all day long!

18 hours ago, Tigertown Rats said:

I just watched Jack Morris through a 130+ pitch complete game in Game 1 of 84 World Series. When he had 95 pitches in the 6th, I thought "I was sure he threw a complete game here, but maybe not...". LOL! The crazy thing is that he throws another one in the Series!

Loving today on MLB Network! All Tigers, all day long!

Morris was struggling early on in the game.  In trouble early and often.

There was one point in the game where someone was intentionally walked (I think it was Darrell Evans).  Joe Garagiola brought up the point that there was some debate at the time about doing away with the intentional walk and just awarding the batter first base without a pitch.  Garagiola was against it, but it was just something that stuck out to me that I couldn't believe that I was hearing from a 1984 broadcast and the rule was addressed over 30 years later.

I'm having hot dogs for dinner tonight.  I will be putting mustard and relish on them, of course.  And ketchup.  Yeah, that's right, I'm putting ketchup on them.  You're f'n right I am.

• Sad 1

I was watching some parts of old games on YT today and something else I noticed in regard to the speed of the game is how they rarely switched out balls.  Nowadays anytime a ball is fouled tip or hits the dirt the catcher checks it, hands it to the ump and he will switch it out or if he doesn't the pitcher will end up throwing it back and requesting a new ball.  It happens all the time, but in the highlights I was watching no matter if the ball hit the ground or not the catcher would just pick it up and throw it back to the pitcher right away.    Just another little thing that could be done to speed up the game.  

27 minutes ago, Charles Liston said:

I'm having hot dogs for dinner tonight.  I will be putting mustard and relish on them, of course.  And ketchup.  Yeah, that's right, I'm putting ketchup on them.  You're f'n right I am.

Not olive oil?

8 minutes ago, Buddha said:

I'd put the Tigers 5th behind SD, CHW, TOR and Seattle.    I think people are understating how valuable having 3 arms like Mize, Skubal and Manning are.  Sure there are injury risk there but having 3 potential aces means alot more than having some table setters or guys that project to be average major leaguers like some of the teams ahead of them.     You can find offense in FA or you can trade for it for relatively cheap but you have a hard time getting top of the line pitching like the Tigers have.      

Imho it will mostly depend on whether or not Chris I will stay true to his word and add FA position players, should the stud pitchers pan out. I'm still not convinced that he will.

1 hour ago, RandyMarsh said:

I'd put the Tigers 5th behind SD, CHW, TOR and Seattle.    I think people are understating how valuable having 3 arms like Mize, Skubal and Manning are.  Sure there are injury risk there but having 3 potential aces means alot more than having some table setters or guys that project to be average major leaguers like some of the teams ahead of them.     You can find offense in FA or you can trade for it for relatively cheap but you have a hard time getting top of the line pitching like the Tigers have.      

Thank-you Al.

:wink:

1 minute ago, leflore said:

Imho it will mostly depend on whether or not Chris I will stay true to his word and add FA position players, should the stud pitchers pan out. I'm still not convinced that he will.

Yeah that's the unknown variable.  I'm acting under the assumption that he won't be like his father but won't be overly stingy like some owners, I'm thinking that he will operate under say a payroll in the top 10-15 when they are competing.  If that is the case they should have money to sign a few impact players to compliment their home grown guys. 

45 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Thank-you Al.

:wink:

lol may be I'm being a little optimistic but I think that if you're talking about who could potentially contend the quickest I think 5th is being reasonable out of the teams listed.   Most of the things I read about Tork or Martin say that they would be around 20-25 if they were eligible for prospect status now so assuming we take one of them that will give us 5 guys that are ranked in atleast 1 of the major lists' top 30.   That is pretty impressive.

Plus they still have Boyd who could still fetch some premium players and by 2021 and 22 should have a ton of payroll flexibility if they decide to spend.    

4 hours ago, Charles Liston said:

Ketchup is flat out gross. I don't care if it's on a hot dog, french fries, or whatever. It's f'n disgusting.  

4 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

I was watching some parts of old games on YT today and something else I noticed in regard to the speed of the game is how they rarely switched out balls.  Nowadays anytime a ball is fouled tip or hits the dirt the catcher checks it, hands it to the ump and he will switch it out or if he doesn't the pitcher will end up throwing it back and requesting a new ball.  It happens all the time, but in the highlights I was watching no matter if the ball hit the ground or not the catcher would just pick it up and throw it back to the pitcher right away.    Just another little thing that could be done to speed up the game.  

I never understood this. Wouldn't a marked up ball be to the pitcher's advantage?  It would be like adding a foreign substance, which is illegal.  

13 hours ago, bobrob2004 said:

Ketchup is flat out gross. I don't care if it's on a hot dog, french fries, or whatever. It's f'n disgusting.  

Fun fact about ketchup: it has garlic and onion in it. Learned that because my wife hates it due to garlic and onion. Never knew ketchup had those ingredients in all the years I grew up loving it. It totally explains why a tomato slice can’t replicate the taste.

13 hours ago, bobrob2004 said:

I never understood this. Wouldn't a marked up ball be to the pitcher's advantage?  It would be like adding a foreign substance, which is illegal.  

I believe it would accrue to pitcher advantage, which is why I find it weird when pitchers ask for new balls to replace old scuffed ones.

I’ve read a more cynical take that posits a big reason balls are switched out so freely is that game authenticated baseballs are a hot new revenue source for Baseball. It kind of makes sense given how team shops all have a barrel of broken bats they’re selling for thirty or so bucks a throw. 

This is what years of pushing your major league team's nose into the dirt will get you: a valuation less than that of the Pittsburgh Pirates.

2020-04-10_9-13-38.thumb.jpg.323ad4b9aa2ae5ad6dc5ccdde07161e2.jpg

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

I believe it would accrue to pitcher advantage, which is why I find it weird when pitchers ask for new balls to replace old scuffed ones.

I’ve read a more cynical take that posits a big reason balls are switched out so freely is that game authenticated baseballs are a hot new revenue source for Baseball. It kind of makes sense given how team shops all have a barrel of broken bats they’re selling for thirty or so bucks a throw. 

Part of it is PR. For instance players have been instructed by the league to toss end of inning catches into the stands as fan favors. Pitchers usually ask for new balls because the want one with better stitches or less shine because they know they have more break in them or even sometimes because they can sense a ball is heavier or lighter. In theory, any ball that has been struck with the bat will lose some of its COR and thus fly less far but I'd guess it not an effect big enough or predictable enough to worry about much.  I think the pitchers hand feel preference is the big issue today. A guy misfires with a breaking ball in the dirt he catcher probably doesn't want him throwing that ball again.