IdahoBert

2019-2020 OFFSEASON DISCUSSION THREAD

1 hour ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Meh- the rookie is what got us there, that he might be out of gas was always the chance.

he wasnt a rookie against texas and san fran.  

he's my favorite player but his playoff record for detroit is mixed.  not the consistent juggernaut he is now.

37 minutes ago, Buddha said:

he's my favorite player but his playoff record for detroit is mixed.  not the consistent juggernaut he is now.

The Tigers didn't have the tools to mold Verlander into the consistent juggernaut he is now, at age 36.

3 hours ago, chasfh said:

The Tigers didn't have the tools to mold Verlander into the consistent juggernaut he is now, at age 36.

This will never cease to gnaw at me. It’s the seminal expression of what’s at the core of this team’s troubles. And don’t make jokes about seminal. 

In downtown Boise today people are sporting the jerseys of their far better than my own team playoff baseball teams.  

First I saw someone a Braves jersey and I thought well I don’t really hate the Braves at all.  So I let it slide. Then I saw a Yankees jersey and I got riled up.

And then I saw someone in a Red Sox jersey and started to get riled up and then stopped dead in my tracks and started laughing to myself. This might be the happiest I’ve been all week.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IdahoBert said:

This will never cease to gnaw at me. It’s the seminal expression of what’s at the core of this team’s troubles. And don’t make jokes about seminal. 

I never joke about anything seminal, except when I do.

4 hours ago, Buddha said:

In back to back game 5's he threw shutouts  to carry us to the next round.   He had a dominating 8 inning start against Boston, multiple dominating starts against the Yankees,  yeah he had that horrible start against the Giants and against the Rangers where there were multiple rain delays but for the most part he was great here aside from his rookie year.

I've never blamed Verlander for that SF game.  Sandoval hit the first one about neck high, the second HR was practically in the dirt, and by that time the third one didn't matter.

When do we get the list of names for the minor league FA **** heap?  That is where we got Warren Morris, let's not ever forget that.

• Like 2

On 10/5/2019 at 4:37 PM, RandyMarsh said:

In back to back game 5's he threw shutouts  to carry us to the next round.   He had a dominating 8 inning start against Boston, multiple dominating starts against the Yankees,  yeah he had that horrible start against the Giants and against the Rangers where there were multiple rain delays but for the most part he was great here aside from his rookie year.

In 2006 he was awful.  In 2011 he was awful.  In 2012 he was great until the world series then he was awful.  In 2013 he was great.  In 2014 he was bad.

Yeah, it's almost like he wasn't.....consistent.

The best is that we're PAYING THE ASTROS for Verlander to pitch for them!

19 minutes ago, Lei Pong said:

We paid them extra $$$ so we would get a stud like Franklin Perez

Maybe Al Avila can swing a deal to trade Miggy plus send $35m per year to the other team.

44 minutes ago, Lei Pong said:

We paid them extra $$$ so we would get a stud like Franklin Perez

It wasn't known at the time that Perez suffers from low pain threshold.  It's a hereditary thing, it's congenital, and he started to take it a lot more seriously a couple of years ago when his Uncle Floyd died of tennis elbow.

1 hour ago, Buddha said:

In 2006 he was awful.  In 2011 he was awful.  In 2012 he was great until the world series then he was awful.  In 2013 he was great.  In 2014 he was bad.

Yeah, it's almost like he wasn't.....consistent.

This is just silly. It's such small samples, it's like pulling random games out to try to prove a trend. All in all, he had a near hall of fame career in detroit.

• Like 2

Kind of an interesting point made in mlbtr chat that the Tigers should take on a salary like Wil Myers, as long as the Padres give some quality prospects in this deal. He'd also fit a need at 1st base.

2 hours ago, Buddha said:

The best is that we're PAYING THE ASTROS for Verlander to pitch for them!

Being a Tigers fan these days = joy

1 hour ago, cruzer1 said:

Kind of an interesting point made in mlbtr chat that the Tigers should take on a salary like Wil Myers, as long as the Padres give some quality prospects in this deal. He'd also fit a need at 1st base.

He'll be the new Nick Castellanos.  

1 hour ago, cruzer1 said:

I tossed out that idea last week with the Rockies relievers. 

KL2 Forward thinker

Edit to add: The problem with Myer is he has four more years starting next year. That's an awful lot of money to pay and time to waste for a good propsect or two. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Myers is owed $20 million a year through 2023. He struggled offensively this year. Is this due to being in the NL? I don’t think so. Is it a position quandary?  Maybe. I don’t believe the toothless Tigers are willing to spend real money yet.

Was going to start a new thread:  "Reasons to have hope for next season", then I realized it would have no posts.

2 hours ago, Longgone said:

This is just silly. It's such small samples, it's like pulling random games out to try to prove a trend. All in all, he had a near hall of fame career in detroit.

yes.  and he was inconsistent for detroit in the playoffs.

21 minutes ago, 1776 said:

Myers is owed $20 million a year through 2023. He struggled offensively this year. Is this due to being in the NL? I don’t think so. Is it a position quandary?  Maybe. I don’t believe the toothless Tigers are willing to spend real money yet.

I think it is $20M per, thru 2022, with a $1M buyout for 2023. There is also outstanding signing bonus $ but SD should pick that up.

Considering Nick's ceiling at probably 3/30, Myers at 3/61 is really really bad. SD cannot take a 4th big contract, so needs to move Myers badly. But Chris I would never approve this type of bad contract trade.