IdahoBert

2019-2020 OFFSEASON DISCUSSION THREAD

14 hours ago, sabretooth said:

They produced enough internal talent to build a winning team for 10 years, at least indirectly through a handful of great trades (Guillen, Cabrera, Peralta, etc).

The 3 names that you picked are rather interesting cases.

Guillen was plan B after Rich Aurilia signed with Seattle.

Cabrera was Ilitch's inquiry (at least according to popular lore).  There was the unexpected run of 2006, but I think the Cabrera trade may have been the watershed "its now or never" type of move for that window.

Wasn't Peralta a waiver wire pickup?  They traded for him, but wasn't t after Peralta was exposed to waivers?  A slick trade nonetheless.

ya get a decade of good baseball and two world series and all you can do is ***** about the guy who put it together.  lol.

dave dombrowski is a good gm and does not suck.  we were lucky to have him.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Buddha said:

ya get a decade of good baseball and two world series and all you can do is ***** about the guy who put it together.  lol.

It was a quality decade.

5 hours ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

DD generated remarkable value via trade.  No GM was close to his class in this regards during his time with the Tigers.  It is the only reason the Tigers were good for the time frame they were.

He was pretty poor at everything else.

False.

He had a strong polo shirt game.

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

If obviously we the fans love the postseason format we have, then why on earth is Manfred trying to permanently change the postseason format we love?

Do people really love the current playoff format? 

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

Oh sure, we all knew it would not be good for nine whole years, which mean it would have gone into this season. But we were in the beginning of our division title run, and overcome with the irrational exuberance that entails, so we "knew" that in the short term, it was going to be great to have him on board. And it was, for 2012 anyway: we won the pennant and he had one his best years for us.

And then, it came crashing down.

I think people also felt the nostalgia of having another Fielder on the team, at least those that remember when Cecil was playing.

1 hour ago, Oblong said:

2014 ALDS game 2?  Are they torturing us?

I think they are doing one game that was good for each of the 30 franchises.

16 minutes ago, bobrob2004 said:

I think people also felt the nostalgia of having another Fielder on the team, at least those that remember when Cecil was playing.

There might be something to that.

1 hour ago, bobrob2004 said:

Do people really love the current playoff format? 

I'd prefer the wild card best out of 3, but I also wish the regular season would go back to 154. Comerica should also hand out voodoo dolls

• Like 1

On 3/26/2020 at 1:39 PM, bobrob2004 said:

I believe that that was hugely important to Mike Ilitch, who had wanted Prince all the way back at his draft year.

After those tantalizing videos of Miggy during spring training, how much do you want to bet that he weighs 300 the next time we see him?

On 3/26/2020 at 12:58 PM, Buddha said:

That's your opinion.  He sold us out, without a championship. 

• Like 2

On 3/26/2020 at 12:13 PM, tiger337 said:

I thought it would be a bad idea the last eight years.  I do remember how popular the trade was though.  I was hoping for the rumored Cespedes signing.  

If I recall my reaction to the acquisition of a LH bat was positive but that from all I had ever seen we could expect Prince to be a deficit defensively, with the question as always being - enough to negate the bat or not?

On 3/26/2020 at 12:58 PM, Buddha said:

14 minutes ago, cruzer1 said:

The thing is the atrophy in development technology across the system but particular at the minor league level was an unforced error. It wasn't like it was somehow the yin that made the winning yang in Det possible. DD could have walked out the door leaving a 21st century system behind without having won a single game less. It may have been impossible to leave it stocked with talent, but it at least would have been ready for the high picks that would inevitably be coming.

I'll  gladly give him being a good trader and that he had no problem spending  Ilitch's money - other than on Scherzer.

5 hours ago, cruzer1 said:

yikes

4 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

The thing is the atrophy in development technology across the system but particular at the minor league level was an unforced error. It wasn't like it was somehow the yin that made the winning yang in Det possible. DD could have walked out the door leaving a 21st century system behind without having won a single game less. It may have been impossible to leave it stocked with talent, but it at least would have been ready for the high picks that would inevitably be coming.

I'll  gladly give him being a good trader and that he had no problem spending  Ilitch's money - other than on Scherzer.

Agree on not building the system properly. 

Having said that, having a contending team for a decade and two WS appearances is not a guarantee simply because he had money to spend. 

Dombrowski owes everything to Ilitch.   If he didn't have him they wouldn't have signed Pudge or Ordonez.  Probably wouldn't have drafted Verlander cause of his bonus demands.  The only reason we got Cabrera was because Ilitch was willing to give him that massive extension, if he didn't have a deep pockets owner he wouldn't have gotten him.    Porcello woudln't have been here without Mike paying the big bonus demands for him.   

We obviously wouldn't have had Fielder, Hunter or V-Mart.   Mr. I also was willing to put out big bucks for Valverde and Benoit where most owners wouldn't have spent that much money on relievers so we wouldn't have had them without him either.     Castellanos was a bonus baby that we went way over slot for, without a deep pockets owner that wouldn't have happened.   

With that said, maybe Dombrowski still would've built a winning team without any of those acquisitions, but virtually every major player we got while he was here could be accredited to Ilitch willing to open up the wallet.   

• Thanks 1

Not sure whether everybody has heard this:

Man, it's almost like, who hasn't gone under the knife lately?

Oh, and look: a Devil We Know is available.

2 hours ago, chasfh said:

Oh, and look: a Devil We Know is available.

I don't like him.  He should have used "Gord", or "Gordie".  But oh no, he had to throw away his career being "Gordon".

• Like 1