IdahoBert

2019-2020 OFFSEASON DISCUSSION THREAD

Wonder if the Tigers would ever have a David Byrne night

Not that it's a big deal, but Verlander's first K of the season will be career # 3007

1 hour ago, leflore said:

I read that Verlander is experiencing some groin issues again. Hope it's nothing serious, but he is 37

I blame Kate

Image result for women weaken legs rocky

2 hours ago, Stanley68 said:

Mateo is like Anthony Gose, some elite tools with a hit tool that is not developing.

So turn him into a reliever?

Gose's 100-mph gas fuels his move to mound

By Mandy Bell  @MandyBell02
March 7, 2020

GOODYEAR, Ariz. -- Every time Anthony Gose’s name pops up in conversation, Indians manager Terry Francona is sure to include that the 29-year-old outfielder-turned-reliever needs more repetition. But that surely doesn’t mean his stuff hasn’t caught the eye of nearly everyone in camp.

Outside of Brad Hand, Nick Wittgren and Oliver Pérez, there’s plenty of uncertainty regarding the Tribe’s bullpen, which has caused many to wonder whether Gose could suddenly be a contender. While he got off to a hot start this spring through his first four appearances, his outing Saturday afternoon in the Indians’ 8-5 loss to the Cubs could be an example of why more repetition will be so important.

During polling of a dozen players in the Indians’ clubhouse about who has impressed them the most this spring, Gose was one of the top five mentioned. His heater has touched 100 mph, and it has been casually sitting around 96-98 mph in his Cactus League appearances.

“It’s exciting to see the continued progress,” Indians president of baseball operations Chris Antonetti said. “I mean, obviously, the stuff is electric, and he’s now become more consistent in repeating his delivery and his mechanics where he’s been in the zone more consistently. And if he can marry those two, maintain the stuff and be in the zone, it’s a pretty interesting arm to have as an option in the bullpen.”

Gose’s velocity has been stellar, and he had shown improvement in his command early this spring before beginning his outing Saturday by throwing eight straight balls. Entering his most recent appearance, Gose had allowed one run with six strikeouts and no walks in four frames. But in this last trip to the mound, he was charged with three runs in two-thirds of an inning. Between Class A Advanced and Double-A last year, Gose permitted 29 walks in 29 innings.

“He’s throwing 98, 99 I think,” catcher Roberto Pérez said. “Anybody that is here can help us out -- these young guys, older guys, guys that are making a transition from outfield to pitching. But he’s a case that is very special. He has impressed me the most so far this spring.”

But how practical of an option for Opening Day is Gose? He appeared in 372 Major League games as an outfielder with Toronto and Detroit from 2012-16 and decided to convert to a pitcher in 2017. He split last season between Class A Advanced Lynchburg and Double-A Akron in his first year in the Indians’ organization with a combined 2.48 ERA in 32 appearances.

At this point, it’s realistic to think that Hand, Wittgren, Pérez, Adam Cimber and James Karinchak will break camp with the Indians. Francona said that Hunter Wood was sick during the first week of camp and lost a lot of weight. Wood has been trying to rediscover his velocity ever since, which is why he has struggled in his Cactus League appearances. If he’s not ready by the start of the year, the Indians then have three bullpen spots open.

The top contenders are Wood, Phil Maton, James Hoyt and Cam Hill. Because of his impressive spring, Gose has thrown his name in the conversation. Despite that attention he has received, it’s most probable that he’ll start the year in the Minors. After getting a little more experience, Gose could become an option for the Tribe to call up at some point this season.

“I told him when he came out of the game, ‘There’s going to be a lot of good days,’” Francona said after the loss. “For us to not expect this to happen sometimes is not fair to him, and he understands that. I mean, that’s a special arm, and he still is, not fairly new, really new. We have to be patient if we’re going to get rewarded, and we know that.”

4 hours ago, Stanley68 said:

Mateo is like Anthony Gose, some elite tools with a hit tool that is not developing.

Anthony Gose the pitcher? 

I think we heard about that two or three years ago. And sure, why not? Gose already hits like a pitcher. :wink:

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, leflore said:

I read that Verlander is experiencing some groin issues again. Hope it's nothing serious, but he is 37

Only if his triceps are attached to his groin!

2 hours ago, Tigrrfan said:

Only if his triceps are attached to his groin!

The article did say he's been having groin issues all spring. Maybe he's been compensating which caused arm strain. Or not. He had an MRI today on his arm. Hope it's nothing serious

Just read that Fox Sports Detroit is carrying all but one Tiger game this season. Now......if Fox Sports and Dish Network could just get their act together and not be so greedy. ......sigh.

22 minutes ago, roarintiger1 said:

Just read that Fox Sports Detroit is carrying all but one Tiger game this season. Now......if Fox Sports and Dish Network could just get their act together and not be so greedy. ......sigh.

I wish Sling Blue and Fox Sports Detroit would join up again.  Only $30/mo for Sling Blue.  As it is now ..either YouTube TV or Hulu Live TV are my options.  Probably going to go with Hulu Live TV.

DirectTV and Dish are all 2-yr minimum commitments.  Great deal for them ..bad deal for consumer.  Local Cable TV does not service my home .. missed by about 1/2 mile.  No matter.  I 'cut the cord' for a reason.  Only open to 'streaming' services from now on.

5 hours ago, leflore said:

The article did say he's been having groin issues all spring. Maybe he's been compensating which caused arm strain. Or not. He had an MRI today on his arm. Hope it's nothing serious

Have seen sources mention 'triceps strain' and 'groin issues' .. have also read 'back strain' and 'lat strain' in various news articles.  

Sounds a lot like JV"s 2015 pre-season with the Tigers.  Too bad for JV and the Astros!

I know JV is still of interest to tigers fans, as evidenced by the discussion here. 

But do we really need an article from one of our beat writers about his lat strain? It’s been over 2.5 years since he pitched for Detroit. 

Reminds me of the twitter interaction I had with him when he was injured. I was at the game in Dunedin when he left with injury and remembered it being reported as a triceps injury. Later in the year he took to twitter to defend himself over not having any arm injuries in his career, and I said, kindly, "Aren't you out with a tricep?" and he responded to say lat strain.

I wasn't about to correct and say the lat, while a back muscle, is connected to the shoulder, but alas.

image.jpeg.e24ec30f10e3990816ede5c1d490ead9.jpeg

29 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

Should have had an MRI.

That’s my line. 

1 hour ago, Shelton said:

I know JV is still of interest to tigers fans, as evidenced by the discussion here. 

But do we really need an article from one of our beat writers about his lat strain? It’s been over 2.5 years since he pitched for Detroit. 

If we had an actual good team, we wouldn't be hearing so much about JV.

2 hours ago, chasfh said:

It’s like pining over an old girlfriend. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, tiger337 said:

Should have had an MRI.

should of

8 hours ago, Shelton said:

He's an all-time great Tiger in my book, so I'm ok with it.

3 hours ago, IdahoBert said:

Until recently he was the ex girlfriend that got hotter and moved on with a better looking and more successful guy.  But then that successful and good  looking guy got caught cheating which sent her and their relationship into a tailspin.

• Like 2

The ex girlfriend is married to Kate Upton.  No problem whatsoever with that.

6 hours ago, IdahoBert said:

Who cheated.

9 hours ago, chasfh said:

We still have JZ.