IdahoBert

2019-2020 OFFSEASON DISCUSSION THREAD

7 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

His Total Zone suggests that his glove was adequate the first five years or so and then he fell off a cliff.  

As if to highlight the unreliability of defensive stats altogether, according to Play Index, Adam Dunn is 71st in defensive WAR out of 72 players who played at least 70% of their 500+ games in left field throughout their first five seasons.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/tiny/YDbv3

36 minutes ago, chasfh said:

It didn't hurt that Dunn really lowered the bar for himself for that next season.

dunn was back to being dunn in the second season.  still walking, striking out, and hitting homers.  he hit 41 that year.

the problem was he wasnt nearly as good as he was with the nationals, but he was still "ok."

but that first season was so bad.  which it made it extra special to laugh at the white sox.

22 minutes ago, chasfh said:

As if to highlight the unreliability of defensive stats altogether, according to Play Index, Adam Dunn is 71st in defensive WAR out of 72 players who played at least 70% of their 500+ games in left field throughout their first five seasons.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/tiny/YDbv3

Or maybe the unreliability of B-Ref since Total Zone is their main historical defense stat!

19 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

Or maybe the unreliability of B-Ref since Total Zone is their main historical defense stat!

I'd forgotten he came up as OF, partly explains why he was such a bad 1B.

6 minutes ago, leflore said:

I confess I don't recall the Chiang signing. Sounds like there is some potential there.

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/sports/mlb/tigers/2020/03/06/taiwans-shoa-ching-chang-threw-crap-out-ball-tigers-debut/4975136002/

With a name like Chin Chang we're gonna have some moderly racists posts around here. 

oh crap...

I was in the ballpark when the White Sox won a 4th of July game against the Royals on a walk-off balk with Adam Dunn at the plate. You don’t forget a game like that.

1 hour ago, Keepleyland2 said:

With a name like Chin Chang we're gonna have some moderly racists posts around here. 

oh crap...

In the article is spelled Chiang, but it's Chang in the title. Nice editing by Det news. 98 mph FB....maybe a pen guy

1 hour ago, Oblong said:

We need more Mexicans to make miggy happy 

We should be able to draft players from the caravan.

Royals, Tigers Have ‘Shown Interest’ In Jorge Mateo

Royals, Tigers Have ‘Shown Interest’ In Jorge Mateo
By Anthony Franco | March 8, 2020 at 10:28am CDT

The Royals and Tigers have “shown interest” in A’s utilityman Jorge Mateo, reports Ken Rosenthal of the Athletic. Other clubs, too, have seemingly checked in, although one A’s source tells Rosenthal overall interest in the 24-year-old is “tepid.”

Mateo hit a decent .289/.330/.504 with 19 home runs and 24 stolen bases in Triple-A in 2019. That marked a significant step up from his abysmal showing there the year prior. He’s in the mix with Franklin Barreto, Vimael Machin and Tony Kemp for the seemingly wide open second base job in Oakland. There’s some upside in that group, but none of the players involved are yet established. More challenging, it’s not a group that comes with a ton of roster flexibility.

Mateo, Barreto and Kemp are out of minor-league options, meaning each has to make the active roster or be exposed to waivers. Machin, meanwhile, is a Rule V pick; he, too, must spend the entire season on the 26-man or be exposed to waivers (and if unclaimed, offered back to the Cubs’ organization).

It’s difficult to imagine a situation in which all of Mateo, Barreto, Machin and Kemp make the season-opening roster. There’s little reason not to explore the trade market for whomever the front office isn’t comfortable with making the roster.

Mateo and Barreto, also 24, would figure to draw some interest. Each was once a highly-touted prospect with youth still on his side. Neither has a strong MLB track record- Mateo has yet to reach the majors at all- but there are likely teams intrigued by their physical tools and generally solid minor-league performances.

The Royals and Tigers each seem like sensible matches if the A’s were to part with Mateo (or Barreto for that matter, although there’s no indication either team has expressed interest in him). Unlike Oakland, neither K.C. nor Detroit has much of a chance of contending for a playoff spot in 2020. There’d be limited harm in giving Mateo an extended MLB look in hopes he can make good on his past prospect status. He wouldn’t fetch nearly as much in trade as he would’ve a few years ago, but it’s not hard to imagine the A’s extracting something of value, whether from the Tigers, Royals, or another organization.

Notably, the Tigers have season-opening waiver priority leaguewide. (They’re followed by the Orioles, Marlins, then the Royals). If Oakland can’t come to an agreement on a trade but decides not to carry Mateo on the season-opening roster, Detroit would have first crack at him on waivers. That could inspire some urgency on Kansas City’s part to make a deal, depending on the extent of their interest in the speedster.

Might be a better option than a veteran utility guy like Mercer.  Mercer wouldn't be bad for the bench, per se, but he certainly isn't the future.

Fun Fact about Mateo: because he played in the Pacific league, his "decent" .289/.330/.504 was good for a below average 96 +wRC. Both Goodrum and Mercer had 94 +wRC last year, so, it would serve as a stockpiling of warm bodies if they went the Mateo route.

Ha ha, he actually wrote "Rule V" in a published article.  Let's invite him to the Rule V party next year.

27 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Fun Fact about Mateo: because he played in the Pacific league, his "decent" .289/.330/.504 was good for a below average 96 +wRC. Both Goodrum and Mercer had 94 +wRC last year, so, it would serve as a stockpiling of warm bodies if they went the Mateo route.

He's a former top 100 prospect for 3 seasons from multiple sources and he's still only 24.

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

and that is that's 94 +wRC in the majos vs 96 in the minors?

If W Castro and Alcantara break their legs and Mateo goes to the waiver wire - sure pick him up, otherwise -  pass

1 hour ago, socaltiger said:

So who would we trade for Mateo ? 

Maybe they don't trade for him and they just wait to see doesn't make the A's roster?  If that were the case, or if any other waiver wire possibility comes along, I can't imagine waiving Jose Cisnero from the 40 would be a great loss.

1 hour ago, Casimir said:

He's a former top 100 prospect for 3 seasons from multiple sources and he's still only 24.

Well, let’s go back to one of those past three seasons and get that Mateo! :P

I’m not asking for a lot. Much of last season was like getting kicked in the nuts every day then set on fire. I can take the nuts thing to a point, but the being set on fire part has got to stop. I don’t think this is an unreasonable wish. I don’t know how to quantify this goal in terms of wins and losses but that’s my goal for this team. 

Mateo is like Anthony Gose, some elite tools with a hit tool that is not developing.

I read that Verlander is experiencing some groin issues again. Hope it's nothing serious, but he is 37

2 minutes ago, leflore said:

I read that Verlander is experiencing some groin issues again. Hope it's nothing serious, but he is 37

he left the game early today with a sore tricep.