IdahoBert

2019-2020 OFFSEASON DISCUSSION THREAD

Delmon Young was a 5 tool #1 pick in the draft at one time. Fast forward 5-6 years and it was if he aged in dog years. Delmon regressed to the point he was terrible, Cristin was always bad.

7 hours ago, Charles Liston said:

And on the subject of left fielders let's not forget Alex Johnson.  There was a game in 1975 when photographic evidence proved pretty conclusively that, during an afternoon game on a hot summer day, Alex was positioning himself in left field so that he would be standing in the shade of the light towers.

Alex is one my all time favourite Tigers, for that reason, and also for another reason.  Willie Horton says that, when he was a student at Northwestern High School in Detroit, everybody was afraid of Johnson.  That's good enough for me.

If there was ever a player made to be a DH.............

I find it hilarious that we happen to be talking about Delmon Young at this particular moment, because just yesterday he played for the Melbourne Aces in the Australian Baseball League championship that aired on MLB Network.

Playing a full 40-game season for the Aces, Young raked the league to the tune of .345/.394/.662, fourth best among all rate stat qualifiers. He played 39 games at designated hitter, and one game in left field.

Delmon Young is also the fourth oldest position player in the Australian league.

Delmon Young is still only 34 years old.

• Like 3

How many days until the first Detroit Tigers exhibition game?

USATSI_12880203-e1561734305299-1024x796.

31 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I find it hilarious that we happen to be talking about Delmon Young at this particular moment, because just yesterday he played for the Melbourne Aces in the Australian Baseball League championship that aired on MLB Network.

Playing a full 40-game season for the Aces, Young raked the league to the tune of .345/.394/.662, fourth best among all rate stat qualifiers. He played 39 games at designated hitter, and one game in left field.

Delmon Young is also the fourth oldest position player in the Australian league.

Delmon Young is still only 34 years old.

that is a great find Chas

5 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

that is a great find Chas

Thanks, although actually, I merely stumbled onto this by playing the game on my D*TV DVR!

7 hours ago, Lei Pong said:

Micky Rivers was a genius.  Whenever I feel overwhelmed by life's circumstances I reflect upon the following quote from him and immediately feel better.

"Ain't no sense worrying about things you can't control because you can't control them...aint no sense worrying about things you control because you control them" 

It’s like a Zen koan, beautifully wise. In terms of the emotional and psychological aspect of the game it’s like the “Goldilocks Zone.” Not too hot, not too cold, but just right.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Charles Liston said:

This could get heated.  It's a divisive issue, the question of who was more sickeningly horrible in left field, Young vs. Stewart.  We have split into 2 groups, separated by some police officers, waving signs and shouting threats at each other.  I'm in the Young group, cords on my neck sticking out and spit flying out of my mouth.

Let's agree that neither one should be or have been allowed anywhere near the outfield of a baseball diamond and leave it at that.  

1 hour ago, Longgone said:

Just talking defense, Young had more range, better arm, better reads, etc. He still sucked though.

He was like a blindfolded Edward Scissorhands on broken roller skates out there.

Apologies to the scouting community if that was plagiarized from an actual report.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Casimir said:

He was like a blindfolded Edward Scissorhands on broken roller skates out there.

Apologies to the scouting community if that was plagiarized from an actual report.

One of the two is still relevant, so noting Young was superior has significance.

Who was a worse pitcher for the Tigers: Jordan Zimmerman or Matt Moore?  

4 hours ago, Longgone said:

Just talking defense, Young had more range, better arm, better reads, etc. He still sucked though.

giphy.gif

Last season fox would put lines with different colors in the OF with a runner on 3rd, showing the likelihood of throwing out a runner tagging. Fly ball to left which Stewart caught, well in front of the closest line. He didn't even make a throw. Iirc Gibby made a comment. I guess I'm not convinced Stewart is a better OF. I do believe Stewart is trying to improve. I was never convinced of that with Young

7 hours ago, tiger337 said:

Who was a worse pitcher for the Tigers: Jordan Zimmerman or Matt Moore?  

Yes.

7 minutes ago, Keepleyland2 said:

Joc Pederson is back on the market. 

What's going on with the trade market lately?

Joc Pederson To Angels Trade Falls Through

By TC Zencka | February 9, 2020 at 6:58pm CDT

At least one leg of the Mookie Betts marathon trade has fallen through. The Dodgers and Angels will not complete their previously agreed upon deal, per The Athletic’s Ken Rosenthal. The nails of the deal would have sent Joc Pederson , Ross Stripling and prospect Andy Pages to the Angels in exchange for Luis Rengifo.

Angels owner Arte Moreno was reportedly unhappy with the delay of the original deal, but it’s unclear if that’s the driving factor in the breakdown of this deal. Per MLB Network’s Jon Heyman, the terms of the original deal were dependent upon the original Betts trade. The final iteration of the deal that landed Betts in Los Angeles made this subsequent trade “unnecessary.” It’s entirely unclear at this time if the Dodgers or Angels are putting the kibosh on the deal at this stage, per Rosenthal.

It doesn’t make a lot of intuitive sense that the newest iteration of the Betts trade would make the Pederson leg moot. The new trade actually sends an additional outfielder to the Dodgers (Luke Raley from Minnesota), as well as an additional pitcher in Brusdar Graterol who could fill much the same role that Stripling has in years past. They are also sending money to Minnesota, which would presumably encourage the egress of player payroll in the form of Pederson and/or Stripling. With Betts, Cody Bellinger, and some collection of A.J. Pollock, Chris Taylor, Matt Beaty and Enrique Hernandez on hand to man the outfield (before dipping into their depth in Triple-A), Pederson certainly represents a moveable piece.

He should be an attractive trade chip at that, given his affordable $7.75MM expiring contract this season and ~127 wRC+ over the past two seasons. The Dodgers shouldn’t struggle to find a trade partner for Stripling either, should they reengage on that front. Stripling is owed just $2.1MM this season and he’s controllable for another two beyond. The Dodgers have been able to somewhat protect the 30-year-old because of their depth, but he has nonetheless put up solid numbers: 3.51 ERA/3.60 FIP across 387 innings over the past four seasons with an All-Star appearance to his credit. It certainly makes sense for somebody to give Stripling the opportunity to start full-time, should the Dodgers look to move him again.

How many days until the first Detroit Tigers exhibition game?

539d024e60fc65a5454f7279db5dcd18.jpg