IdahoBert

2019-2020 OFFSEASON DISCUSSION THREAD

12 minutes ago, Tigrrfan said:

Why even think about bringing  Mario back .. when Curtis Granderson may be available?

Cause they have different jobs?

And anyways Granderson is too personable and too well liked to end up on a regional sports network. If he wants to do media work

2 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Evidence?

I would actually like to hear more of Mario's work away from Rod. I thought he was much more personable working with people other than Rod.

I'm not sure what "passion" in a PBP buy means exactly. I would say Hawk was passionate - I don't know how Sox fans could listen to him. If he had been working for the Tigers I would have become a curling fan. OTOH, George Kell was relatively  calm and collected - I loved him.

In any case it's not likely to happen. If the org was unwilling to take the heat to fire Rod and keep Mario when the episode happened, they won't bring Mario back now.

Passion for the game as in showing that you enjoy what you're doing and not just going through the motions:

• Preparing for the game - doing some homework. Come up with some material
  • Read the sports section - study box scores - know the competition. Find out if guys faced each other in AAA or AA and how they fared
  • Talk about the city you're visiting. Talk about the retired numbers, statues
  • Learn and share more of the history of the team and the team
  • Tell us something about the umpires, the opponent's coaches, etc.

Should this be done by the color guy? Not necessarily. Ernie did it. Tom Hamilton of the Indians does it. It's not that hard.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Chili Mac Davis said:

Passion for the game as in showing that you enjoy what you're doing and not just going through the motions:

• Preparing for the game - doing some homework. Come up with some material
  • Read the sports section - study box scores - know the competition. Find out if guys faced each other in AAA or AA and how they fared
  • Talk about the city you're visiting. Talk about the retired numbers, statues
  • Learn and share more of the history of the team and the team
  • Tell us something about the umpires, the opponent's coaches, etc.

Should this be done by the color guy? Not necessarily. Ernie did it. Tom Hamilton of the Indians does it. It's not that hard.

They literaly do this every game

I don’t get the Mario hate.  He’s a pro. He sounds like every other guy you hear in all sports.  That’s not a criticism. He’s polished. Good delivery.  He’s not a distraction.  He doesn’t do annoying things.  Watching those highlights posted earlier made me miss him even more.  He does get excited at the right time.  Shep has too much of the old school in him.  May as well be Eli Zaret or Pat Caputo.   He doesn’t sound fresh. 

• Like 5

Shep doesn't have that deep baritone voice that good announcers have. Mario has it, George Kell, Ray Lane, Ernie, Paul Carey etc all had that deep voice. 

3 hours ago, Keepleyland2 said:

Cause they have different jobs?

And anyways Granderson is too personable and too well liked to end up on a regional sports network. If he wants to do media work

I can agree that Curtis Granderson would probably have bigger opportunities nationally, but when talking about a person being "too personable and too well liked" ..two names immediately come to mind.  Those two names are:

Al Kaline ... 

Ernie Harwell ...

2 hours ago, Oblong said:

I don’t get the Mario hate.  He’s a pro. He sounds like every other guy you hear in all sports.  That’s not a criticism. He’s polished. Good delivery.  He’s not a distraction.  He doesn’t do annoying things.  Watching those highlights posted earlier made me miss him even more.  He does get excited at the right time.  Shep has too much of the old school in him.  May as well be Eli Zaret or Pat Caputo.   He doesn’t sound fresh. 

I thought he was fine.  He was kind of just there which is what I want from a television announcer.  Allen was a distraction.  

4 hours ago, Chili Mac Davis said:

Hopefully Mario follows DD to another city.

Why Do you want Dan Dickerson to go to another city?

1 hour ago, Evil Roy Slade said:

Why Do you want Dan Dickerson to go to another city?

Wondered the same thing ?

19 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Mario is unsigned. They need to cut bait on the Shepherd experiment and just put Mario back in the booth. The broadcast was generally fine when it was Mario + X, where X was anyone but  Rod.

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/sports/mlb/tigers/2020/01/31/former-detroit-tigers-tv-man-mario-impemba-without-job-first-time-since-1986/4624261002/

Mario plus Curtis doing color. Mario’s a real professional, bland, but he gets the job done and he doesn’t turn himself into a focus of attention  

Curtis deserves better than having to watch this team for 162 games. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Tigrrfan said:

Why even think about bringing  Mario back .. when Curtis Granderson may be available?

I don't know why Curtis would settle for that, nor would they hire someone to do PBP with no experience doing so. As an analyst, for sure. I actually think he and Mario would be a good fit. But again, I don't think Curtis would leap for a Tigers tv gig. 

If he did TV he’d probably go for a national one.  A part time on TBS I could see.  Or fill in here or there to get his feet wet.  Studio work 

7 hours ago, IdahoBert said:

Mario plus Curtis doing color. Mario’s a real professional, bland, but he gets the job done and he doesn’t turn himself into a focus of attention  

I could get behind this.

• Like 1

I suspect Granderson will be a national rather than regional analyst if he does choose to go into television.  Its not hard to see him doing national game broadcasts or behind a desk on MLBN or something along those lines.  We all know he is pretty good with spoken word.  It probably wouldn't be too much for him to pick up the analyst chops, and his personalty would make up for any hiccups he might have along the path to getting that type of experience.

Heck, maybe he doesn't want to be on television.  I wouldn't be surprised if he winds up with some sort of working/ambassador role with MLB.  Something where he would be a public representative of the game/office/union where he does get some face time, but not necessarily just as some persona or mascot type of role.  He has his Grand Kids foundation.  I could see him as a conduit between MLB and youth organizations.

I hate to pigeon hole him as staying with the sport, because he sounds like the type of person that might chose to tackle something outside of baseball.  But, to paraphrase, he said something along the lines of staying with the game in some capacity.

Does Granderson have the same PR guy he used to have? I forget his name, but IIRC he even posted here a few times.

1 minute ago, lordstanley said:

Does Granderson have the same PR guy he used to have? I forget his name, but IIRC he even posted here a few times.

John Fuller.

No.  It's been quite a while.  I am not sure who he represents now but he's still very active.

On 2/2/2020 at 2:31 AM, holygoat said:

I could get behind this.

SAME... I do like Craig though

10 hours ago, lordstanley said:

That guy was cool for posting here but also super annoying. 

So are the Tigers done now?    Not getting a RF?        So this is why Jordy is back, to move Goodrum to RF?   

This is disappointing.    

16 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

So are the Tigers done now?    Not getting a RF?        So this is why Jordy is back, to move Goodrum to RF?   

This is disappointing.    

No