IdahoBert

2019-2020 OFFSEASON DISCUSSION THREAD

Oh man, that steal of 2nd base when Randy Johnson had him picked off in the 2006 ALDS....  God, what an absolute blast that game was to be at.

Bradley robbed him of an XBH in inning 9 of game 4 of the ALCS with a nice running catch (just re-watched, he was quite deep - had he not been, it definitely would have been a double).

Of course, had that hit fell, he likely would have scored and ended the game before Magglio came to the plate.

18 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Helluva career.

Easily my favorite Tiger in a long time.

Me too... I'd add Carlos Guillen and JD in the same boat.

My 33rd birthday was game 4 of the ALDS with the Yankees.  Before I left for the game, the family gave me my presents.  My son was 5 at the time and made me a homemade card with #28 and #9 on it.  I still have it.  I also got a Tigers jersey which I still wear to most games. 

Maybe he'll throw out the first pitch on opening day. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

and of course they have Illinois all wrong. The Cubs fans hate the Sox first and foremost and vice versa.

Incorrect

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Buddha said:

i hate the cardinals.

of course, i live in illinois now but i didnt like them when i lived in michigan either!

And we know you love the Yankees and White Sox.  

9 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

I hate the White Sox and Indians the most.  White Sox just cause two of my closest friends were originally from Chicago and our White Sox fans and I root against them just to spite them, as for the Indians I just hate every team in Ohio.  

As far as why the Cardinals are number 1 in Michigan, aren't there alot of Cubs fan that live in western Michigan?  Maybe between them and some of the Tigers fans that hate them from 68 and 06 could explain the reason why.  

It’s probably a combination of Cubs fan in Michigan and the fact that tigers fans can’t decide which of the AL teams they hate the most (as evidenced in this thread).

• Like 1

Curtis had 2 40+ homers seasons.. led the league in triples twice...  also led in RBI and runs scored...  he hit more homers than Lance Parrish.

Obviously he had the homer surge in Yankee Stadium but those numbers surprised me once I looked at the totals....

19 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

You don't get to 50 WAR without putting up some numbers.

His 2007 season was insane.  You could make the argument that it rivaled a Triple Crown performance.  

Granderson was my favorite Tiger since the 1980s.  I don't usually care what athletes do off the field, but Granderson went above and beyond what any player is obligated to do in the player-fan relationship.  He seems to be one the best people in the game.  He had a great career on the field too.  50 WAR is a lot.  He could do it all - hit, hit for power, run and field.  He didn't usually do all those things at the same time outside his magical 2007 season but there were times where he excelled in all those areas.  

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

I guess Tiger fans don't use Twitter because the Cards is not even remotely likely. The most hated baseball team in MI is either the Yankees or the WhiteSox and I don't think any other team would even be even close.

What you may not realize is that western MI has TONS of Cubs fans. They get TV and radio broadcasts from Chicago. I found this out while spending time in Sawyer MI. And being Cubs fans - they hate the Cards!

I grew up in suburban Detroit (Livonia mostly), and as a Tiger's fan, I never hated the White Sox - even after watching Disco Demolition Night live on TV. I hated the Yankees.

My guess is that the Detroit area Yankee-haters and Sox-haters kinda split the vote, leaving all the Western MI/Grand Rapids Cubs fans to "win" with their choice of most-hated. Cubs fans HATE the Cardinals. They are jealous of a most excellent franchise that has had so much post-season success, it reminds Cubs fans of their century-long failure every time the two teams play.

FWIW, I now live within what I call "drunken staggering distance" of Wrigley Field. And I am not a Cubs fan. Tigers first and foremost forever, I even went to a game in Sept 2003 to celebrate a milestone birthday, when they probably lost game 110 at that point. I *do* like the White Sox now though, am happy to get on that bandwagon. ("cept for when they play the Tigers, of course).

My friends and I ran into Curtis at Fifth Avenue in Royal Oak in 06 or 07 and he was super cool and personable.  He talked with us for atleast an hour and did a couple round of drinks with us.   His shot of choice was called a "chocolate cake" shot.  After that whenever my friends and I would go games we'd yell chocolate cake shots at him, I'm sure he had no remembrance of who we were but he would react to it and smile anyway. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

and of course they have Illinois all wrong. The Cubs fans hate the Sox first and foremost and vice versa.

cubs fans hate the cardinals a lot more than the sox.  which - of course - drives sox fans even more crazy.  the white sox are their own fans' second favorite team, their real favorite team is whatever team is playing the cubs.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

It's gone! No, it not.

Classic call.  Was that their radio or TV guy?  It would suck to be a fan listening on the radio and for that split second thinking it was a game winning HR.  

The next video after that was a 2013 Tigers montage.... lots of great great moments that year....

Didn't realize Curtis Granderson's retirement was already being discussed here.

Mods - You can delete my thread.

Thanks for the memories Curtis!

:alien: