IdahoBert

2019-2020 OFFSEASON DISCUSSION THREAD

6 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

It was the right way to state it. The team history is a lot longer than his history with the team.

Recent years?  He's been with the team since at least 2003 (too lazy to look it up).

6 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

Recent years?  He's been with the team since at least 2003 (too lazy to look it up).

When you are 60, the last 20 yrs is 'recent history'.

19 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

yeah, I thought it was an odd way to say it.

3 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

I didn't mean when he ultimately got caught - I meant during all the years before when he was one of the most strident anti-doping voices. I just meant that it is a common human behavior to protest hard in public against something you are doing in private - whether that is a form of psychological denial or just an explicit deflection strategy. Thus public opposition may or may not ever mean anything.

i know....but all that time he was a strident anti-doping spokesman, there was evidence that he was doping.  he failed a test and got it covered up.  his american teammate testified that he was doping and armstrong called him a liar.

he did this for years even though there was lots of evidence against him.  people just didnt report it (in america) and nobody talked about it.

42 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Large.....tracts of land

I think I could stay a Bit longer. 

19 hours ago, chasfh said:

What we are asking for is to increase our chances of winning a title, and you increase your chances for winning a title when you are competitive every year and go to playoffs nine out of nine years, than when you go through bust-and-boom cycles and go to only one playoff in nine years.

A team absolutely does raise their chances for winning a title if when they have multiple years of making the playoffs.

10 hours ago, bobrob2004 said:

There are two different subscriptions on FanGraphs.  You probably didn't get the right one that removes ads.  

Huh....thanks.

6 hours ago, tiger337 said:

So, if the Tigers have not used sign stealing technology in recent years, does that mean they used it in previous years?  They may be further ahead of the curve than we think.  

Yeah, the "recent years" thing was a hoot...as Michael Palin used to say "Oh, what a giveaway!"

Just read that Mike Fiers told his teammates in Detroit about the Astros scheme, sort of, when he arrived from Houston. According to Zimmermann, Fiers told him that the team had better be able to change their signs on the fly and to do it frequently when they were playing Houston. This was reported from the fan fest that apparently is going on this week. 

I should write Fiers name in this November. I was contemplating Tom Selleck until now. Magnum PI and TC would be cool.

23 hours ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Nobody cares about the Marlins or Jeff Conine.

Figuratively.

Yeah right. Marlin fans are showing up at the games in Miami in droves.

Wouldn't want to block all those great outfield prospects, now would we? 

In a way, I have a hard time blaming Avila for being a failure as a GM.  He's just a run-of-the-mill exec (maybe I'm giving him too much credit at that) doing the bidding of an owner who lacks the determination to hire the right leadership/personnel or to take the risks and spend the $ necessary to build a winning team.

1 hour ago, tiger337 said:

Wouldn't want to block all those great outfield prospects, now would we? 

Knowing Gardenhire, he'd just play them at SS and 3B anyway.  

14 hours ago, tiger337 said:

I think chasfh demonstrated in another thread that the Tigers get better attendance when they lose fewer games.  Regardless, I always want them to try to win games.  There is no point for me to watch sports if my favorite team does not try to win.  

It makes me sick to think that teams would tank year after year to try and get a top 5 pick that might one day become a cheap performer. 

Scenario: lose 110 games a year for five years in a row to have a decent shot at getting 3 above average to star level players who are cost controlled in years 5 - 14 (lets assume that the picks after years 1, 3 and 5 pan out to be plus starters, that would be pretty good). 

Those 6 years of cost control per player x 3 players x $10m/yr/player savings (being simplistic just for spitballs) vs FA comp = $180m saved over 10 years...10, 10, 20, 20, 30, 30, 20, 20, 10, 10. 

Then when the last of the 3 cost controlled plus player reaches FA, you shoot the rest of the team and start over again. 

Of course, those 3 plus players are no guarantee that you'll win or make the playoffs, even with their low salaries.  In all likelihood they will have to spend another $60-70m/yr on another 3 - 5 FAs for at least 3-5 yrs in order to maximize their chances during the peak window....but the owner would have saved $10 -30m/year on those three draftees vs FAs.

From a fans perspective, how can 3 good to great guys who will save the owner $10-30m/yr for 10 years and hopefully a good team be worth losing 110 games a year for five years every 15 years or so? 

Why not just draft and develop the non-top-5 1st rd. picks well and manage the team well all of the time?  Losing seasons will ensue but you will never endure KL2s periodic requirement of the 5 year Rite of Epic Losing, which is antithetical to the spirit and design of competitive sports.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Does Al Avila seem more and more like Randy Smith to you guys?   He does to me.   

Are you going to follow the Mud Hens more closely than the Tigers this year?   I know its a little tricky because all the Tiger games are on TV.   

Is there a place I can watch Mud Hens games?   

I don't know if you are allowed in the park, but I believe games can be watched at fifth third stadium in Toledo for the general public.

Just now, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

I don't know if you are allowed in the park, but I believe games can be watched at fifth third stadium in Toledo for the general public.

Okay, you young punk, you..............Online..................I will go to a couple of games, but that might be a rough commute nightly.   I think I'd be willing to pay a monthly amount to watch them this year.   It's too painful to watch the parent team.