IdahoBert

2019-2020 OFFSEASON DISCUSSION THREAD

1 hour ago, IdahoBert said:

THE Héctor Santiago?

Isn't it LA instead of THE?

1 hour ago, tiger337 said:

The Cardinals have been way way more entertaining than the Marlins this century.  

We've had this discussion before. I believe you play for titles everything else is second. I'd take 1 title and 9seasons of losing over 10 seasons of playoffs and 0 titles.

You feel the differently

Not me.... My life isn't any different than if the Tigers had won in 2006, 2013, or 2012.... If they had won the WS in any of those years it means a week or two more of enjoyment at the time, but now...?  I'm still me.  

Would you rather have sex once with Jennifer Aniston or Lisa Kudrow for 10 years straight?

1 hour ago, Oblong said:

Not me.... My life isn't any different than if the Tigers had won in 2006, 2013, or 2012.... If they had won the WS in any of those years it means a week or two more of enjoyment at the time, but now...?  I'm still me.  

Would you rather have sex once with Jennifer Aniston or Lisa Kudrow for 10 years straight?

Once please

3 hours ago, Keepleyland2 said:

We've had this discussion before. I believe you play for titles everything else is second. I'd take 1 title and 9seasons of losing over 10 seasons of playoffs and 0 titles.

You feel the differently

I think if you were a season ticket holder, or attended a good amount of games each year, you’d feel differently. I know, as a paying fan, I’d find it hard to get excited about going to see a team that is booked to lose over a 100 games a year. That would suck and hanging in there for the rare Hail Mary year wouldn’t keep me as a paying customer. Judging by attendance numbers, I don’t think I’m alone here. 

The Cardinals do it right. I am impressed with their consistency. Their fans always feel like they have a real chance to make the playoffs. That’s because...they do! That’s why they have a predictable fan base. Like the players say, you just want a chance. 

I guess I have wasted my time being Tigers fans the last 34 years.  ****!

Just now, 1776 said:

I think if you were a season ticket holder, or attended a good amount of games each year, you’d feel differently. I know, as a paying fan, I’d find it hard to get excited about going to see a team that is booked to lose over a 100 games a year. That would suck and hanging in there for the rare Hail Mary year wouldn’t keep me as a paying customer. Judging by attendance numbers, I don’t think I’m alone here. 

The Cardinals do it right. I am impressed with their consistency. Their fans always feel like they have a real chance to make the playoffs. That’s because...they do! That’s why they have a predictable fan base. Like the players say, you just want a chance. 

If the Tigers could have been like any other team the last 20 years, I would want it to be the Cardinals.  

I thought Jeter might lose more HOF votes for how he's run the Marlins, cleaning house and how Jeff Conine and others got treated. I guess those stories were more prominent a year or two ago but i thought it might affect more votes.

5 hours ago, Keepleyland2 said:

That's kind of like the "telephone game " version of what's going on

That is an intriguing  comment -  I don't quite understand  what you mean.

Very odd how the media every year tracks Clemens and Bonds HOF votes but we hear next to nothing about Manny. Granted, Bonds and Clemens were really good, but Manny is easily hall worthy.

If I'm voting for Clemens and Bonds, I thing I'm voting for Manny. Apparently there are writers who say, "I'm voting for two drug guys but I'm not gonna vote for three".  Who was more valuable to the Tribe, Manny or Omar? C'mon!

8 minutes ago, Chili Mac Davis said:

Very odd how the media every year tracks Clemens and Bonds HOF votes but we hear next to nothing about Manny. Granted, Bonds and Clemens were really good, but Manny is easily hall worthy.

If I'm voting for Clemens and Bonds, I thing I'm voting for Manny. Apparently there are writers who say, "I'm voting for two drug guys but I'm not gonna vote for three".  Who was more valuable to the Tribe, Manny or Omar? C'mon!

Manny was actually suspended for PED use, unlike Clemens and Bonds. 

54 minutes ago, bobrob2004 said:

Manny was actually suspended for PED use, unlike Clemens and Bonds. 

True. But it doesn't get talked about much. So there are three levels of players:

• Non druggies
  • Druggies who didn't get caught
  • Druggies who got caught

Using this breakdown would/will help Clemens and Bonds get elected. 

5 hours ago, Oblong said:

I like the way you think. Sometimes I think we’re twins.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

I can't imagine Boras would have advised against any long term deal, but I can't imagine a team offering 4 years, $20M total either.

I was thinking more along the lines of turning down 2/30, or 3/40, as unserious offers, believing there might be a 4/60 or better out there. I wonder whether that might have happened.

2 hours ago, 1776 said:

I think if you were a season ticket holder, or attended a good amount of games each year, 

I attended about 60 games a year growing up. still feel teh same way. The goal is to win championship not win divisons. 

2 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

That is an intriguing  comment -  I don't quite understand  what you mean.

That's its like if you took everything that's happening with google/facebook/socail media via journalism. Told it to five other people and asked the fifth person to repeat it back

2 hours ago, Chili Mac Davis said:

True. But it doesn't get talked about much. So there are three levels of players:

• Non druggies
  • Druggies who didn't get caught
  • Druggies who got caught

Using this breakdown would/will help Clemens and Bonds get elected. 

but bonds admitted to their use

7 hours ago, Casimir said:

Isn't it LA instead of THE?

Hector is a lady? 

6 hours ago, Oblong said:

Lisa Kudrow was always my favorite, so, yeah, I’ll take Lisa for ten years, preferably mid 80s to mid 90s.

6 hours ago, Keepleyland2 said:

You feel the differently

So basically 2006 through 2014 was a complete waste of time. Do I have that straight?

26 minutes ago, Keepleyland2 said:

but bonds admitted to their use

so he can't be admitted - and since his accomplishments stand far above the rest, they can't be either if he isn't? Bonds says he juiced so other people wouldn't get credit he thought he deserved - seems he's still accomplishing that part in an odd way.

7 minutes ago, chasfh said:

So basically 2006 through 2014 was a complete waste of time. Do I have that straight?

Who said waste of time? I had fun, you had fun. 

But, it fell short of the goal. If you told me we could have 100 loses years for all but 2012, but you gave me a title that year. I'd take that over what we had.