IdahoBert

2019-2020 OFFSEASON DISCUSSION THREAD

1 hour ago, Oblong said:

Once in like 2010 Scherzer got rocked by the Red Sox. papi hit a ball out by the statues or something like that. After the game when I got home I suggested a trip to Toledo.  I was told that was an idiotic idea, that smart orgs don’t do that crap and the tigers aren’t dumb.  

overnight sent him to Toledo. 

Fun to revisit:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shelton said:

Fun to revisit:

I was so wrong on him. I’m glad though.  I was trying to think of the biggest playoff moment from 2011-2014 and I think it was when he came out of the bullpen against Oakland.  

I did like my “should I move this thread to the minor league forum?” 

I get on ok with sportz on twitter.  He’s an ******* but admits it.  The negativity can be too much but it’s entertaining.  

Just now, Oblong said:

I was so wrong on him. I’m glad though.  I was trying to think of the biggest playoff moment from 2011-2014 and I think it was when he came out of the bullpen against Oakland.  

I get on ok with sportz on twitter.  He’s an ******* but admits it.  The negativity can be too much but it’s entertaining.  

I'm wrong 9 times out of 10 but Scherzer was one of the times I was actually right.  I always believed in going back to his days in Arizona, in fact I remember using my #1 waiver pick to pick him up in my Fantasy league when it was announced Arizona was calling him up.   

And yeah him coming out of the bullpen and getting out of that bases loaded jams was probably my favorite moment from him and maybe my favorite moment while being in attendance.  I was sitting about 5 rows back half way between 3rd base and the foul pole and from my vantage point I thought that 3rd out was going to be a bases clearing gapper but Austin comfortably got under it.  Such an awesome moment.  

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Oblong said:

He moved the goal posts one too many times and I had a Billy Madison "I'm dumber for having listened" moment, so just cut bait and blocked him so I didn't have to deal with it anymore.  I forget what the coup de gras was, but it was the supreme pizza of logical fallacies.

Edit: found it... He was saying poor international free agent signings under Avila were a main reason that the Tigers were bad under Avila and kept doubling down on it. Guys in his first J2 class were still 19 at the time.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Oblong said:

Once in like 2010 Scherzer got rocked by the Red Sox. papi hit a ball out by the statues or something like that. After the game when I got home I suggested a trip to Toledo.  I was told that was an idiotic idea, that smart orgs don’t do that crap and the tigers aren’t dumb.  

Hee-Hee

Screenshot_20200119-165114_Chrome.thumb.jpg.b901ad9419e3d47e7edfd01639774b43.jpg

4 hours ago, Oblong said:

That's an interesting case study in retrospect. I imagine both sides of that debate still believe they were right. On the one hand the folks who argue along with Max that he had already analyzed his problem and was in the process of fixing it, evidenced by the fact that he dominated in his two Hen's starts, and those that  maintain he needed a wake-up call.

1 hour ago, Oblong said:

This is how I see it.  I get why people don't like him, but I get along with him.  He is pretty knowledgeable, although no more so than a lot of others I follow.  Like you  said, he is too negative, but entertaining.  He is kind like an obnoxious talk radio guy, except a little smarter.  

1 hour ago, Oblong said:

Frankly, I can’t think of many things more annoying than a person who is an ******* proudly admitting they are an *******. 

• Like 2

I'm sure it was a late round flyer that had no intention of signing but I can't believe this is the first that I'm hearing of this.  Please tell me I'm not the only one that didn't know this. 

FIGURES STUPID AVILA WOULD DRAFT A FOOTBALL PLAYER !!!

Actually, I remember his father but not him. 

56 minutes ago, Shelton said:

Frankly, I can’t think of many things more annoying than a person who is an ******* proudly admitting they are an *******. 

How about an ******* who thinks people like him?  

1 hour ago, RandyMarsh said:

I'm sure it was a late round flyer that had no intention of signing but I can't believe this is the first that I'm hearing of this.  Please tell me I'm not the only one that didn't know this. 

My wife didn’t, either.

sportz or triple 7 or tyrus?

or mattingly?  or one man's fool?

so many memories...

whatever happened to cioe and his amazing mustache?

23 minutes ago, Buddha said:

so many memories...

Caputo and Dickerson's call in show comes up on my podcast feed. I am fairly certain 777 called in there a couple weeks ago.

3 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

That's an interesting case study in retrospect. I imagine both sides of that debate still believe they were right. On the one hand the folks who argue along with Max that he had already analyzed his problem and was in the process of fixing it, evidenced by the fact that he dominated in his two Hen's starts, and those that  maintain he needed a wake-up call.

Being at the game probably amped up my aggressiveness.  For some reason the 09 and 10 seasons were tough in person.  After that I adapted a carefree attitude.  Could have been what was going on in my personal life at the time.  My dad was going through his final stages so the “get away from life” angle was something I was hoping for.  If that didn’t work out then I was especially aggravated. 

55 minutes ago, Buddha said:

so many memories...

I vote for Tyrus.  His one redeeming quality though is that he loves Tigers history.   

777 was hilarious.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

I'm wrong 9 times out of 10 but Scherzer was one of the times I was actually right.  I always believed in going back to his days in Arizona, in fact I remember using my #1 waiver pick to pick him up in my Fantasy league when it was announced Arizona was calling him up.   

And yeah him coming out of the bullpen and getting out of that bases loaded jams was probably my favorite moment from him and maybe my favorite moment while being in attendance.  I was sitting about 5 rows back half way between 3rd base and the foul pole and from my vantage point I thought that 3rd out was going to be a bases clearing gapper but Austin comfortably got under it.  Such an awesome moment.  

I have a fun internet story on Scherzer.  I was talking to another Tigers fan who was a really big fan of Tim Lincecum.  He said I should pick an NL pitcher to follow, being that it was the other league the Tigers weren't in there would be no conflict of interests.  So I studied young NL pitchers and decided to pick Max Scherzer.  A few months later the Tigers traded for him and the rest is history.  Both Lincecum and Scherzer took off in opposite directions a few years later.  

38 minutes ago, bobrob2004 said:

I have a fun internet story on Scherzer.  I was talking to another Tigers fan who was a really big fan of Tim Lincecum.  He said I should pick an NL pitcher to follow, being that it was the other league the Tigers weren't in there would be no conflict of interests.  So I studied young NL pitchers and decided to pick Max Scherzer.  A few months later the Tigers traded for him and the rest is history.  Both Lincecum and Scherzer took off in opposite directions a few years later.  

Cioe?

1 hour ago, tiger337 said:

Cioe?

anyone whose avatar was Immanuel Kant couldn't have been all bad....

• Like 1

3 hours ago, tiger337 said:

I vote for Tyrus.  His one redeeming quality though is that he loves Tigers history.   

777 was hilarious.  

Tyrus was not very nice.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

anyone whose avatar was Immanuel Kant couldn't have been all bad....

When Eric was moving and tired of dragging his library around he sent me a couple boxes of his philosophy texts. Really great stuff. Plato, Kant, Hegel, Nietzsche, Heidegger…  I love the guy. I suspect he got tired of social media which is a good sign. 

On 1/17/2020 at 5:42 PM, RandyMarsh said:

Small sample size so obviously could just be a fluke but that is a pretty damn big difference. 

Hot take is hot!

What does Dieter Kurtenbach make of Jose Altuve's 2017 regular season splits?

• Home: .834
  • Away: 1.081

And who the **** is Dieter Kurtenbach, anyway?