IdahoBert

2019-2020 OFFSEASON DISCUSSION THREAD

50 minutes ago, Lei Pong said:

I'm surprised that none of the cheating involved drones.  Cheating with a drone seems so...high tech.  Definitely something the Astros would have embraced

Trevor Bauer is working on that.

2 hours ago, Chili Mac Davis said:

I could foresee the "no-catcher shift" developing sometime in the not too distant future. It will probably start in Tampa - that's where these things always start. It goes like this: With no one on base, you move the catcher to become a fifth infielder (or 4th outfielder if Stanton or JD are up to bat). You essentially don't need the catcher if no one's on base.  Yes, the pitch will go straight through to the umpire but - think about it - by then we won't have home plate umpires. The first baseman and third baseman will take turns retrieving the pitches. Once a runner gets on base, the catcher would return to his traditional position behind the plate.

Like I said, look for Tampa to develop this once the home plate umps not required to be behind the plate calling balls and strikes. Tampa presses the envelope.

I'd imagine there's a rule saying you have to have a catcher. Or there would be one as soon as they tried this. 

1 minute ago, Yoda said:

I'd imagine there's a rule saying you have to have a catcher. Or there would be one as soon as they tried this. 

Actually, I think there is.

18 minutes ago, Oblong said:

I assumed it was sarcastic....

Given the poster, who knows. 

If they did try that couldn’t the hitter just swing and miss it on purpose then run to first since it’s “dropped”?

If the catcher is not behind the plate, the penalty is a balk. The balk penalty with no one on base counts as a ball. 

Apparently, the Tigers as a team are safe from being involved in this cheating scandal. Either that, or they are just really bad at it.

8 hours ago, Shelton said:

If the catcher is not behind the plate, the penalty is a balk. The balk penalty with no one on base counts as a ball. 

Not to get technical... unless the rule has changed since my umpiring days. It is actually an illegal pitch (dead ball, ball). An illegal pitch with a runner on is a balk.

Interesting that both Ozuna and Castellanos are still unsigned, a few weeks before the start of spring training.  If this were any of the last three offseasons, that would not seem unusual, but the market moved much faster this year.

I’m sure both players are linked to each other.  Both have good offensive profiles, with Ozuna posting the defensive advantage but also carrying a qualifying offer.

Ultimately, I don’t see a team sacrificing both a big contract and a draft pick for Ozuna, so I see him going to St. Louis and Castellanos to the Rangers. 

6 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

Interesting that both Ozuna and Castellanos are still unsigned, a few weeks before the start of spring training.  If this were any of the last three offseasons, that would not seem unusual, but the market moved much faster this year.

I’m sure both players are linked to each other.  Both have good offensive profiles, with Ozuna posting the defensive advantage but also carrying a qualifying offer.

Ultimately, I don’t see a team sacrificing both a big contract and a draft pick for Ozuna, so I see him going to St. Louis and Castellanos to the Rangers. 

I saw mention within the last week of Texas thinking about Castellanos for 1B.

2 minutes ago, Casimir said:

I saw mention within the last week of Texas thinking about Castellanos for 1B.

Me, too.  A bit risky, given that Nick has a track record showing he struggles everywhere he plays.  I do think he can handle it, though—he should have embraced it when the Tigers asked before last season. 

2 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

Me, too.  A bit risky, given that Nick has a track record showing he struggles everywhere he plays.  I do think he can handle it, though—he should have embraced it when the Tigers asked before last season. 

I don't know what the Rangers are doing for 1B.  Ronald Guzman played 81 games at 1B, but I think in the same article it was mentioned that Texas would like to move him from 1B.  Danny Santana got some playing time there, but I think they like him more as a utility player.  Joey Gallo played there a bit in 2017 & 2018, but not one inning in 2019.  Todd Frazier has spent a little bit of time at 1B in the past.  And they've also got Shin Shoo Choo as the likely DH. 

58 minutes ago, Casimir said:

I guess I will never understand the fascination around here with sportz.

Honestly, I blocked him a while ago on there, but saw a tweet not showing up in response to one of mine, so investigated. I figured I would share with those who remember him from these parts.

56 minutes ago, Casimir said:

I guess I will never understand the fascination around here with sportz.

He used to encourage people he found on other sites to come to this one for a better level of discussion, which either helped build this place up (or not, depending on your view!). Somewhere along the line he lost track that civility is part of the quality of any discourse.

Just a complete a-hole, probably the most complete a-hole that we've ever had here.  No particular expertise, other than to regurge stuff he read elsewhere.

• Thanks 1

Once in like 2010 Scherzer got rocked by the Red Sox. papi hit a ball out by the statues or something like that. After the game when I got home I suggested a trip to Toledo.  I was told that was an idiotic idea, that smart orgs don’t do that crap and the tigers aren’t dumb.  

overnight sent him to Toledo. 

14 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Somewhere along the line he lost track that civility is part of the quality of any discourse.

My guess is lost that trait before he signed up for MTS.  He may have had some knowledge, but the guy was (probably still is) a complete and utter *** bag.

I liked how he went off on twitter about the Tigers drafting Mize cause he didn't have a "swing and miss fastball like Fulmer". 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

I liked how he went off on twitter about the Tigers drafting Mize cause he didn't have a "swing and miss fastball like Fulmer". 

That's a perfect example of how he knows SFA.  The other thing that he used to do is imply that he had some sort of insight into the Tigers' senior management, and then it turned out that he was acquainted with a team doctor.  Hilarious.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Oblong said:

Once in like 2010 Scherzer got rocked by the Red Sox. papi hit a ball out by the statues or something like that. After the game when I got home I suggested a trip to Toledo.  I was told that was an idiotic idea, that smart orgs don’t do that crap and the tigers aren’t dumb.  

overnight sent him to Toledo. 

Bought an extra year, too.

Edit: never mind. That was true of Porcello though