IdahoBert

2019-2020 OFFSEASON DISCUSSION THREAD

5 hours ago, IdahoBert said:

This is getting more and more fun all the time. In a fantasy world where wish fulfillment was queen the Red Sox and the Astros organizations would be closed down and their players sent to other 28 teams meaning that the Tigers would get first dibs. 

I want Altuve.

Seems like the better choice is to go after part of the "technology crew" that's transferring the information at quick speeds.

So, I don't know, but wouldn't this encourage pitchers to get the ball, get set, and pitch just as soon as the catcher issues the signal?  Cut down on the time in between agreeing on the pitch and throwing the pitch?  It seems like there is often wasted time in between those two points which allows for the transfer of information using the video room.  Maybe it doesn't seem like much, but its enough to transfer from the video room to the trash can / buzzing band aids.

Just use earpieces and call for pitches from the dugout with the catcher having the option to signal something different if he wants.

22 minutes ago, Casimir said:

Seems like the better choice is to go after part of the "technology crew" that's transferring the information at quick speeds.

So, I don't know, but wouldn't this encourage pitchers to get the ball, get set, and pitch just as soon as the catcher issues the signal?  Cut down on the time in between agreeing on the pitch and throwing the pitch?  It seems like there is often wasted time in between those two points which allows for the transfer of information using the video room.  Maybe it doesn't seem like much, but its enough to transfer from the video room to the trash can / buzzing band aids.

But then they wouldn't be able to show a commercial in between pitches. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

With or without buzzer?

buzzer - no

clapper - yes

I have to admit, I am enjoying the embarrassment the league is experiencing over this cheating issue that is getting huge attention. Mr. Arrogant, Rob Manfred, has got a pile of excrement sitting in his lap right now and he can’t walk away from it. I believe he’s losing credibility in light of this mess. He and the owners should give their ‘holier than thou’ attitudes toward the minor leagues a breather right now and focus on the real problems, which I believe go further than has been learned.

Manfred is a sell-out. He sold out to Nike so they could their logo on every MLB game jersey. One billion dollar sell-out. I’ve never been a Yankees fan but seeing that ugly logo on those pinstripes is a shame. The owners are all in as well. The Tigers home uni does NOT need that stupid logo on their jersey, it sucks.

30 minutes ago, sabretooth said:

buzzer - no

clapper - yes

31OeR8SZw1L._AC_.jpg

MLB might have a new advertising resource here.

6 hours ago, IdahoBert said:

This is getting more and more fun all the time. In a fantasy world where wish fulfillment was queen the Red Sox and the Astros organizations would be closed down and their players sent to other 28 teams meaning that the Tigers would get first dibs. 

And the Tigers choose Justin Verlander? Or a prospect, like the Astros AA batboy?

So maybe the Tigers attempted to also cheat? Only they sent their hitters the wrong signal...fastball on the way and we'll tell them it's a change up. You havta know proper tanking techniques, amiright? 

35 minutes ago, 1776 said:

I have to admit, I am enjoying the embarrassment the league is experiencing over this cheating issue that is getting huge attention. Mr. Arrogant, Rob Manfred, has got a pile of excrement sitting in his lap right now and he can’t walk away from it. I believe he’s losing credibility in light of this mess. He and the owners should give their ‘holier than thou’ attitudes toward the minor leagues a breather right now and focus on the real problems, which I believe go further than has been learned.

Manfred is a sell-out. He sold out to Nike so they could their logo on every MLB game jersey. One billion dollar sell-out. I’ve never been a Yankees fan but seeing that ugly logo on those pinstripes is a shame. The owners are all in as well. The Tigers home uni does NOT need that stupid logo on their jersey, it sucks.

Manfred sold out when he made the agreement with FanDuel.  MLB and gambling, such a great match! 

i couldnt care less if there is a nike symbol on a uniform.

19 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

Manfred sold out when he made the agreement with FanDuel.  MLB and gambling, such a great match! 

I still can’t believe Manfred invented gambling on baseball. Bad idea.

55 minutes ago, 1776 said:

I'm kinda enjoying the silence of Verlander in all of this.  He was the most vocal of cheating before he went to the Astros and now he is in the middle of the biggest scandal since the Black Sox.  

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, bobrob2004 said:

I'm kinda enjoying the silence of Verlander in all of this.  He was the most vocal of cheating before he went to the Astros and now he is in the middle of the biggest scandal since the Black Sox.  

The guys that have been identified as being participants, or knowledgeable of this, should be banned from baseball. There is no way Verlander didn’t know what was going on. 

2 hours ago, Charles Liston said:

I want Altuve.

I'm trying to think who, given contract status, is the most valuable guy to get on these two teams...

I think you can make the case for Yordan Alvarez... or Devers

Verlander‘s in an awkward position. Pitchers, from my understanding, are kind of a subculture that have more in common with each other than with any hitters or hitters on their own teams.

So this whole deal where other pitchers are getting screwed by Astros hitters in an unprecedented manner reflects poorly upon Astros hurlers who knew about it. Mike Fiers apparently didn’t like it. 

There’s also a psychological group-think thing at play here that makes going against the prevailing current difficult for anyone. So there’s a good chance I suppose that other hurlers recognize they would’ve probably not functioned much differently than Verlander in these circumstances. this may be why Manfred says it’s just not practical to go around punishing individual players

1 hour ago, 1776 said:

I have to admit, I am enjoying the embarrassment the league is experiencing over this cheating issue that is getting huge attention.

I don't know, I don't think its very enjoyable.  I mean, I clearly don't have an issue making snarky comments, but that's just because I'm a peckerhead.  I think it's good that this is out in the open and MLB has to deal with it.  But it probably shouldn't have come to this.  It seems like current technology of cameras (which isn't really all the new anyway) and video rooms right outside of the dugout (relatively new with replay) should have been dealt with at the very latest with the Apple watch thing.

The reactions feel like outrage culture to me, but I also think this (technology aided sign stealing) was a predictable outcome and suspect it is more widespread.

I'm enjoying it. Hopefully Manfred will quit soon. 

1 hour ago, Shelton said:

I still can’t believe Manfred invented gambling on baseball. Bad idea.

It is hypocritical.  The players get banned if they are associated with gambling.  So, why is it OK for MLB to do it?

8 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

It is hypocritical.  The players get banned if they are associated with gambling.  So, why is it OK for MLB to do it?

Because “the business of America is business.“ It’s OK when business people do it but when players do it it’s not because that’s what the owners say.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, IdahoBert said:

Because “the business of America is business.“ It’s OK when business people do it but when players do it it’s not because that’s what the owners say.

Every child knows the meaning of "do as I say, not as I do" from the age of about 3 onward. Nothing in life changes a lot from that point forward.