A solar superman
You're a pitcher with a changeup of fire
A flying, giant groundball machine...

16 hours ago, tiger337 said:

They can still sign Walker.  

Probably wouldn't be a bad idea.

1 hour ago, Casimir said:

Probably wouldn't be a bad idea.

They need at least another starting pitcher anyway.  

According to Sportrac, ..these starting pitchers, all age 31 or younger, are still available via Free Agency:

Taijuan Walker, Jared Eickhoff,  Danny Salazar, Shelby Miller, Erasmo Ramirez, Drew Smyly, Dan Straily.

7 pitchers at league minimum $563,500 each = slightly less than $4m.

Why not attempt to sign all at minimum ..and invite all to Spring Training? 

38 minutes ago, Tigrrfan said:

According to Sportrac, ..these starting pitchers, all age 31 or younger, are still available via Free Agency:

Taijuan Walker, Jared Eickhoff,  Danny Salazar, Shelby Miller, Erasmo Ramirez, Drew Smyly, Dan Straily.

I'd guess it'll take more than minimum for a few of them.

The idea reminds me of when they offered the same contract to Rondell White and Reggie Sanders with the intent of signing only one of them.

Not only that, but I'd rather take the minimum with another pooper club that has less guys fighting for a spot than sign with 6 other guys to complete for a spot in Detroit.

I will remain patient enough between now and April and then see how many of those 7 pitchers end up signed for minimum$ ..or not signed at all.

Then what?

Ron Gardenhire tells his players that their goal for the upcoming season must be to reach the World Series .. because setting realistic goals for the players is something that will motivate them to maximize their potential !!!

Yeah, I don’t understand why we have seven open spots on the 47-man roster and AA isn’t using them. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tigrrfan said:

git er done AA.

lots of reclamation projects out there they should be kicking the tires on.  

On 1/13/2020 at 10:08 PM, Buddha said:

how pissed are you going to be when you find out the tigers were doing the same thing for years?

You're allowed to cheat, but not use technology.

On 1/13/2020 at 4:24 PM, Tigrrfan said:

Highly doubt Luhnow could ever be a successful GM again.  Any team/GM who feels they were cheated by Luhnow might never agree to any trades.  

In fact, highly doubt Luhnow and Hinch will ever find a meaningful job in MLB again.  For all practical purposes ..their MLB careers may be finished.

Alex Cora might be next.  

Hmmm?  Could DD be implicated too?

As I understand it, Luhnow denies knowing anything about the cheating, and there is no evidence that he did.  And God knows we can use a smart GM with a track record of success.

Also, I'll gladly take Hinch over Illadvisedhire or any new manager that Al Avila might scrape off the bottom of a dumpster.  No manager of Gaylord Perry ever got fired because GP threw spitters,  and no manager of Whitey Ford ever got fired because WF cut baseballs.  I don't see why Hinch's career should be over as a result of this. 

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, Tigrrfan said:

Cause why would they want to come, get cut and be in the same boat in a month?

Not to mention some of them just arent very good. At some point good players become bad, for some it happens before 30.

I think people forget it takes more than one party to agree to a free agent contract. And just because a guy was once good does not mean he is good now or could return to that level.

6 minutes ago, Keepleyland2 said:

Not to mention some of them just arent very good. At some point good players become bad, for some it happens before 30.

I think people forget it takes more than one party to agree to a free agent contract. And just because a guy was once good does not mean he is good now or could return to that level.

Hogwash.  I used to hit "force trade" on my computer all the time and I could get anyone I wanted.  I was the best GM ever in MVP Baseball 2005. The Tigers should hire me.  

4 hours ago, Shelton said:

Yeah, I don’t understand why we have seven open spots on the 47-man roster and AA isn’t using them. 

Because that's seven guys the Tigers don't have to pay?

19 hours ago, tiger337 said:

yeah, but you don't like anybody.  

Here's the official list of Tigers currently on the 40 man that I like:

Matt Boyd

Miguel Cabrera 

Isaac Paredes 

As you can see, the idea that I don't like anybody is completely false. Will any other players earn their way onto my like list this season? Doubtful. But I'll give an outside chance to Stewart Jiminez, Cameron, and maybe some of our pitching prospects if they get called up. 

How many days until the first Detroit Tigers exhibition game?

ap_7b66c7b270344bf09c2c62a763076520.jpg

The 2020 Tigers ZiPS are up and available at FanGraphs. Highlights:

Batters

The Detroit Tigers will continue to struggle to score runs. I don’t mean in the “occasionally getting shut out by the Orioles” sense, but more like when you’re watching Tigers games, you should channel flip when they’re at the plate rather than during the commercials. What makes this worse isn’t that they’re just awful offensively, but that there’s really almost no source of potential upside outside of Jeimer Candelario.

Pitchers

One reason the Tigers may be more watchable than the Orioles in 2020 is that the games will actually end. The Tigers combine their atrocious run-scoring machine with a rotation that, to be perfectly honest, really isn’t all that bad. No, the heights aren’t that high, but the Tigers have what essentially amounts to a surplus of adequate-ish pitching. This sounds like a joke, but it isn’t: a rotation made of Detroit’s sixth-through-10th-best starting pitchers projects to be better than Baltimore’s actual rotation ... The bullpen’s projections are nowhere near as optimistic, but they really ought not be at this point in a rebuild; Detroit’s still going through the sorting-out process here, and some of the starting pitching prospects that don’t work out will likely end up as relievers. The one exception is Joe Jiménez, the only member of the bullpen that ZiPS has projected to better than league-average.

Prospects

When counting pitchers with 10 projected WAR remaining in their careers, ZiPS sees the Tigers as having nine of them. The 2020 projections aren’t complete yet, but this would have ranked them fourth among the 2019 teams. Matt Manning and Casey Mize project to have bright futures, both with significant ace-type upside, and while ZiPS isn’t quite as optimistic about his ceiling, the computer also thinks Tarik Skubal has a 60% chance to have multiple two-WAR seasons in the majors.

The challenge for Detroit is that they’re not going to be able to just sit on their pitching prospects to build a winner. If ZiPS is correct, the only player in the farm system who will ever have much value in the majors is Isaac Paredes.

Tigers-20-1.png

The Olde English font on the graphic is a nice touch.

2 hours ago, Keepleyland2 said:

Apparently you took it literally ..which signals to me that you totally missed the point!

18 minutes ago, six-hopper said:

Because that's seven guys the Tigers don't have to pay?

Good one .. but you may also have missed the point!  

6 minutes ago, chasfh said:

The 2020 Tigers ZiPS are up and available at FanGraphs. Highlights:

Batters

The Detroit Tigers will continue to struggle to score runs. I don’t mean in the “occasionally getting shut out by the Orioles” sense, but more like when you’re watching Tigers games, you should channel flip when they’re at the plate rather than during the commercials. What makes this worse isn’t that they’re just awful offensively, but that there’s really almost no source of potential upside outside of Jeimer Candelario.

Pitchers

One reason the Tigers may be more watchable than the Orioles in 2020 is that the games will actually end. The Tigers combine their atrocious run-scoring machine with a rotation that, to be perfectly honest, really isn’t all that bad. No, the heights aren’t that high, but the Tigers have what essentially amounts to a surplus of adequate-ish pitching. This sounds like a joke, but it isn’t: a rotation made of Detroit’s sixth-through-10th-best starting pitchers projects to be better than Baltimore’s actual rotation ... The bullpen’s projections are nowhere near as optimistic, but they really ought not be at this point in a rebuild; Detroit’s still going through the sorting-out process here, and some of the starting pitching prospects that don’t work out will likely end up as relievers. The one exception is Joe Jiménez, the only member of the bullpen that ZiPS has projected to better than league-average.

Prospects

When counting pitchers with 10 projected WAR remaining in their careers, ZiPS sees the Tigers as having nine of them. The 2020 projections aren’t complete yet, but this would have ranked them fourth among the 2019 teams. Matt Manning and Casey Mize project to have bright futures, both with significant ace-type upside, and while ZiPS isn’t quite as optimistic about his ceiling, the computer also thinks Tarik Skubal has a 60% chance to have multiple two-WAR seasons in the majors.

The challenge for Detroit is that they’re not going to be able to just sit on their pitching prospects to build a winner. If ZiPS is correct, the only player in the farm system who will ever have much value in the majors is Isaac Paredes.

Tigers-20-1.png

The Olde English font on the graphic is a nice touch.

Yes, a nice touch. Misspelling Fulmer’s name, not so much. 

Nothing surprising in those zips projections. Especially the outlook on the position prospects. This is a big year for them. Almost each one of them took a step back in 2019, but if some of them rebound in 2020, things will look better.