IdahoBert

2019-2020 OFFSEASON DISCUSSION THREAD

1 minute ago, Tenacious D said:

Don't forget Rule V guy.  LIke I did.

I don't even care enough about him to learn his name.  

1 minute ago, bobrob2004 said:

I don't even care enough about him to learn his name.  

I'll make the effort if he's still on the active roster come May 1.  Until then, he's Rule 5 guy.

37 minutes ago, bobrob2004 said:

Among everyone with at least 500 innings over the past 4 years, Zimmermann is 7th in IP/start.

Wade Miley - 5.14 IP/start

Chase Anderson - 5.16 IP/start

Blake Snell - 5.22 IP/start

Jhoulys Chacin - 5.23 IP/start

Kenta Maeda - 5.30 IP/start

Jake Odorizzi - 5.32 IP/start

Jordan Zimmermann - 5.32 IP/start

Zimmermann also has the highest ERA at 5.62 in 505 2/3 IP when he was a starter.  The 2nd highest is James Shields at 5.16.  Every other pitcher who has pitched at least 500 innings as a starter over the past 4 years has an ERA below 5.  

24 minutes ago, Tigrrfan said:

What is the relavence of that?

He still has averaged only 102 IP's the last 4 years ..and nothing that I am aware of exists to suggest his injury woes have abated!

19 minutes ago, bobrob2004 said:

You were discussing "inning eaters."  In terms of averaging innings/start, Zimmermann was one of the worst since joining the Tigers. I was backing up your points.  

Whew! That is much better!  Thanks for the clarification!  

I initially thought you were suggesting that JZ was 7th best in IP's/9.  

He Bad .. very bad!

19 minutes ago, bobrob2004 said:

In terms of the best "innings eaters" over the last 4 years:

Corey Kluber - 6.63 IP/start

Max Scherzer - 6.58 IP/start

Clayton Kershaw - 6.50 IP/start

Jacob deGrom - 6.47 IP/start

Justin Verlander - 6.45 IP/start

Of course the most durable pitchers are usually the best pitchers.

I'd say the best pitchers are the least likely to be pulled early.

2 hours ago, Tigrrfan said:

Then why are you being a contrarian?  Because seems without a doubt that you are viewing things via a very very narrow perspective.

Nova already brings potential upside to the Tigers because he can provide 170+ innings at 4.50 or better ERA.  THAT is already better than any Tiger starter provided last year.   Matt Boyd had 185 IP's & 4.56 ERA.  Spencer Turnbull had 148 IP's & 4.61 ERA.  Daniel Norris had 144 IP's & 4.49 ERA.  Jordan Zimmermann had 112 IP's & 6.91 ERA!!! No other Tiger starting pitcher had more than 57 IP's or better than 4.86 ERA.

And couldn't the Tigers still take another chance on Matt Moore?  Not likely to happen because he already had his chance last year ..but they still could if they wanted to.

As for Nova maybe bringing 180 innings at 5 ERA ..could he not just as easily bring 180 innings at 4 ERA?  

No Tiger fan anywhere wants to see the team bring up any combination of minor league starting pitchers just to see 180 innings at 5 ERA.  I'd rather see a stable veteran pitcher do that rather than go through any more horrible minor league flops.

Finally, how can obtaining Nova at $1.5m not be a good thing since the team is not going to compete anyway?

not liking a signing doesnt make me a contrarian, it means i didnt like the signing.

29 minutes ago, Buddha said:

not liking a signing doesnt make me a contrarian, it means i didnt like the signing.

True .. but neither does being called one.

I am not fond of the signing .. but I still see it as a decent acquisition for the money ..and believe it was better than signing Walker.  And who knows that they didn't already offer Walker the same money and he turned it down?  Do you know?

As for signing Nova ..& Truth be known .. I'd rather they signed Garritt Cole and Stephan Strasburg.  Unfortunately, both of them wanted more than 1yr/$1.5m!

10 hours ago, 1776 said:

Will Daniel Norris ever get the green light to go more than three innings? This guy has been an eggshell for several years running now. A successful season for him is being defined as staying healthy. Starter or pen?

Norris will not be under any innings limitations this season. Last season they wanted to keep him under ~150 as he had only thrown about 50 innings in '18 and about 110 in '17. Coming off of a 144IP season they will let him go right up near 200 if he can stay in the lineup and stay in games to do it.

19 hours ago, Sports_Freak said:

If you really think about it, this really throws a wrench in all the stats of the opposing pitchers, the Astro hitters and the victories for the Astros. The Astros were/are a very, very good team. Did they only cheat in the playoffs? Or some regular season games too?

I know. The idea that everyone on the team gets drawn into it willy-nilly is disconcerting too. I’m not going to blame the players explicitly for doing everything possible to win. But there should’ve been “an adult in the room“ to say “this is going to far.“ That should’ve been the manager or the GM and that didn’t happen. All these people are fiercely competitive by nature, or they wouldn’t have gotten to where they are. This is why limits are crucial. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tigrrfan said:

True .. but neither does being called one.

I am not fond of the signing .. but I still see it as a decent acquisition for the money ..and believe it was better than signing Walker.  And who knows that they didn't already offer Walker the same money and he turned it down?  Do you know?

As for signing Nova ..& Truth be known .. I'd rather they signed Garritt Cole and Stephan Strasburg.  Unfortunately, both of them wanted more than 1yr/$1.5m!

i think you could very well be right and that my knee jerk reaction could have been wrong.

but i still dont like it.  :)

31 minutes ago, Buddha said:

i think you could very well be right and that my knee jerk reaction could have been wrong.

but i still dont like it.  :)

I think we look at the Nova signing and we say, "OK. I guess this is our guy." "Here's our 4th starter."  But at $1.5 Million, we could sign a few more of these type guys.At this price range, AA should bring a couple more of this type to camp. See what works. Let them compete for the 4th starter position. We can afford that.

For what it's worth Yahoo Fantasy Sports has him penciled in as our 8th starter.

Just now, Chili Mac Davis said:

I think we look at the Nova signing and we say, "OK. I guess this is our guy." "Here's our 4th starter."  But at $1.5 Million, we could sign a few more of these type guys.At this price range, AA should bring a couple more of this type to camp. See what works. Let them compete for the 4th starter position. We can afford that.

For what it's worth Yahoo Fantasy Sports has him penciled in as our 8th starter.

very true.

51 minutes ago, Chili Mac Davis said:

That's fantasy which is like saying the Texas tech qb is better than joe burrows

The far more reliable roster resource has him as our #3

46 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

Alex Cora is out, by “mutual” decree.

Cora, he gone!!!

12 minutes ago, pyrotigers said:

I don't like Ivan Nova

There are several guys on the roster I don’t like. What’s one more?

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, pyrotigers said:

I don't like Ivan Nova

yeah, but you don't like anybody.  

1 hour ago, Keepleyland2 said:

That's fantasy which is like saying the Texas tech qb is better than joe burrows

The far more reliable roster resource has him as our #3

Joe Burrows? You may be thinking of Beau Burrows. And yes, the Texas Tech player may be better than Beau Burrows.

Hey, for the record, Don Kelly just filled his britches again.

1 hour ago, pyrotigers said:

I don't like Ivan Nova

But I liked my Chevy Nova.............................................

19 minutes ago, roarintiger1 said:

But I liked my Chevy Nova.............................................

It did not sell well in Mexico.  No va.