IdahoBert

2019-2020 OFFSEASON DISCUSSION THREAD

1 hour ago, tiger337 said:

Tigers fourth starter is....

Ivan Nova.  

Sure, because why not? He'll take the mound every fifth day reliably and now that the White Sox are actually trying to win this year, they have no more use for him. And bonus, maybe he'll take some heat off Jordan Zimmermann.

2020-01-13_17-07-32.thumb.jpg.1cb0fd93d57de4caddec32eeca2c2478.jpg

How many days until the first Detroit Tigers exhibition game?

Jarrod+Saltalamacchia+Detroit+Tigers+v+T

I guess they got to find a couple of guys to take the mound every 5 days, but this is such an Avila signing. If Nova hits his 90th percentile ceiling he may bring back a C+ level prospect. Hard to get excited or at least find any reason for optimism at all on these types of signings.

I haven’t dug into any of the numbers so maybe I’m off but face value has me liking this much better than last years facepalms in Tyson Ross and Matt Moore.  

52 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Weaver knew the 1919 Black Sox scandal was on and didn't report it.

A scandal which, incidentally, threatened the actual existence of baseball as a business and necessitated the Hiring of Landis as a commissioner to re-establish credibility in the league.

Baseball is not going to be harmed in any meaningful way because of Hinch's actions.

Weaver knew the 1919 Black Sox scandal was on and didn’t report it.

As manager of the team, Hinch knew the Houston Astros were cheating and done nothing stop it.

To what degree the game is harmed, or not harmed, should be irrelevant when weighing justice and punishment in either case. Both individuals knowingly remained silent while being knowledgeable that games they were directly involved in were not being played on the level. Weaver was found guilty by Landis for cheating and banned from the game. I see absolutely no difference in Hinch’s actions and what Weaver did. Hinch should be banned from the game. I don’t see why there is even a conversation around this.

Did anyone see the recent story on Bobby Thompson’s, “Shot Heard Around the World?” The story follows that he probably knew what pitch was coming, or at least what pitch wasn’t going to be thrown. Very interesting. Apparently the Giants had a spy using some kind of telescopic device located beyond the outfield fence. Don’t recall how the information got to the batter regarding the pitch selection. I’d never heard this until the last month or so. 

• Like 1

I don't mind the Nova signing, I would have preferred to take on a higher risk higher reward type player like Salazar or Walker but Nova is definitely a safer bet and should atleast give us a bunch of innings of relatively good performance.(compared to what we were throwing out last year)

Also I don't think this is one of those signings where he intends to flip at the deadline I think it's purely a signing to atleast throw out a respectable pitcher instead of one of our AAAA guys.   

Get a load of what's floating to the top of Google for 2018 Red Sox searches.

1340600740_redsoxcheating(002).jpg.29808ca390bca27fcfda5ae734c370cd.jpg

Alex Cora could end up on baseballs permanent ineligible list

1 hour ago, Stanley68 said:

I guess they got to find a couple of guys to take the mound every 5 days, but this is such an Avila signing. If Nova hits his 90th percentile ceiling he may bring back a C+ level prospect. Hard to get excited or at least find any reason for optimism at all on these types of signings.

I don't expect anything out of Nova. All he has going for him is durability. He's in the bottom quartile of durable pitchers for the last four years. He's just there to take up the space.

Just now, Oblong said:

Alex Cora could end up on baseballs permanent ineligible list

What, did he gamble, too? 😏

1 hour ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Weaver knew the 1919 Black Sox scandal was on and didn't report it.

A scandal which, incidentally, threatened the actual existence of baseball as a business and necessitated the Hiring of Landis as a commissioner to re-establish credibility in the league.

Baseball is not going to be harmed in any meaningful way because of Hinch's actions.

I agree with this and any kind of gambling is potentially disastrous for the game.  So, yeah Pete rose deserved to be banned.  Hinch's actions are more like players taking steroids where they are cheating to win.  It is wrong and there should be a punishment but it doesn't fundamentally damage the game.  

I will add that that I am disappointed with baseball's hypocritical partnership with FanDuel. 

22 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

yup - exactly. The epic effort to get him to some kind of reproducible mechanics seems to have really cost him the drive to throw good FB with any consistency. He needs to get his body under consistent control and then *maybe* we see the FB get built back up to what he had when he came over from Toronto but has only shown flashes of since.

That is one reason I wonder if converting him to the BP would work. I think he still needs lots of innings to settle into and then develop solid muscle memory for a good delivery. Would a guy like Norris that so far has to hunt for his delivery each time out ever even find his balance points throwing 20 pitches an outing?

Good poìnt!

i hate the nova signing.  its a low ceiling give up signing for a guy who is nothing more than an innings eater and who cant be flipped for anything more than a c level prospect.

the tyson ross and matt moore signings were better even though they didnt pan out because at least they had a shot at being really good for a year and netting something of value in trade (or you keep them at a discount).  nova is nothing more than a guy who takes you from 42 wins to 44 wins.  big damn deal.

this team should be throwing money at a taijuan walker type who has the potential to be great.  who cares if you miss?  this season is nothing.

That $5 million fine is nothing. I guess owners are never going to punish themselves too severely. I would be pretty PO’d if I were a Dodgers fan. But since I’m not I can only feel good about all this.

Next up: Boston Red Sox!

$5 Mil is the maximum fine the Commissioner could levy under current rules

3 minutes ago, CMRivdog said:

$5 Mil is the maximum fine the Commissioner could levy under current rules

I know. And my guess is the people who wrote the rules are the kind of people who get fined.

3 hours ago, tiger337 said:

Tigers fourth starter is....

Ivan Nova.  

Meh. He’s not even the most accomplished member of his own family.

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Buddha said:

i hate the nova signing.  its a low ceiling give up signing for a guy who is nothing more than an innings eater and who cant be flipped for anything more than a c level prospect.

the tyson ross and matt moore signings were better even though they didnt pan out because at least they had a shot at being really good for a year and netting something of value in trade (or you keep them at a discount).  nova is nothing more than a guy who takes you from 42 wins to 44 wins.  big damn deal.

this team should be throwing money at a taijuan walker type who has the potential to be great.  who cares if you miss?  this season is nothing.

Totally agree.  Nova has near zero chance to be plus and to be trade bait.  At least Cron and Schoop might get really hot and get you something decent from a contender in a mid season deal.

Just now, sabretooth said:

Totally agree.  Nova has near zero chance to ve plus and to be trade bait.  At least Cron and Schoop might get you something in a mid season deal.

I don’t think that model works anymore.  Fiers had a sub 3.50 ERA for us and the best we received in return was Logan Shore.  Teams aren’t giving up good prospects at the deadline, save for elite talent or closers.  Regardless of how good of a season that Cron or Schoop has, I would expect very little in return for them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Not everyone has to be flipped.  They need to some major league pitchers to give them some innings so they won't be forced to bring up young pitchers who are not ready.   

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Buddha said:

Yeah. I kind of liked it at first 'cause he was cheap. But his numbers in Chicago were not good - how did he win 11 games there for that team? I feel like he's likely at his last stop after stints in Pittsburgh and the Pale Hose.

But yes, if he is good we'll "Fiers" him at the deadline.

Edit: Nova made $9.16 Million last year. I'm not sure I've seen a $7.6 Million pay cut in baseball before.

1 hour ago, Buddha said:

Totally agree.

With the removal of the Astros top two picks, the Tigers now have 4 of the top 73.

Which is nice.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 1776 said:

Did anyone see the recent story on Bobby Thompson’s, “Shot Heard Around the World?” The story follows that he probably knew what pitch was coming, or at least what pitch wasn’t going to be thrown. Very interesting. Apparently the Giants had a spy using some kind of telescopic device located beyond the outfield fence. Don’t recall how the information got to the batter regarding the pitch selection. I’d never heard this until the last month or so. 

Yes! Herman Franks, former coach of the Giants, confessed to the whole process.

He died at age 95, five days after the confession.