IdahoBert

2019-2020 OFFSEASON DISCUSSION THREAD

5 hours ago, Oblong said:

I told him we're happy with our coffee maker and don't see a need, at this time, to make any changes.  A new coffee maker is not really a fit.

WHich means tonight's dream will involve a new $2000 espresso machine, used, which questionable long term prospects.  

"At this time", ha ha nailed it.

1 hour ago, RandyMarsh said:

The Pirates just hired Erie Manager Mike Rabello to be their assistant hitting coach.  Can't believe a coach/manager in our system got hired by a MLB team to be a hitting instructor.

Esp Erie, where nobody hit, though TBF, it's been covered before that hitting was down all across Erie's league for whatever reason.

18 minutes ago, Oblong said:

Maybe they were but I have to think he’d rather be at the ML level as a coach than a manager in the minors 

Interesting question which is a quicker/better route to an MLB manager job.

1 hour ago, Tramlou said:

Zimmermann will be cut before the end of spring training.

My fantasy best case for the Tigers this Spring is they come out of ST with Boyd, Norris, Turnbull and Zimmerman for the first week or so until they need a 5th, maybe do a BP day with Garcia, then start calling up each of the Fab 4 ( Manning, Mize, Faedo, Skubal) for a 2 or 3 start only you-go-back-regardless-of-what-you-do intro. That 8 starts plus maybe a couple of BP days gets you almost to mid season, you start breaking Fulmer back in- maybe splitting starts with Garcia, Zimmermann by now is probably injured again and you release/retire him but one the guys who went back the minors is ready to come back and take the ball as a starter.

Burrows and Funkhouser are the wild cards - maybe one of them bumps Norris or Zimm coming out of the box.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

My fantasy best case for the Tigers this Spring is they come out of ST with Boyd, Norris, Turnbull and Zimmerman for the first week or so until they need a 5th, maybe do a BP day with Garcia, then start calling up each of the Fab 4 ( Manning, Mize, Faedo, Skubal) for a 2 or 3 start only you-go-back-regardless-of-what-you-do intro. That 8 starts plus maybe a couple of BP days gets you almost to mid season, you start breaking Fulmer back in- maybe splitting starts with Garcia, Zimmermann by now is probably injured again and you release/retire him but one the guys who went back the minors is ready to come back and take the ball as a starter.

Burrows and Funkhouser are the wild cards - maybe one of them bumps Norris or Zimm coming out of the box.

My fantasy best case is Zimm throws 10 no-hitters to start the season and Al trades him for a top-5 prospect.

Do you mean he will pitch a game in which 10 of his pitches are not hit?

6 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

Bitching about player salaries is un-American.  Literally.

False. Bitching about player salaries is one of the more American things going. At least it is in the America I grew up in.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

The Pirates just hired Erie Manager Mike Rabello to be their assistant hitting coach.  Can't believe a coach/manager in our system got hired by a MLB team to be a hitting instructor.

42 minutes ago, RatkoVarda said:

My fantasy best case is Zimm throws 10 no-hitters to start the season and Al trades him for a top-5 prospect.

Hey - I'm an engineer, we aren't supposed to have *that* much imagination...xD

1 hour ago, Gehringer_2 said:

This sounds fine although the main down side here is this plan gets the clock ticking on the four pitchers without keeping them on the 26-man, so they lose a year on the back end when it comes to arb/free agency.

Otherwise, **** yeah, I want to see them see as possible.

How many days until the first Detroit Tigers exhibition game?

1161694595.jpeg&c=sc&w=736&h=485

1 hour ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Well, Detroit is not a major league team at this time, so...

2 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

I don't think one route matters over the other. But I do think it's good to have both on the ole resume

2 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Throw Wentz in there.

2 hours ago, leflore said:

Do you mean he will pitch a game in which 10 of his pitches are not hit?

10 pitches are not hit...over the LF fence.

32 minutes ago, Lei Pong said:

10 pitches are not hit...over the LF fence.

Ah......that might just be an achievable dream. Probably not. But maybe

2 hours ago, tiger337 said:

Zing!

2 hours ago, tiger337 said:

You're gonna feel really silly when Cron and Schoop lead us to the wild card

2 minutes ago, Keepleyland2 said:

You're gonna feel really silly when Cron and Schoop lead us to the wild card

As manager and bench coach, 2042

14 hours ago, chasfh said:

False. Bitching about player salaries is one of the more American things going. At least it is in the America I grew up in.

Update your maps.  Some of those territories you grew up with have gained statehood.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Keepleyland2 said:

You're gonna feel really silly when Cron and Schoop lead us to the wild carp

...Fixed that for you!

500_F_139303392_9cx8XsrSGlKCuJu0MKHMKS01

2 hours ago, Casimir said:

Update your maps.  Some of those territories you grew up with have gained statehood.

Funny you mention, I have read in the papers that they made the Arizona Territory its own state, but that might be fake news. I mean, the whole thing is a god-forsaken desert, for cry eye. Nobody civilized lives there. You might as well make Alaska or Porto Rico a state.