IdahoBert

2019-2020 OFFSEASON DISCUSSION THREAD

5 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Niko didn't play short very well in 2018. I guess in '19 he must have showed them enough in terms of improving his throwing mechanics that they are more willing to play him at short. Plus W. Castro is a more of hedge against Niko not performing at short than they had going into last year.

.948 is poor. Tram could do .948 right now.

10 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

I don't expect much going forward with Fulmer but it sure would be nice if he came back strong and turned out to be a pleasant surprise.   

I don't expect much from him this season.  I am hopeful, however, he can become something after getting through 2020.  The Tigers have him under control through the 2022 season, and he's still young enough that he could be a factor for the next competitive team.  If nothing else, it'd be nice to have him as a steady piece of the rotation when the pitching prospects start trickling up.

1 hour ago, Casimir said:

I don't expect much from him this season.  I am hopeful, however, he can become something after getting through 2020.  The Tigers have him under control through the 2022 season, and he's still young enough that he could be a factor for the next competitive team.  If nothing else, it'd be nice to have him as a steady piece of the rotation when the pitching prospects start trickling up.

The claim at the time was that the UCL injury was 'sudden' and had not been affecting his pitching, but I sure hope 'they' were wrong because he needs to pitch a lot better than he was pitching before the injury. If that was because of the knee, we have to hope the year off did something positive for it I guess.

12 hours ago, Buddha said:

could'a had baez...

That was a rumor pushed by fenech and literally nobody else.

• Like 1

I had a dream last night that involved Dave Dombrowski....

I went to a friends house to pick up something, a front for a fire place (This actually really did happen yesterday except he came to my house).  He lived in a condo in downtown Wyandotte.  While hanging out on his balcony having a beer I saw Rob Manfred leaving a neighboring condo, along with some staff.   A few minutes later Dave Dombrowski came outside of that same condo to talk to a reporter who was camped out.  He was smiling and happy.   My friend said he had to go to the gym in the condo complex and ride the bike and for me to stay there and have some more beer.  Dave came over and said "Tim said you guys had some coffee?"  I let Dave in.  He asked if we had any snacks or candy to munch on... I got him a box of Ritz crackers.  He found the coffee but was disappointed that it was Folgers... in a tin can, the old style.  "Tim said you had good coffee, this stuff is years old....".     

I told Dave that my son was considering transferring to Western Michigan and he started a "Go Broncos" rant. (he went to school there).  Then he started to tell me about some pitcher they looked at from there who was with the Tigers... good player but stupid and lazy.   (I think this comes from a Conan O Brien Podcast I listened to last night with Charles Barkley where he discussed numerous players who had the talent but not the drive to succeed).   As I talked to Dave some more it became evident he was one of those guys who laughs at their own jokes for too long... Dave would double over.   

At some point it became evident that DD was going to become Manfred's #2 guy in the commissioner's office.  I tweeted about it and actually broke the news and all these media guys were sharing my tweet blowing up my notifications.   I was also conflicted because I was staying at Tim's house too long and was in danger of missing one of my workout classes which I had signed up for and would be charged $3 for now showing up.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

On a side not Villar who most wanted us to claim came in at 8, on another side note I didn't realize how mediocre and shallow the current 2nd base pool is in the MLB.

Well, it is now that Kinsler retired. 

15 hours ago, Tim Mitchell said:

I see Jose Iglesias signed for 3 million today. Seems reasonable. Why would we have not signed him? I think Niko might set the MLB record for errors by a shortstop. Wouldn't he have been better as a super sub? Say what you like about Jose, but he can catch the ball.

Goodrum's best position is RF.  The Tigers currently don't have a right fielder at the moment.  Naturally, Gardenhire slots him in at SS.  

14 hours ago, cruzer1 said:

PLAYER NEWS

• Tigers and RHP Michael Fulmer avoided arbitration by agreeing to a one-year, $2.8 million contract.

It's the same amount he made in 2019 when he missed the entire season following Tommy John surgery. Fulmer is expected to get a late start to the 2020 season but could be back at some point before the All-Star break.

Jan 6, 2020, 8:24 PM ET

•  

I missed all of the 2019 season too.  Where's my $2.8 million contract?  

2 hours ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

I expect him to win the pitching triple crown.

I expect him to win more games than Zimmermann.  

42 minutes ago, Oblong said:

.   I was also conflicted because I was staying at Tim's house too long and was in danger of missing one of my workout classes which I had signed up for and would be charged $3 for now showing up.

So your dream self was going to have a few pops and then go workout?

Also, did Dave say "quality"?

2 minutes ago, theroundsquare said:

Also, did Dave say "quality"?

Dave told @Oblong to invest in a quality coffee maker with a timer on it.

I wish the Tigers would sign Joyce or Cargo, because they wouldn't be blocking anyone. Domingo Santana is 27 so he might be worth a look too.

Alex wood could be a good bounce back candidate.

1 hour ago, Oblong said:

I had a dream last night that involved Dave Dombrowski....

my dreams with Dave are way more exciting.  They typically involve a Diet Pepsi are definitely NSFW

47 minutes ago, bobrob2004 said:

I missed all of the 2019 season too.  Where's my $2.8 million contract?  

I love when fans grumble about salary because they don't realize you don't pay players based on past contributions. You pay them based on what you expect them to do under contract. 

7 minutes ago, Yoda said:

I love when fans grumble about salary because they don't realize you don't pay players based on past contributions. You pay them based on what you expect them to do under contract. 

I love when fans don't recognize a joke when they see it.  $2.8 million is peanuts.  If I wanted to complain about someone's salary, my target would be Zimmermann.  

12 minutes ago, bobrob2004 said:

I love when fans don't recognize a joke when they see it.  $2.8 million is peanuts.  If I wanted to complain about someone's salary, my target would be Zimmermann.  

He shouldn't be in the rotation unless the Tigers are trying to tank.

1 hour ago, Casimir said:

Dave told @Oblong to invest in a quality coffee maker with a timer on it.

I told him we're happy with our coffee maker and don't see a need, at this time, to make any changes.  A new coffee maker is not really a fit.

WHich means tonight's dream will involve a new $2000 espresso machine, used, which questionable long term prospects.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Oblong said:

I told him we're happy with our coffee maker and don't see a need, at this time, to make any changes.  A new coffee maker is not really a fit.

WHich means tonight's dream will involve a new $2000 espresso machine, used, which questionable long term prospects.  

Dombrowski will buy you a new coffee maker.  The next morning, 10 supermodels mysteriously show up at your front door. You invite them in for coffee, but the coffee maker you currently have is good for 7 cups before it fails and you need to pull it.  The girls start to squeal with restlessness. A cop carrying a box of donuts stops by to check out  the commotion. You bring in Dombrowki's coffee maker but it blows up before it makes enough good coffee for even 2 cups. The cop starts laughing hysterically and walks off with the 10 supermodels.

42 minutes ago, lordstanley said:

Dombrowski will buy you a new coffee maker.  The next morning, 10 supermodels mysteriously show up at your front door. You invite them in for coffee, but the coffee maker you currently have is good for 7 cups before it fails and you need to pull it.  The girls start to squeal with restlessness. A cop carrying a box of donuts stops by to check out  the commotion. You bring in Dombrowki's coffee maker but it blows up before it makes enough good coffee for even 2 cups. The cop starts laughing hysterically and walks off with the 10 supermodels.

Where are the doughnuts?

4 hours ago, MAROTH4MVP said:

He shouldn't be in the rotation unless the Tigers are trying to tank.

Zimmermann will be cut before the end of spring training.

• Like 1

The Pirates just hired Erie Manager Mike Rabello to be their assistant hitting coach.  Can't believe a coach/manager in our system got hired by a MLB team to be a hitting instructor.

5 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

The Pirates just hired Erie Manager Mike Rabello to be their assistant hitting coach.  Can't believe a coach/manager in our system got hired by a MLB team to be a hitting instructor.

I thought they were grooming him for Detroit

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RatkoVarda said:

I thought they were grooming him for Detroit

Maybe they were but I have to think he’d rather be at the ML level as a coach than a manager in the minors