IdahoBert

2019-2020 OFFSEASON DISCUSSION THREAD

This is still pretty early in the rebuild. I don't see any significant on field improvement in Detroit until 2022, with 2023 being maybe a good year. Manning/Mize et al really arrive in 2021 or later, and then add a year of experience at least. I am concerned about Perez, Rogers and Cameron. All three are most likely cup of coffee major league players at best.

This is a very weak franchise from top to bottom. I am hopng the Cron and Schoop stay healthy.

On 12/21/2019 at 1:42 PM, Tim Mitchell said:

At least it's an A for effort. Maybe 60-70 wins

I’m giddy at the prospect of only losing 90 to 95 games. Seriously, that would be such an improvement over last year.

Buster Olney is releasing his annual position al rankings and today he did 2nd base and Schoop made the "honorable mentions", so far he is the first Tiger to even make that. 

On a side not Villar who most wanted us to claim came in at 8, on another side note I didn't realize how mediocre and shallow the current 2nd base pool is in the MLB.

17 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

I didn't realize how mediocre and shallow the current 2nd base pool is in the MLB.

What good player wants to go to 2B anymore? You have an all time great career and they still won't punch your ticket to Cooperstown. :disappnt:

54 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

What good player wants to go to 2B anymore? You have an all time great career and they still won't punch your ticket to Cooperstown. :disappnt:

I’m just glad Steve Garvey didn’t get in. To me that means there’s a glimmer of hope and rationality in the world. But not for Lou.

26 minutes ago, IdahoBert said:

I’m just glad Steve Garvey didn’t get in. To me that means there’s a glimmer of hope and rationality in the world. But not for Lou.

Steve Garvey is not my Padre.

• Like 2

Update on 97.1 that the Tigers signed Fulmer.  Good pitcher, when healthy.

I see Jose Iglesias signed for 3 million today. Seems reasonable. Why would we have not signed him? I think Niko might set the MLB record for errors by a shortstop. Wouldn't he have been better as a super sub? Say what you like about Jose, but he can catch the ball.

14 minutes ago, Tim Mitchell said:

I see Jose Iglesias signed for 3 million today. Seems reasonable. Why would we have not signed him? I think Niko might set the MLB record for errors by a shortstop. Wouldn't he have been better as a super sub? Say what you like about Jose, but he can catch the ball.

Niko's best position is SS, partly because he came up as a SS.  His worst position is OF.

38 minutes ago, Tim Mitchell said:

Gardenhire don't give a ****.

PLAYER NEWS

• Tigers and RHP Michael Fulmer avoided arbitration by agreeing to a one-year, $2.8 million contract.

It's the same amount he made in 2019 when he missed the entire season following Tommy John surgery. Fulmer is expected to get a late start to the 2020 season but could be back at some point before the All-Star break.

Jan 6, 2020, 8:24 PM ET

•  

I don't expect much going forward with Fulmer but it sure would be nice if he came back strong and turned out to be a pleasant surprise.   

10 minutes ago, Buddha said:

could'a had baez...

meh, They would have ruined him.  

• Like 1

surprised that they did not push for a 20% paycut for Fulmer; Chris could have used the extra $560K

2 hours ago, cruzer1 said:

Niko's best position is SS, partly because he came up as a SS.  His worst position is OF.

If that were true, then why sign Mercer last year when they already had Nico?

2 minutes ago, RatkoVarda said:

surprised that they did not push for a 20% paycut for Fulmer; Chris could have used the extra $560K

Me too. Dude's toast.

Still need another starting pitcher and an outfielder. 

I have no idea what the plan is with the bullpen, but I’m OK with going with a hodgepodge there.

9 hours ago, HeyAbbott said:

This is still pretty early in the rebuild.

giphy.gif?cid=790b76114d42c87b6bd2f018a9

31 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

Anyone know who Mark Aumann is?

Top google result says he's a congressional staffer. Can he hit?

3 minutes ago, chasfh said:

giphy.gif?cid=790b76114d42c87b6bd2f018a9

Silver lining?  All of the upcoming high Rule 5 picks and the obligatory  spectacular soirée’s

1 hour ago, Chili Mac Davis said:

If that were true, then why sign Mercer last year when they already had Nico?

Niko didn't play short very well in 2018. I guess in '19 he must have showed them enough in terms of improving his throwing mechanics that they are more willing to play him at short. Plus W. Castro is a more of hedge against Niko not performing at short than they had going into last year.

7 hours ago, MAROTH4MVP said:

Still need another starting pitcher and an outfielder. 

I have no idea what the plan is with the bullpen, but I’m OK with going with a hodgepodge there.

Bunch of guys almost ready to come up to the bigs.