IdahoBert

2019-2020 OFFSEASON DISCUSSION THREAD

4 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

Are there 26 players capable of playing Major League baseball on their roster?

26???? I'm wondering if there are 9........Ok, 10 counting the DH.

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

Are there 26 players capable of playing Major League baseball on their roster?

no

14 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

no

you can have probably start having ~500 seasons when you get to say ... 13 decent players?..... 3 starters, 3 relievers,  7 position players.

Anybody know the status of Brandon Dixon?  He was DFA'd 12 days ago, and I thought 10 days was the window in which to either release, lose on waivers, trade or outright.

Asking for a friend.

34 minutes ago, leflore said:

I doubt there are 13

I'd count Schoop, Cron, Romine, Niko, Boyd, Norris, Jimenez, Turnbull (but maybe in BP), plus maybe Cabrera depending on what he looks like when he shows up for camp - so that is still 4 short of that marker. Plenty of guys that have some chance to be decent this season but that I wouldn't count yet: W. Castro, Mize, Manning, Rogers, Jones, Reyes, Strewart, H Castro, Candelario etc. I'm not hopeless, just not very hopeful.

40 minutes ago, gzbach said:

Anybody know the status of Brandon Dixon?  He was DFA'd 12 days ago, and I thought 10 days was the window in which to either release, lose on waivers, trade or outright.

Asking for a friend.

tell your friend to get a life.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

yup -he is at 350 IP college plus pro. He is around a point were it is not too late for better command to come but it is about time to start seeing it.

yer nuts.  very small sample size--42 innings at Erie, where his BB9 was 3.8 (and 2.1 at Lakeland). You might have missed that his K9 at Erie was 17.4! Or, 13.1 for the season.

I'll take my chance with him, every time.

5 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

John Sickels of The Athletic came out with his top 100 and it featured 5 Tigers, 4 of which were in the top 50 including Mize at number 5. 

I don't remember all the exact numbers but I think Manning was in the teens, Skubal and Greene in the 40s and in a bit of a surprise Paredes at like 65. 

greene is pure speculation based on draft position.

19 minutes ago, Buddha said:

They are all speculation, based on talent. Anyone who relies too heavily on stats in evaluating developing talent is naive.

50 minutes ago, Buddha said:

he did have a nice start to his career for a high school kid.

1 hour ago, Tenacious D said:

yer nuts.  very small sample size--42 innings at Erie, where his BB9 was 3.8 (and 2.1 at Lakeland). You might have missed that his K9 at Erie was 17.4! Or, 13.1 for the season.

I'll take my chance with him, every time.

his walk rates look like they were worst just before an after his surgery, which is 'normal'.  His 2019 numbers are skewed a little by a bad start on Aug 25 when he walked 6 in 4.2 IP. Other than that he only walked 3 in 2 other starts, though he did walk 6 in his last 13 IP -- he may been a little gassed at 120 IP for the season.

All these guys have been impressive as **** at AA, still doesn't mean any of them have more than an even money chance at MLB. But if even 50% of them do make it, the Tigers should be in pretty good shape - at least pitching wise.

1 hour ago, Buddha said:

25 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

he did have a nice start to his career for a high school kid.

They pushed him pretty hard by sending him to WM and he sort of hit the wall there - though he was picking it up a little right at the end, going 10 for his last 36.

3 hours ago, gzbach said:

Asking for a friend.

42 days until the next tiger #1 pick appears in 2020. Vandy(Martin), ASU(Torkelson), Georgia(Hancock) all open their seasons 2/14

5 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

42 days until the next tiger #1 pick appears in 2020. Vandy(Martin), ASU(Torkelson), Georgia(Hancock) all open their seasons 2/14

Is this what we’ve been reduced to?  

3 minutes ago, IdahoBert said:

55250963-9AFA-44BD-BEF1-DD5CD948E8FA.thumb.png.74d795f6a5d8698de25e9d9ea22f19df.png

Bert—can you apply your most excellent photoshopping skillz and super-impose Torkelson, Martin and Hancock’s heads on these guys?  That should be the promotion the Tigers do at each home game until the draft.  Enough with all of the silly analytical talk—let’s determine the #1 pick, fair and square.

740ACA59-2BBE-467C-AF81-40A11EC0050A.jpeg

How many days until the first Detroit Tigers exhibition game?

GettyImages-1170223600.jpg?w=261

23 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

Bert—can you apply your most excellent photoshopping skillz and super-impose Torkelson, Martin and Hancock’s heads on these guys?  That should be the promotion the Tigers do at each home game until the draft.  Enough with all of the silly analytical talk—let’s determine the #1 pick, fair and square.

I’m pretty busy walking on water and working at a leper colony today but by sometime this evening I’ll have a chance to do it. ?

30 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

Randall Simon will take them out.

1mswus.gif

20 minutes ago, IdahoBert said:

I’m pretty busy walking on water and working at a leper colony today but by sometime this evening I’ll have a chance to do it. ?

Keeping up on your new year resolutions, eh?

Looks like the Angels signed C Jason Castro to $6.5M for one season.

Just now, Casimir said:

Looks like the Angels signed C Jason Castro to $6.5M for one season.

MLB Radio on Sirius tried to convince listeners yesterday that the Tigers were still in on him. They must have missed the story that we already made our catcher move.

5 minutes ago, chasfh said:

MLB Radio on Sirius tried to convince listeners yesterday that the Tigers were still in on him. They must have missed the story that we already made our catcher move.

I'm drawing a blank.  What was the catcher move?

Edit:  Oh, how I could forget about Austin Romine?