IdahoBert

2019-2020 OFFSEASON DISCUSSION THREAD

1 hour ago, Casimir said:

Two Cs.  2

Cabrera at DH.  3

Cron 1B, Schoop 2B, one of Candelario/Lugo at 3B, Goodrum SS.  Someone that can back up SS (CastroH?).  8

Stewart LF, Jones CF, Reyes RF.  A backup somewheres in the there or a FA signing which might mean the same 3 names but slightly different usage.  12

Assuming they go with 13 position players and it looks somewhat like the above, there's room for one of the loser of the 3B battle to go north.  Maybe I am missing someone in the pile of stuff above?

Oh, look at that, the snow is starting to accumulate.  More baseball talk, please.

They have to go with at least 13 position players because there will be 26-man rosters with a max of 13 pitchers.  

Not sure the strategy, but FS1 is replaying some games from last season.  I’d stay clear of that channel.

• Haha 1

I might watch the first 10-12 games. Matt Moore sure looked good. Then.....suck

1 hour ago, Tenacious D said:

Not sure the strategy, but FS1 is replaying some games from last season.  I’d stay clear of that channel.

Should I watch that or the PBS special on the history of fire hydrants?  

• Haha 1

A Christmas Carol is on the Spanish channel this eve.

Or the history channel has a documentary on asparagas pee and corn in our poops.

On 12/31/2019 at 9:48 AM, tiger337 said:

They have to go with at least 13 position players because there will be 26-man rosters with a max of 13 pitchers.  

Are we sure this front office is aware of that?

Actually with the aaaa conversion rate I believe Detroit gets a roster of 36

5 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

Well, if they're selective they can sort of make it look like the Tigers were 47-0.

On 12/30/2019 at 11:15 AM, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

The whole episode where they pranked Gelnar(?) with the false paternity letter had me rolling.

Fred Talbot, yes that was brilliant.

Don Larsen died, at the age of 90.  What an improbable day he had in the World Series in 1956.  Based on his body of work he was about as likely to throw a perfect game as Armando Galarraga.  In the article that I just read about him, he was out drinking with Mickey and Whitey the night before, because he didn't think that he was going to play.

How many days until the first Detroit Tigers exhibition game?

I7WKKJ4OEFG27PBO2WOJCHKQCI.jpg

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I7WKKJ4OEFG27PBO2WOJCHKQCI.jpg

That's much better. Took me 10 minutes to figure out Berry from only his number.   :silly:

John Sickels of The Athletic came out with his top 100 and it featured 5 Tigers, 4 of which were in the top 50 including Mize at number 5. 

I don't remember all the exact numbers but I think Manning was in the teens, Skubal and Greene in the 40s and in a bit of a surprise Paredes at like 65. 

I'd feel a little better about Tarik if he weren't walking four guys per nine in his first foray into upper minors, but maybe he improves that this year.

He has so much movement...its throwing the umps off.  Computerized umps will fix that...?

46 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Feb 11 - Pitcher report - 40 days (approximate)

Feb 17 - Position players report - 46 days (approximate)

Feb 21 - College exhibition - 50 days

Feb 22 - first real exhibition - 51 days

Mar 26 - Opening day - 84 days

Mar 30 - Home opener - 88 days

9 minutes ago, Lei Pong said:

He has so much movement...its throwing the umps off.  Computerized umps will fix that...?

BTW - I will predict that computerized balls and strikes will bring about a big renaissance in curve ball pitching. You just give up counting the number of perfect 12-6 curves a guy like Verander throws that the umps miss on depth judgment.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I'd feel a little batter about Tarik if he wasn't walking four guys per nine in his first foray into upper minors, but maybe he improves that this year.

yup -he is at 350 IP college plus pro. He is around a point were it is not too late for better command to come but it is about time to start seeing it.

Just thinking in an optimist point of view, assuming Skubal and Greene continue to trend upwards and that we don't call anybody up this year by the end of the season we could perhaps have 5 top 30ish prospects. (the current top 4 and whomever we pick first overall) That would be pretty impressive.  

6 hours ago, davidsb said:

Feb 11 - Pitcher report - 40 days (approximate)

Feb 17 - Position players report - 46 days (approximate)

Feb 21 - College exhibition - 50 days

Feb 22 - first real exhibition - 51 days

Mar 26 - Opening day - 84 days

Mar 30 - Home opener - 88 days

Speaking only for myself, I consider the first time the Tigers take the field versus another team to be the first exhibition game.

18 hours ago, Casimir said:

Are we sure this front office is aware of that?

Are there 26 players capable of playing Major League baseball on their roster?

1 hour ago, RandyMarsh said:

Just thinking in an optimist point of view, assuming Skubal and Greene continue to trend upwards and that we don't call anybody up this year by the end of the season we could perhaps have 5 top 30ish prospects. (the current top 4 and whomever we pick first overall) That would be pretty impressive.  

Tear it down to build it up. Repeat and repeat until we get the right players.