IdahoBert

2019-2020 OFFSEASON DISCUSSION THREAD

23 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

The whole episode where they pranked Gelnar(?) with the false paternity letter had me rolling.

Fred Talbot, yes that was brilliant.

So, was that it? No more activity on the FA front? I wasn’t expecting even that but the tease made me hope for more. 

7 minutes ago, IdahoBert said:

So, was that it? No more activity on the FA front? I wasn’t expecting even that but the tease made me hope for more. 

As long as this thread lives, so does hope.

The Free Press is looking for a new tigers beat writer. I assume this means Fenech is out, but who knows. 

51 minutes ago, IdahoBert said:

Yeah, a little movement on the OF front might be nice. Assuming W Castro and Goodrum are competing at SS, that also still seems to leave 3b wide open - I have a hard time taking Lugo as a serious candidate for an MLB career, but who knows.....and Paredes getting a call-up this yr is would be too optimistic.

21 minutes ago, Shelton said:

The Free Press is looking for a new tigers beat writer. I assume this means Fenech is out, but who knows. 

Interesting since Fenech posted a story as recently as yesterday. Maybe he is staying but wants off the beat job. Then again, I couldn't help but notice criteria 4 & 7 in the qual list(!):

- Effective communicator; able to get along with diverse personalities.

- Works collaboratively within a cross-functional environment.

xDxDxD

I suspect they're going to give Candelario one more shot at 3B, and if that fails, they may just go with Lugo to bridge the gap to Paredes.

Another OF would be nice.  I know Puig gets a lot of comments around here.  I suppose he might be the best available option at this point, but I suspect he's going to be a late signing.

6 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Yeah, a little movement on the OF front might be nice. Assuming W Castro and Goodrum are competing at SS, that also still seems to leave 3b wide open - I have a hard time taking Lugo as a serious candidate for an MLB career, but who knows.....and Paredes getting a call-up this yr is would be too optimistic.

You forgot Candelario, who deserves one more season and should be ahead of Lugo in the pecking order.

7 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

You forgot Candelario, who deserves one more season and should be ahead of Lugo in the pecking order.

I'm pretty down on Candelario. If there is a hitter in the system than appears to be uncoachable, it's him. But you are right - he will get some PA there.

1 hour ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Interesting since Fenech posted a story as recently as yesterday. Maybe he is staying but wants off the beat job. Then again, I couldn't help but notice criteria 4 & 7 in the qual list(!):

- Effective communicator; able to get along with diverse personalities.

- Works collaboratively within a cross-functional environment.

xDxDxD

So, they're looking for a "yes man"?

• Like 1

Niko basically has SS locked up. I would think that means jeimer and Lugo and willi will all be competing for the 3B job. Not sure what the options status is for jeimer and Lugo. I think jeimer has to be out of options at this point, so it would seem like 3B is his to lose.

I knew Fenech was done covering the Tigers when he blasted them a while back.  

I believe their basketball beat writer took a buyout or whatever so maybe he slides to that. 

23 minutes ago, Shelton said:

Niko basically has SS locked up. I would think that means jeimer and Lugo and willi will all be competing for the 3B job. Not sure what the options status is for jeimer and Lugo. I think jeimer has to be out of options at this point, so it would seem like 3B is his to lose.

They talked up Lugo's glove but his defensive numbers at 3rd were not good - granted the sample size is still way too small. Jeimer just has to get off the dead pull approach - it's death for a left hand hitter in the age of shifting unless he can put 40 in the stands and Jeimer can't.                                                                        

42 minutes ago, Shelton said:

Lugo was 1st called up in 2018, so being sent down last season may only have been his 1st option. Jeimer was sent down in '18 and '19 after making MLB in 2017. Without digging further I'll guess he either has one or none left.

23 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

They talked up Lugo's glove but his defensive numbers at 3rd were not good - granted the sample size is still way too small. Jeimer just has to get off the dead pull approach - it's death for a left hand hitter in the age of shifting unless he can put 40 in the stands and Jeimer can't.                                                                        

It doesn’t really matter. None of these guys are good. Maybe they get lucky, and one of them figures something out, so it makes sense to do what they can to maximize ABs, regardless of whether that is at MLB or AAA. It’s not that difficult to compare relative performance at each level and figure out who you want to move forward with down the line. 

Can't Harold play third? A few more walks and he'd be a nice hitter maybe? And he bats left which we need. (Yeah, I know Candy is a switch hitter.) Our lefties in the lineup consist of maybe third, SS, RF and maybe LF.  Thus, I think Lugo really needs to slug to make the lineup.

6 minutes ago, Shelton said:

It doesn’t really matter. None of these guys are good. Maybe they get lucky, and one of them figures something out, so it makes sense to do what they can to maximize ABs, regardless of whether that is at MLB or AAA. It’s not that difficult to compare relative performance at each level and figure out who you want to move forward with down the line. 

I'm afraid that is exactly it. Barring another move I'm actually thinking it's either W Castro or Goodrum that will end up at 3rd with the other at short - unless Paredes really explodes and makes the team this season.

It's getting harder to imagine that Jeimer was once on the MLB Top 100 list. FWTW.

43 minutes ago, RatkoVarda said:

Neither Lugo or Candy have options, so they will both get April/May to show something.

I don't question that almost anyone else follows this closer than I do, but I'm missing how Lugo's option have been burned. Did Arizona have him on their 40 before we got him?

1 hour ago, Gehringer_2 said:

This is very accurate. Lugo might be salvageable as a MLB quality infielder. Jeimer at this point is "just a guy". The moment the Tigers have someone vaguely serviceable step forward. He is probably gone.

On the other hand, if the Tigers continue with their Pitcher fetish in drafting players, they have no choice but to salvage Jeimer.

Candy is the better fielder, can draw a walk and has some power.  A much better option than Lugo.

Agree that both are keeping the base warm for Paredes, and, hopefully, Quintana.

Two Cs.  2

Cabrera at DH.  3

Cron 1B, Schoop 2B, one of Candelario/Lugo at 3B, Goodrum SS.  Someone that can back up SS (CastroH?).  8

Stewart LF, Jones CF, Reyes RF.  A backup somewheres in the there or a FA signing which might mean the same 3 names but slightly different usage.  12

Assuming they go with 13 position players and it looks somewhat like the above, there's room for one of the loser of the 3B battle to go north.  Maybe I am missing someone in the pile of stuff above?

Oh, look at that, the snow is starting to accumulate.  More baseball talk, please.

1 hour ago, Casimir said:

Two Cs.  2

Cabrera at DH.  3

Cron 1B, Schoop 2B, one of Candelario/Lugo at 3B, Goodrum SS.  Someone that can back up SS (CastroH?).  8

Stewart LF, Jones CF, Reyes RF.  A backup somewheres in the there or a FA signing which might mean the same 3 names but slightly different usage.  12

Assuming they go with 13 position players and it looks somewhat like the above, there's room for one of the loser of the 3B battle to go north.  Maybe I am missing someone in the pile of stuff above?

Oh, look at that, the snow is starting to accumulate.  More baseball talk, please.

They have to go with at least 13 position players because there will be 26-man rosters with a max of 13 pitchers.