IdahoBert

2019-2020 OFFSEASON DISCUSSION THREAD

On 12/24/2019 at 3:37 PM, IdahoBert said:

But, what if..., what if..., what if..., what if..., what if..., what if..., what if..., what if..., what if..., what if..., what if..., what if..., what if..., what if..., what if..., what if..., what if..., what if..., what if..., what if..., what if..., what if..., what if..., what if..., what if..., what if..., what if..., what if..., what if..., what if..., what if..., what if....... etc. And furthermore.....

Is that more "what if"s than 2019 Tiger victories?

2019 Won-Loss records for Detroit's 4 major teams:

• Detroit Tigers 47-114
  • Detroit Lions 3-11 (thus far)
  • Detroit Red Wings 9-26 (thus far)
  • Detroit Pistons 11-20 (thus far)

Combined 70 - 171 .. for a .290 winning percentage.

City of Chimpeons.

• Sad 1

26 minutes ago, Tigrrfan said:

• Detroit Tigers 47-114

City of Chimpeons.

The Astros won more games than our 4 teams combined are projected.

23 hours ago, tiger337 said:

Is that the new book on the 2019 Tigers?  

If only they were that cool.

7 hours ago, Tigrrfan said:

• Detroit Tigers 47-114

City of Chimpeons.

A far cry from the era of the 2004 Pistons, 2006 Tigers and 2008 Red Wings.

8 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

The Astros won more games than our 4 teams combined are projected.

Apparently, according to things I’ve read, there is existing evidence that Houston cheated. If so, let’s see if MLB has the balls to act on this beyond empty rhetoric. 

I'll be shocked if there aren't harsh penalties handed out to the Astros. I heard one penalty being contemplated is making each Astro miss a game and be required to watch a Tigers game that day.

The horror.........the horror......

We had a long run of having at least one team capable of winning a title 

1983-87  Tigers

1989 Michigan basketball

1987 - 1991  Pistons

1991 - Lions go to NFC Championship

1993 - 2009  Red Wings

1997 Michigan Football

1997  Michigan Football

2000 Michigan State Basketball

2003 - 2007  Pistons

2006  Tigers

2011 - 2014 Tigers

2013 - Michigan Basketball (lost to Redacted)

2018 - Michigan Basketball

We now pay the price. .

9 hours ago, leflore said:

I'll be shocked if there aren't harsh penalties handed out to the Astros. I heard one penalty being contemplated is making each Astro miss a game and be required to watch a Tigers game that day.

The horror.........the horror......

What if we find out that the Astros buried medical information on Franklin Perez?    I am starting to really believe they knew very well he was damaged goods when they traded him, which would not only be damning for them, but for the Tigers people for not doing their research.    I don't think he'll ever pitch in the majors and I am wondering if we'll ever see him pitch again at all.  

11 hours ago, chasfh said:

A far cry from the era of the 2004 Pistons, 2006 Tigers and 2008 Red Wings.

You didn't mention the Lions.

48 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

1983-87  Tigers

1989 Michigan basketball

1987 - 1991  Pistons

1993 - 2009  Red Wings

1997 Michigan Football

1997  Michigan Football

2003 - 2007  Pistons

2006  Tigers

2011 - 2014 Tigers

We now pay the price. .

Now we pay the price?

It's sports, not a Faustian bargain.

maybe I am missing but I would say it started in 2018.  

The Wings kind of took care of a 20 year period on their own though.  I’d say from like 93 to 2012 you wouldn’t be laughed at for thinking they could make a long run in the playoffs.  Before that you had the Pistons and before that the Tigers. The Tigers took the baton after the Wings run.  

17 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Now we pay the price?

It's sports, not a Faustian bargain.

No, you can't be happy forever.  You must pay for your happiness.  You must suffer.  Now we suffer..............probably for a very long time.  

1 hour ago, Motor City Sonics said:

What if we find out that the Astros buried medical information on Franklin Perez?    I am starting to really believe they knew very well he was damaged goods when they traded him, which would not only be damning for them, but for the Tigers people for not doing their research.    I don't think he'll ever pitch in the majors and I am wondering if we'll ever see him pitch again at all.  

The issues he has dealt with, reportedly, has all been related to inflammation, to different areas. This is not predictable, or generally chronic. They have not found any structural damage. Inflammation is certainly not uncommon with pitchers, but the degree with him would indicate some structural weakness that is probably being addressed.

It would not shock me at all if the Astros, as part of their organizational philosophy of trying to gain every edge, actively choose not to document injuries for players that fail to be placed on the disabled list. That’s especially easy to do in the minor leagues when it doesn’t really matter to get the roster spot. For Perez, it’s certainly possible that the only records they kept were for yearly physicals, and they traded him knowing that he was becoming damaged goods. 

34 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

No, you can't be happy forever.  You must pay for your happiness.  You must suffer.  Now we suffer..............probably for a very long time.  

My former boss would likely term this train of thought meaningless quasi-philosophic ramblings.

2 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Which has nothing to do with being good a long time.

Wait, the team owners have nothing to do with the teams being good?    

Um, the Pistons havent been relevant since Bill Davidson died (they've been in disarray)

The Tigers stopped spending ANY money after Mike Illitch died.

I think it has something to do with it.    The Wings are in a hangover after a 20 year party.     

No, my point was if the issue truly is good owners dying (I tend to doubt that is the proximate cause, but supposing it were), then their passing is the reason they suck now, not because we enjoyed a prolonged stretch of success.

Also Davidson died over 10 years ago.  But the Pistons sucking the past 10 years only matters now because the Wings and Tigers are also concurrently terrible.  UM and MSU do not even have an owner.  UM football is clearly a top 20 program, as are UM and MSU basketball, but apparently they need to win, or make, a championship game for them not to be lumped in with historically bad Tiger and Red Wing teams, or the moribund Pistons and Lions franchises.

You are grouping a bunch of disparate things with varying degrees of success (or perhaps more accurately failure) based solely on a geographical area and suggesting their results are the natural result of us having it too good, too long.

It's a radio show hot take to get callers talking.  No sale.

Yes...we will be forced to wear the King's soiled undergarments as a hat until we are finally...mercifully...allowed to wash them.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

1983-87  Tigers

1989 Michigan basketball

1987 - 1991  Pistons

1993 - 2009  Red Wings

1997 Michigan Football

1997  Michigan Football

2003 - 2007  Pistons

2006  Tigers

2011 - 2014 Tigers

We now pay the price. .

Methinks you must be a Wolverine fan. MSU has been to the Final 4 in college hoops many times over that period. You actually have UM hoops listed 3 times, MSU once

• Thanks 1