IdahoBert

2019-2020 OFFSEASON DISCUSSION THREAD

Speaking of Jonathan Schoop, looks like this might be his second straight year of “betting on himself.”  He reportedly turned down at least one multiyear contract this past season in an effort to outdo his pretty good 2018 and secure life changing money this offseason. That didn’t work out this time, so perhaps by signing with the Tigers, where he has the dual advantage of being guaranteed a starting slot plus the possibility of becoming the tallest ****** in our circus, he believes he can accomplish that here. 

1 hour ago, HeyAbbott said:

The Tigers add 2 major league players to their active 26 man roster. Figuring Boyd, Turnbull, Miggy, Reyes, Miggy, and Goodrum, that only leaves them 18 players shy of being an authentic major league team.

I would not have counted Miggy twice.  Might have counted him only one-half.

6 minutes ago, Tigrrfan said:

That's only because he hasn't lost any weight yet.  

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

If you believe that the Tigers are on a budget, Villar is as expensive by himself as Schoop and Cron combined. The Jonathans combo at $16-17 million, combined with Who’s On First, was probably not on the table at all. Schoop and Villar are close to being the same player. 

But it's worth the risk, because if he (or the others) have a decent season - you probably get a prospect at the deadline and that's what it's truly all about.   I don't expect Schoop or Cron to be Tigers after July 31st.   

3 hours ago, bobrob2004 said:

That's only because he hasn't lost any weight yet.  

If he has not gained any weight .. would it be subtraction by Noaddition?

5 hours ago, HeyAbbott said:

The Tigers add 2 major league players to their active 26 man roster. Figuring Boyd, Turnbull, Miggy, Reyes, Miggy, and Goodrum, that only leaves them 18 players shy of being an authentic major league team.

Let's just replace one of the Miggy's with Jacoby Jones ..and call it an improvement.

I haven't been paying much attention but haven’t seen any articles about Miguel Cabrera being once again in the “best shape of his life.“  Hopefully he won’t look heavier than at season’s end when he attends Tiger Fest.  Maybe he can ask Pudge Rodriguez about the “eating disorder“ he suffered when he came to spring training much thinner and less muscular looking than ever before. 

8 minutes ago, leflore said:

Eating disorder? Is that code for stopping PEDs?

YES

2 minutes ago, Lei Pong said:

So far as Miggy goes, PED stands for Perpetually Eating Desserts

YES

7 hours ago, Tigrrfan said:

Hmmm.  I guess I'd better say we are 19 short, unless we think there is one MLB quality reliever on this team.

Ryu signs with Toronto, 4 years/$80.

Most of the big free agents are off the board before Christmas—very different offseason compared to the last three.

1 hour ago, Tenacious D said:

Most of the big free agents are off the board before Christmas—very different offseason compared to the last three.

Does that mean it will be nearly impossible for the players to prove collusion?

17 hours ago, chasfh said:

Speaking of Jonathan Schoop, looks like this might be his second straight year of “betting on himself.”  He reportedly turned down at least one multiyear contract this past season in an effort to outdo his pretty good 2018 and secure life changing money this offseason. That didn’t work out this time, so perhaps by signing with the Tigers, where he has the dual advantage of being guaranteed a starting slot plus the possibility of becoming the tallest ****** in our circus, he believes he can accomplish that here. 

schoop has made over $20 million in his career.  i'd say that's life changing money.

Apparently Henning and his editors both think that the public was craving a feature on Randy Smith :(

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Buddha said:

schoop has made over $20 million in his career.  i'd say that's life changing money.

To you and me, for sure.

Just now, chasfh said:

To you and me, for sure.

to everyone.  people dont realize how much money that is anymore.

Just now, Buddha said:

to everyone.  people dont realize how much money that is anymore.

Yeah, you're right. I hear ya.

You know what I meant.

Just now, chasfh said:

Yeah, you're right. I hear ya.

You know what I meant.

yeah, but this is a message board, so i needed to be a jerk and point out where you were wrong...lol.  :)

1 minute ago, Buddha said:

yeah, but this is a message board, so i needed to be a jerk and point out where you were wrong...lol.  :)

Thank you for your service. :P

• Like 1