IdahoBert

2019-2020 OFFSEASON DISCUSSION THREAD

16 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

That's a better line-up than last year, but not a lot of getting on base.  

LOL. Yup, it's easy a lot easier for Al to say he wants an org were people walk more than to come up with people who walk more.

2 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Stewart will be 27 this season. The odds of him turning into anything he isn't are dropping like a rock. I'd give him April and May at the very most.

He has the ability to carry value because he's going to be in second year of team control.

These moves are probably on par with the sense of awakening experienced when the hottest cheerleader in school actually knows your first name and uses it in a class discussion, and while it’s almost certain to lead nowhere it’s still nice.

I wonder if ownership has taken the pulse of fan enthusiasm and realized they’ve got to pony up and at least go through the motions of attempting to field a real team instead of waiting for it to magically congeal on its own “in the future.“

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, IdahoBert said:

These moves are probably on par with the sense of awakening experienced when the hottest cheerleader in school actually knows your first name and uses it in a class discussion, and while it’s almost certain to lead nowhere it’s still nice.

I wonder if ownership has taken the pulse of fan enthusiasm and realized they’ve got to pony up and at least go through the motions of attempting to field a real team instead of waiting for it to magically congeal on its own “in the future.“

She called me a creep, but at least she knows my name.  It's a start.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, tiger337 said:

Schoop can field too.  I assumed Cron was a 1B/DH type but he got a lot of votes in the Fielding Bible Awards finishing in the top 10.  

Schoop did have a bit of an off year in the field this year, at least as far as FG is concerned, but B-R seems OK with him, so he could potentially be a plus glove for the Tigers. I withdraw my comment about him.

Do you really think Cron is a plus glove?

2 hours ago, Keepleyland2 said:

They were both like 1.5 last year. I'm keeping expectation low so if they can put up a one that will make them the best two regulars 

Dear god, so this is what it’s come to ...

6 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Schoop did have a bit of an off year in the field this year, at least as far as FG is concerned, but B-R seems OK with him, so he could potentially be a plus glove for the Tigers. I withdraw my comment about him.

Do you really think Cron is a plus glove?

I don't know.  My impression (based on nothing real) was that he was't.  However, seven of the twelve people on the Fielding Bible panel (which includes some good baseball minds) ranked him in the top 10 and he finished sixth on the new DRS statistic.    There may be a correlation between the two though.  

1 hour ago, Tim Mitchell said:

Get me Lux for Boyd now Al

I’ll have what he’s smoking.

3 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

I don't know.  My impression (based on nothing real) was that he was't.  However, seven of the twelve people on the Fielding Bible panel (which includes some good baseball minds) ranked him in the top 10 and he finished sixth on the new DRS statistic.    There may be a correlation between the two though.  

Either way, he’s almost certainly an upgrade from every other reasonable option we had before him, at least until Jeimer gets moved there in 21 or 22.

1 hour ago, cruzer1 said:

I've got this lineup:

1. Reyes RF

2. Schoop 2b

3. Cron 1b

4. Miggy DH

5. Stewart LF

6. Goodrum SS

7. Lugo 3b

8. Romine C

9. Jones CF

If Reyes and Lugo start over Demerite and Candy, then there is no hope for the Tigers under this administration. 

1 hour ago, cruzer1 said:

He has the ability to carry value because he's going to be in second year of team control.

TBF, I thought he had more MLB PA so far, he is still under 500 so maybe a little more slack (June :wink:).  Still you have to have value to carry value and so far he hasn't had any.

If the Tigers ever contend again I doubt any position players on this squad will be starting. Maybe Niko. A few could be on the bench.

I don't mind being patient. I just cannot watch the same baseball that I watched last season. And I still think it's a bad idea to build the position players all after the gifted arms start their FA clocks. I'd also factor in that there is a chance the player's association will fight for decreasing the 6 yr clock. I'm all for that actually. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, cruzer1 said:

I've got this lineup:

1. Reyes RF

2. Schoop 2b

3. Cron 1b

4. Miggy DH

5. Stewart LF

6. Goodrum SS

7. Lugo 3b

8. Romine C

9. Jones CF

Unsure of the exact batting order, but that is close to what they'll do from a position standpoint. Candelario, though, is starting at 3B over Lugo. 

3 hours ago, tiger337 said:

That's a better line-up than last year, but not a lot of getting on base.  

No one clogging up the bases is a good thing, right?  

24 minutes ago, bobrob2004 said:

No one clogging up the bases is a good thing, right?  

Fewer double plays.

2 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

If Reyes and Lugo start over Demerite and Candy, then there is no hope for the Tigers under this administration. 

Demeritte has a huge hole in his bat.

6 minutes ago, Longgone said:

Demeritte has a huge hole in his bat.

His rookie year was more impressive than Reyes’. And he’ll take a walk.  

1 hour ago, leflore said:

ChiSox just signed Dallas K

Between some good signings and farm pieces finally maturing, those guys are really close. They've suddenly put themselves in the playoff conversation for this season. Should be interesting.

I remember 2001 when the red wings went out and signed massive free agents and it was like christmas morning in July. 

I don't know precisely how their seasons will shake out, but I can absolutely verify that the signings of Schoop and Cron feel nothing like that. 

1 hour ago, stanpapi said:

I remember 2001 when the red wings went out and signed massive free agents and it was like christmas morning in July. 

I don't know precisely how their seasons will shake out, but I can absolutely verify that the signings of Schoop and Cron feel nothing like that. 

Did you think that anyone would compare these two guys to Brett Hull and Luc Robitaille?  Did you forget that in the previous season the Red Wings finished with 111 points and were one of the elite teams in the league?  What did you think was the similarity between the Tigers' current situation, and the Red Wings' situation in 2001?  They couldn't be more different.

These 2 guys aren't superstar free agents, and nobody said that they were.  They are just guys who are good enough to play in the major leagues, and I'm pleasantly surprised that Schoop would agree to play here, I think that he could have done better.  Counting Goodrum, that gives us 3 players now who are good enough to be in the league.  That's 3 times as many as last year.  That's the point to be emphasized.   

18 hours ago, tiger337 said:

FWIW, here’s someone buying high on Cron’s defense. 

This is a decent step towards addressing the moral imperative of not charging MLB prices to watch an MiLB team.

• Thanks 1