IdahoBert

2019-2020 OFFSEASON DISCUSSION THREAD

11 hours ago, Buddha said:

a supplemental pick is better than what we got.

Perhaps but history says otherwise.  Very few supplemental picks even amount to what Lugo has done and again if we kept him we would have ended up with a worst pick.  People can't ***** about the Lions winning meaningless games and the Pistons going for the 8th seed and at the same time complain about the Tigers for not holding onto a player to win some more meaningless games and hurt their draft position. 

15 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Perhaps but history says otherwise.  Very few supplemental picks even amount to what Lugo has done and again if we kept him we would have ended up with a worst pick.  People can't ***** about the Lions winning meaningless games and the Pistons going for the 8th seed and at the same time complain about the Tigers for not holding onto a player to win some more meaningless games and hurt their draft position. 

I don't know.  I think the NFL and NBA are different animals than MLB.  And I don't know much about the Lions, but I would accuse the Lions or Tigers of being owned by a drunken frat boy like the Pistons are.

41 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

I don't know anyone on the Pistons.  The only player on the Lions I know is some guy named Stafford that people talk about on Twitter constantly.  I also know Patricia.  I only complain about the Tigers.  I am totally committed to complaining about the Tigers.  I hope they win some meaningless games next year.  

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Casimir said:

I don't know.  I think the NFL and NBA are different animals than MLB.  And I don't know much about the Lions, but I would accuse the Lions or Tigers of being owned by a drunken frat boy like the Pistons are.

Having premium picks in the MLB mean more than people think.  For reference out of the top 10 highest contracts in baseball history, 7 of them were picked in the top 2 overall.    Right now Mize is considered a top 10 prospect according to most places, the guys that we would've got if we won 2 more games are ranked around 50.   That's a big difference.   

4 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Having premium picks in the MLB mean more than people think.  For reference out of the top 10 highest contracts in baseball history, 7 of them were picked in the top 2 overall.    Right now Mize is considered a top 10 prospect according to most places, the guys that we would've got if we won 2 more games are ranked around 50.   That's a big difference.   

Except the two guys around 50 in another organization will go on to having hall of very good careers whilst the Tigers will allow Mize to throw his arm off before 25.

Just now, Casimir said:

Except the two guys around 50 in another organization will go on to having hall of very good careers whilst the Tigers will allow Mize to throw his arm off before 25.

touche, I blame Ausmus. 

1 hour ago, RandyMarsh said:

You overestimate Gardenhire's ability at winning games.  

I will never warm up to the idea of rooting for my favorite team to lose.  That's not what sports is about to me.  I realize that even good organizations are going to fail some years and when the Tigers are bad I hope they make the most of their high draft pick the following year.  However, I will never root for a losing season.   

16 hours ago, Buddha said:

just like jd martinez, the tigers sold very low and then held up their hands and said "welp, there's nothing we could do!"

sure there was.  dont trade them for junk.

16 hours ago, tiger337 said:

Correct on both Verlander and Martinez.  

They made the decision that if they couldn’t win with players like this on the team being paid big money, it would be better to not win and spend a lot less instead and it was also a way get out from under Mike’s shadow and hit the reset button.

It’s like in Freud‘s short book Totem and Taboo where the sons kill the tyrannical primal father who hordes all the women and bananas, then they eat his corpse and institute a new law prohibiting anyone in the future from doing what they did to him. Stuff like this is never pretty or completely rational.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

I like it.  Now get a 1B/DH type

They did. 

At least build a team with a few functional guys while you lose 95 games. Maybe they have a little trade value. And hitters are better bets than broken starters.

The Tigers have signed two legit major leaguers this morning.  I wasn't expecting that.  

• Like 2

Perfectly average bat-first sluggers. IOW, vast improvement in the batting order.

They may or may not flip for much, depending on how they do, but at least the first four months should be slightly more watchable.

11 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Perfectly average bat-first sluggers. IOW, vast improvement in the batting order.

They may or may not flip for much, depending on how they do, but at least the first four months should be slightly more watchable.

Schoop can field too.  I assumed Cron was a 1B/DH type but he got a lot of votes in the Fielding Bible Awards finishing in the top 10.  

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

It at least creates a competent middle of the lineup

I mean they still arent great, but its guys who should be able to put up 1 war.

• Thanks 1