IdahoBert

2019-2020 OFFSEASON DISCUSSION THREAD

5 minutes ago, RatkoVarda said:

The Angels are going to pay Brad to surf and bang his hot wife for the next 2 years; he'll muddle through

So he'll be joining Shelton's life.......

3 hours ago, theroundsquare said:

I'd bet Maddon will go to the Angels, if he manages and isn't a front-office guy

Or the Padres.

3 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

I expected the Angels would give him more run than one year - if Maddon does end up there we can assume he was "Less Moss'ed."

Les got what...50 games?  Brutal treatment by Campbell...

1 hour ago, Tenacious D said:

Paging Avisail Garcia...

Mini-Miggy is a free agent this winter...just the kind of guy we can likely afford

10 minutes ago, Lei Pong said:

Les got what...50 games?  Brutal treatment by Campbell...

It wasn't personal.  It was business.

9 minutes ago, LooseGoose said:

funny thing is, I think Sparky was waaay overrated.  I'm not saying he was a bad manager, but he didn't have to add much to the Big Red machine or the 84 Tigers. You could  even argue that Sparky's biggest influence on the performance of the 80 Tigers was via Roger Craig, which of course he does credit for, but once Craig left his handling of pitching staffs was never particularly good.

3 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

I expected the Angels would give him more run than one year - if Maddon does end up there we can assume he was "Less Moss'ed."

I think this move is more about Maddon than Ausmus. This is the same Angels team that gave Socia a 10 year contract and was living off that 2002 championship. 

11 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

funny thing is, I think Sparky was waaay overrated.  I'm not saying he was a bad manager, but he didn't have to add much to the Big Red machine or the 84 Tigers. You could  even argue that Sparky's biggest influence on the performance of the 80 Tigers was via Roger Craig, which of course he does credit for, but once Craig left his handling of pitching staffs was never particularly good.

I think Sparky was more of a clubhouse manager than an in-game strategist.   Gibby, Tram, Morris, etc have all praised him for how he handled the strong personalities on those teams.

I remember feeling so bad for Les Moss at the time as he'd put his time in and had been "known" to be the future manager and then BAM.

52 minutes ago, LooseGoose said:

He still could have let him finish his veal before firing him

1 hour ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Definitely.  To only get to the Series once with that loaded team was quite an underachievement.

2 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

I think this move is more about Maddon than Ausmus. This is the same Angels team that gave Socia a 10 year contract and was living off that 2002 championship. 

I think its neato maddon got another manager fired after one year. He did it to Renteria with the Cubs

LLoyd is now the bench coach..Vavra is the new hitting coach.  **** yeah...dinger bombs are a coming our way for sure

boy, that hyped up brand new analytics office sure did make a big splash right off the bat!  al avila really has changed this organization and moved it in the right direction.

i mean, he moved lloyd mcclendon to BENCH COACH!  what a shakeup!  that will definitely change the organization.  and just to show how much they are forward thinking, they took the quality control coach and made him batting coach!

man, that is change we can all get behind.  a real shift in the organization.

bah.  

23 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

I would kick Al up to a glorified position, i.e., SVP of Baseball Operations, to save face like the Wings did with Jimmy Develano

Next, open up the vault for Houston’s Asst GM.  No idea who he or she is, but do it immediately after the World Series.

Houston has had their asst GM snatched by other teams twice in the last four years. The new guy has been in the position for a year.

So does this mean all the coaching changes have been made?  There goes the hot stove conversation for the next two or three months. 

Now they just need to sign a few guys with low OBP who can fail to all fields. Could somebody wake me up at the beginning of March? 

9 hours ago, Buddha said:

boy, that hyped up brand new analytics office sure did make a big splash right off the bat!  al avila really has changed this organization and moved it in the right direction.

i mean, he moved lloyd mcclendon to BENCH COACH!  what a shakeup!  that will definitely change the organization.  and just to show how much they are forward thinking, they took the quality control coach and made him batting coach!

man, that is change we can all get behind.  a real shift in the organization.

bah.  

They needed far more changes than this.   These changes mean nothing.   You can bank on  100+ losses next season as well.  It's pitiful.

I wouldn't worry too much about it for now.  Gardenhire is in the final season of his contract.  They're going to lose 100 games next season no matter who is on the coaching staff.  Some of the pitchers will be poised to make debuts in 2021.  The new coaching regime can take them and run with them.

Or did we really think Joe Maddon was going to brink his bag of tricks to Detroit and win the division next season?

18 minutes ago, roarintiger1 said:

They needed far more changes than this.   These changes mean nothing.   You can bank on  100+ losses next season as well.  It's pitiful.

Well they also named Santiago previously the first base coach as the third base coach and - get ready for this- named Clark previously the third base coach as the first base coach. 

Just such an incredible move for this forward thinking group.

Now instead of having guys thrown out at home they can save their energy and have them thrown out at second.

2 minutes ago, RatkoVarda said:

Well they also named Santiago previously the first base coach as the third base coach and - get ready for this- named Clark previously the third base coach as the first base coach. 

Now instead of having guys thrown out at home they can save their energy and have them thrown out at second.

Sure, if you assume they can get on base safely to begin with.

1 hour ago, RatkoVarda said:

Mr Titanic, meet Mr. Deckchair.

though tbh, I'm more interested in changes made at the instructional level than in Gardenhire's staff. But not much inspiring going on there either...