IdahoBert

2019-2020 OFFSEASON DISCUSSION THREAD

The Brewers are going after Avisail. Makes sense. I heard Prince Fielder and his wife still have a place in Milwaukee

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, apabruce said:

I'm in the Pacific Time Zone, so most regular season games start at 4 local time.  Most playoff games and all WS games start at 5.  Playoff games are longer than regular season games, mostly because of pitcher usage but also commercial breaks are longer, so games last until 9 local time.  That's midnight eastern time and if I lived in the east I would not stay up that late to watch a baseball game, unless the Tigers were in the game.

I'm a little puzzled by all the concern about start times, because many, if not most, households have DVRs and you can make the game start whenever you want.  Just don't watch the news before you want to start the game.  I start watching 4 o'clock games about 6, fast forward during commercial breaks and pitching changes, and can comfortably watch a baseball game in under 2 hours.

This makes a lot of sense, although a lot of the time friends text me about the game in progress and I either have to tell them no please don't, which I don't like to do, or I have to give up on catching up via DVR and just go straight to live so I can talk with them about it.

10 minutes ago, chasfh said:

This makes a lot of sense, although a lot of the time friends text me about the game in progress and I either have to tell them no please don't, which I don't like to do, or I have to give up on catching up via DVR and just go straight to live so I can talk with them about it.

Yeah, it probably doesn't work as well in some parts of the country.  Here, there are few baseball fans, let alone Tiger fans.

1 hour ago, leflore said:

The Brewers are going after Avisail. Makes sense. I heard Prince Fielder and his wife still have a place in Milwaukee

Done.  2 Yrs/$20M total

2.0 WAR vs 2.7 for Nick—will be really get that much more?  I think Garcia might be the more complete player.

5 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

You do need that system which is paying players whose ceilings were AAAA and AAA in particular, enough to stick around and create the final development environment for your serious prospects to work with/against.

Top caliber competition is hard to come by but you do have to play against somebody. I’ve seen a ton of short-season class A games in the NWL. And even there, aside from the usual high draft picks out of college, half the guys even at that low level seem over their heads and going nowhere.

In a perfect world everyone would be a true prospect and/or you could just train them in skills, but you couldn’t field much of a team and to have any kind of game experience at all over a true season there have to be a ton of filler guys that probably don’t belong there and are lucky to say that they were once drafted by a major-league team, and while it’s not rational it’s a logical accommodation of reality.

43 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

Done.  2 Yrs/$20M total

2.0 WAR vs 2.7 for Nick—will be really get that much more?  I think Garcia might be the more complete player.

Garcia's speed is incredible. He's one of the fastest runners in MLB. And he's huge. If he stays healthy, that's a steal. Nick will get more 'cause he's historically healthy.

45 minutes ago, Chili Mac Davis said:

Garcia's speed is incredible. He's one of the fastest runners in MLB. And he's huge. If he stays healthy, that's a steal. Nick will get more 'cause he's historically healthy.

What has he gotten out of that speed though? 25 steals in 8 seasons and middling to poor fielding grades. Not much to show. Maybe more upside than Nick but less consistent so far - flip a coin players.

48 minutes ago, Chili Mac Davis said:

Garcia home to first - 4.38, Castellanos - 4.28, c/o Savant.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Longgone said:

Garcia home to first - 4.38, Castellanos - 4.28, c/o Savant.

Figures. Nick's weakness is more lack of quickness than running speed - it's why he failed at 3rd. But Nick is not a bad straight line runner. In the OF his problem is that  his routes to fly balls are not straight lines often enough. :silly:

Yeah Nick's straight line speed is well above average and the reason he sucked in the field was not cause of it.  That's why at one point I suggested them trying him in CF. 

I mean if he's going to be bad defensively anyway might as well put him at the more valuable position.  Plus who knows maybe Nick would get a better read off of balls if he was out there vs. Rf.  The Rangers did this with Gallo for similar reasons and it worked out for them and added value to Gallo.  

13 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Yeah Nick's straight line speed is well above average and the reason he sucked in the field was not cause of it.  That's why at one point I suggested them trying him in CF. 

I mean if he's going to be bad defensively anyway might as well put him at the more valuable position.  Plus who knows maybe Nick would get a better read off of balls if he was out there vs. Rf.  The Rangers did this with Gallo for similar reasons and it worked out for them and added value to Gallo.  

It is true that more balls fly truer to CF than the corners. Counter intuitive but might have been interesting to try. Nick's better foot speed and arm were enough to keep runners more honest than JD did but that still didn't make him much of a RF, though I  thought he was a bigger improvement over JD than the metrics ever showed.

Who knows maybe they tried it in spring training and he struggled even more with jumps and reads so they scratched the idea. 

I just hope they atleast considered it instead of just assuming he couldn't do it cause he was a bad RF, just cause you're bad in RF doesn't mean you're gonna be that much worse in CF. 

There have been many players who's numbers don't change for better or worse whether they're in CF or the corners.  

Sure glad to see Corey Kluber leave the Indians........and our division.    Might still have to face him twice in a season, but it's better than 4 or 5 times.

BA released the Tigers top 10 prospects, with Mize and two other pitchers leading the way. There were no surprises. It was a good list.

21 minutes ago, roarintiger1 said:

Sure glad to see Corey Kluber leave the Indians........and our division.    Might still have to face him twice in a season, but it's better than 4 or 5 times.

One game he pitched vs Detroit last season was insane. So much movement. I hope he makes it back to cy level. Great pitcher. Great stuff

If Minor and Lynn can repeat their performances from last year Texas will quietly have one of the best top of the rotations in baseball.  Of course playing in that division with Houston, Oakland and LA I don't think it will matter though. 

1 hour ago, cruzer1 said:

BA released the Tigers top 10 prospects, with Mize and two other pitchers leading the way. There were no surprises. It was a good list.

Thanks for the heads up. Will check it out.

CBS put out their top 50 list - Mize at 7, Manning at 11. 

8 hours ago, apabruce said:

I'm in the Pacific Time Zone, so most regular season games start at 4 local time.  Most playoff games and all WS games start at 5.  Playoff games are longer than regular season games, mostly because of pitcher usage but also commercial breaks are longer, so games last until 9 local time.  That's midnight eastern time and if I lived in the east I would not stay up that late to watch a baseball game, unless the Tigers were in the game.

I'm a little puzzled by all the concern about start times, because many, if not most, households have DVRs and you can make the game start whenever you want.  Just don't watch the news before you want to start the game.  I start watching 4 o'clock games about 6, fast forward during commercial breaks and pitching changes, and can comfortably watch a baseball game in under 2 hours.

ummmm...advertisers don't care about your dvr

16 hours ago, tiger337 said:

Can casual fans even list five Tigers?  Are kids clamoring to get Brandon Dixon's autograph?  

Remember when watching Cabrera chase milestones in his final seasons was going to sell seats?

9 hours ago, Keepleyland2 said:

Yes they do. 

19 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

Done.  2 Yrs/$20M total

Nick had the great run with the Cubs, though, and I think at least one team will take the bet that Cubbie Nick is closer to the truth than Tiger Nick.

I'm still guessing 4/60.

13 hours ago, Keepleyland2 said:

What a coincidence! My DVR doesn't care about advertisers, either.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, chasfh said:

What a coincidence! My DVR doesn't care about advertisers, either.

Flying through ads during a recorded game is a god send.

My goodness, TV has come a long way.  40 years ago I was the remote control and we got 6 channels. 

48 minutes ago, Casimir said:

My goodness, TV has come a long way.  40 years ago I was the remote control and we got 6 channels. 

Six?  Lucky dog.  Your family must have been able to buy the name-brand aluminum foil to boost the antenna.  Nobody in my neighborhood could afford such an extravagance.

3 hours ago, Casimir said:

We got eight (2, 4, 7, 9, 20, 50, 56, 62), but none of them came in worth a damn. Channel 2 was especially bad with double imaging.