IdahoBert

2019-2020 OFFSEASON DISCUSSION THREAD

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

Because he's not a baseball announcer. Never has been. The Tigers were his first professional baseball gig. He had literally no track record calling baseball before doing the Tigers.

Well, that's why I expected it to be rough at times early on.  But I also expected improvement over time and I don't think that has happened.

11 minutes ago, Keepleyland2 said:

Hey if romine puts up the same numbers as last year he'll be our best hitter

Interesting. Wondering what Miggy thinks.

I like how we're systematically picking apart the Yankees today.  Let's top it off with The Judge--do you think Derek Hill and Dawal Lugo get it done?  If necessary, I'd toss in Drew VerHagen's jersey.

1 hour ago, Keepleyland2 said:

Hey if romine puts up the same numbers as last year he'll be our best hitter

He will have to compete with Reyes (100 OPS+ last year)

21 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

He will have to compete with Reyes (100 OPS+ last year)

Hopefully Victor will do a little better. I think it's a good sign when young guys play better the 2nd half of the season - i.e. they are making adjustments,  and Victor did . Playing fill-in his OPS was 613 through Jul 31. From Aug 1 through the end of the season playing pretty much full time it was 814.

Austin Romine is more than I thought this lick-spittle shadow of a team was willing to do this off-season. I like players like him the same way I like my women because both possess an unpredictable undertow of rage that may boil over with scant provocation. Thank you Al Avila for giving me hope. 

So we got our new catcher off the market who can start 70 or so games and catch 600 or so innings. Cool.

Who's going to catch the other 850 innings?

1 minute ago, chasfh said:

So we got our new catcher off the market who's going to start 70 games and catch 600 or so innings. Cool.

I think it works out about right. Before the ASB Greiner will get about 1/2 the games, or until he digs a hole deep enough that they release him. Then after the ASB Rogers will get half the rest of the way unless he wins a full time gig out right.

6 minutes ago, chasfh said:

So we got our new catcher off the market who can start 70 or so games and catch 600 or so innings. Cool.

G2

11 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

I think it works out about right. Before the ASB Greiner will get about 1/2 the games, or until he digs a hole deep enough that they release him. Then after the ASB Rogers will get half the rest of the way unless he wins a full time gig out right.

Hopefully Rogers is ready after Greiner hits the bricks.

13 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Hopefully Rogers is ready after Greiner hits the bricks.

IDK, there's a chance Greiner might be an OK backup kind of guy if he's healthy - though back issues can certainly be fatal for catchers. I don't mind giving him some AB to find out anyway.

5 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

Where is Duffy Dyer when you need him?  

He's living in Milt May's garage

Well, Romine might even almost be a slight improvement at the catcher position. Hopefully, Rogers will mature a little bit and Greiner will stay healthy.

I'm pretty sure that Austin Romine is the first big league player we've acquired during the data science era who comes directly from an organization that's acknowledged to be one of the top three in analytics. I find it especially interesting because as a catcher, he's the one type of player who would be intimately familiar with both the hitting side and pitching side of the analytics coin.

We may never find out, but I'd like to be a fly on the wall when he discovers the level the Tigers are at on this front. Will he be pleasantly surprised? Will he be horrified? Will he serve as a player conduit to bring recalcitrant coaches and players over to the data side? Might he share his first-hand Yankees experience with the Tigers to help us raise our data game? Or will the organization keep him at arm's length on this topic and basically say, thanks anyway, kid, we know what we're doing and we got a plan? Man, would I ever love to learn how this plays out.

8 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I'm pretty sure that Austin Romine is the first big league player we've acquired during the data science era who comes directly from an organization that's acknowledged to be one of the top three in analytics. I find it especially interesting because as a catcher, he's the one type of player who would be intimately familiar with both the hitting side and pitching side of the analytics coin.

We may never find out, but I'd like to be a fly on the wall when he discovers the level the Tigers are at on this front. Will he be pleasantly surprised? Will he be horrified? Will he serve as a player conduit to bring recalcitrant coaches and players over to the data side? Might he share his first-hand Yankees experience with the Tigers to help us raise our data game? Or will the organization keep him at arm's length on this topic and basically say, thanks anyway, kid, we know what we're doing and we got a plan? Man, would I ever love to learn how this plays out.

Maybe already knows.  As a free agent, he might have inquired about this prior to signing.

I had no idea how good of a season he had last year—great pick up—I can see him playing 110 games, at least, if they play a straight platoon.  Big improvement over last season’s black hole at C

11 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Depends if he wants to be here for more than a year or if he likes the Doug M career path

1 minute ago, Tenacious D said:

Maybe already knows.  As a free agent, he might have inquired about this prior to signing.

I had no idea how good of a season he had last year—great pick up—I can see him playing 110 games, at least, if they play a straight platoon.  Big improvement over last season’s black hole at C

And hes been around enough that he should helps the young pitchers with something in their game.

35 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

Romine has been pretty good the past couple of years when he's been out there. He clearly found something starting in 2018 he didn't have before. Flip side, though, he's  never caught more 611 innings in any big league season. Last year he caught 563. Asking him to pick up an additional 400 or so innings on top of that, and at age 31, might be a little ambitious. 

2 hours ago, chasfh said:

Wouldn't he already know that from talking to Cessa and Chad Green?

9 hours ago, cruzer1 said:

Interesting. Wondering what Miggy thinks.

Am thinking Romine could play all of 2020 and 2021 for the Tigers and then go FA again and be resigned by another team ..and Miggy wouldn't even know Romine had been a Tiger!

Romine is a great pickup. I read an article during the season praising him, and whether the Yanks would try to sign him. I'm pretty sure I read that the Yanks played better with Romine behind the plate than with Sanchez. Regarding Miggy, he won't remember the fight.

Regarding the Rule V, I assume the pitcher will be converted to a reliever, at least for now. But has any Rule V pitcher remianed a starter his whole first year in the bigs? I can't think of one. Also, does the second player we took have to stay in the bigs all year also?

38 minutes ago, Chili Mac Davis said:

Romine is a great pickup. I read an article during the season praising him, and whether the Yanks would try to sign him. I'm pretty sure I read that the Yanks played better with Romine behind the plate than with Sanchez. Regarding Miggy, he won't remember the fight.

Regarding the Rule V, I assume the pitcher will be converted to a reliever, at least for now. But has any Rule V pitcher remianed a starter his whole first year in the bigs? I can't think of one. Also, does the second player we took have to stay in the bigs all year also?

We only selected one player in the MLB phase.