IdahoBert

2019-2020 OFFSEASON DISCUSSION THREAD

6 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

it's in full swing at my house.  if you come, bring some dip. 

Related image

Vth house from the corner.

34 minutes ago, Casimir said:

OK, so, where is the rule V party today?

Somewhere in Canada near a church.  

32 minutes ago, cruzer1 said:

BA is projecting Romy Garcia rhp NYY.

Rony Garcia. Garcia started the season with High-A Tampa, but quickly earned a promotion to Double-A. He struggled early at that level, but came on strong finishing the year with five no-hit innings in the Eastern League Championship clinching game. Garcia can sit 95-96 mph through a start, and drew high praise from Trenton manager Pat Osborn and pitching coach Tim Norton for the cutter he has developed over the last year. His high velocity fastball makes him a strong candidate, as there is likely a team out there that might want a look at him as a reliever.

https://www.pinstripealley.com/2019/12/11/21009762/yankees-rule-5-draft-preview-prospects-chris-gittens-rony-garcia-daniel-alvarez

1. Rony Garcia – He had an overall decent season, but Garcia especially turned it on towards the end. On the season, he had a 4.01 ERA and 129 K : 45 BB in 130.1 innings. In July, August and the playoffs his ERA plummeted. Over his final 13 starts of the season including the playoffs, all with Trenton, Garcia had a 2.98 ERA and 69 K in 69.333 innings. That’s about half a season worth of pitching to a 2.98 ERA with 9 K/9 innings. Garcia also had an uptick in velocity and added a cutter this season. The improved stuff allowed him to finish the season on a high note. If he come back in the same condition for 2020, he will have a huge breakout season and could find himself knocking on the door to the major leagues.

http://bronxbaseballdaily.com/2019/11/second-half-heroes/

2 hours ago, Casimir said:

I could understand Shepard being rough at the end of '18 (with being put on the spot for the end of that season) and the beginning of '19, but it doesn't seem like he improved much over the season.

Because he's not a baseball announcer. Never has been. The Tigers were his first professional baseball gig. He had literally no track record calling baseball before doing the Tigers.

1 hour ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Hawk was fine to listen to during a game as long as the Sox were losing (he was only insufferable when they were winning) , so he'd probably be great in Det right now.....

i dont think the sox will be losing much in detroit next season...

3 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Because he's not a baseball announcer. Never had been. The Tigers were his first professional baseball gig. He literally had no track record in calling baseball.

Though it's not his play calling that is the problem so much. The game itself is probably the easiest thing in baseball - it's more that he just doesn't project an appealing personality you want to spend time with. And his interaction with his color guys is just painful to listen to. He is so obsequious to Morris and Gibson you want to throw up. They gave you the gig man, act like you belong there!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Buddha said:

i dont think the sox will be losing much in detroit next season...

Nor anyone else. Though I thought the premise was if Hawk was working for the Tigers - but it might be funny to hear him do a Sox game working for the other team. In any case Hawk is near 80, I think he probably just wants to golf at this point.

1 hour ago, tiger337 said:

Somewhere in Canada near a church.  

I'm all dressed up and ready. When are you guys coming by?

canada-church - .jpg

13 minutes ago, bobrob2004 said:

On the plus side he has played a little better each of the last couple years.  Not going to throw a ton of guys out and not a LH bat but he's serviceable. I'd still  have preferred Alex.

35 minutes ago, cruzer1 said:

Pick is Garcia.

Notable that he threw 130 innings last season. I wonder if they will stretch him out in ST just for grins.

16 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Did you see attendance the 2nd half of the season? The fans already have checked out. If that were going to make a difference it should be doing it already. Don't have numbers but have to think TV ratings pretty much did the same thing.                                 

That was half a season. Get the total year attendance to trend to 950,000 to 1 million and changes will be made.

7 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Notable that he threw 130 innings last season. I wonder if they will stretch him out in ST just for grins.

That seems likely. 

12 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

On the plus side he has played a little better each of the last couple years.  Not going to throw a ton of guys out and not a LH bat but he's serviceable. I'd still  have preferred Alex.

I wonder if Castro has no interest in the Tigers or if he's just out of price range.

34 minutes ago, cruzer1 said:

Interesting. Wondering what Miggy thinks.

Who cares?  He needs to be worried about coming to camp in shape and hitting the ball.

5 minutes ago, Casimir said:

Who cares?  He needs to be worried about coming to camp in shape and hitting the ball.

Come on now. We all know that come February, we will hear he is the best shape of his life.