IdahoBert

2019-2020 OFFSEASON DISCUSSION THREAD

3 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Yeah after looking at it more closely I agree. I think I got caught up in what Valenti was spewing earlier, he made it sound like they gave up some scrub for him. 

Despite that I still think that type of player is one they should Target if the price is right, again maybe they have but until they are atleast rumored to be in on some of these players I will continue to feel like they are putting off the vibe I spoke about earlier.

They were rumored to be in on Mazara. 

I think at this point its gonan be hard for them, kind of a kitchen an egg situation, where its gonna be hard to get guys like that because there will be teams closer willing to give up more or we will have to overpay for any decent FA to come to a bad team. I think you're gonna see a few signings to help do slightly better this year, but the goal is still gonna be to lose 95 games with the first wave of help arriving in August. 

I guess main point I'm trying to make is I hope they are atleast trying to get guys that could potentially help us in 2-3 years.  I'd like to have some good players already in the stable before the Calvary comes up.

I know he would cost too much prospect wise and perhaps money wise but for example if our system was a little deeper I wouldn't mind them going after a guy like Lindor and giving him a big contract ala Miggy.

1 hour ago, Keepleyland2 said:

If you take BR 2020 projections...Stewart is basically gonna be the same player Mazara was his first two years

Stewart is older than Mazara and a worse player.  Mazara never had a season as bad as the season Stewart just had.

I'm not saying they should have traded for Mazara but saying they're the same player is giving Stewart credit he doesn't really deserve.

I never got the hate for Hawk, yeah he was a homer but so what? If he was broadcasting national games and showing favoritism I could understand the hate but I have no problem with a local broadcaster openly rooting for the team he's calling. 

12 minutes ago, Buddha said:

Stewart is older than Mazara and a worse player.  Mazara never had a season as bad as the season Stewart just had.

I'm not saying they should have traded for Mazara but saying they're the same player is giving Stewart credit he doesn't really deserve.

Stewart is a worse fielder too.  

3 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

I never got the hate for Hawk, yeah he was a homer but so what? If he was broadcasting national games and showing favoritism I could understand the hate but I have no problem with a local broadcaster openly rooting for the team he's calling. 

I remember when Hawk when he was a broadcaster for the Red Sox in the 70s (and those were only games I could watch).  I earned my "hate" 

Seriously though,  most TV announcers are so bad, Hawk was actually pretty good in comparison.   

2 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Well, Candelario might be worth the wait, I'm at the point where I'm going to be pretty shocked if Stewart is.

Personally, I think Candelario and Stewart have about the same probability of succeeding in the Majors.  

12 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Hawk is a good announcer with all sorts of tall tales in a nice drawl.  But he's not just a homer, he was smarmy about it.  It wasn't like he was celebrating the Sox winning, he was throwing it in your face and celebrating YOU losing.

The homer stuff was just funny cause he was so comically uninformed.  The best was the radio interview he gave (from the golf course, of course) to local sports radio guys who he hated and who hated him.  They got him all riled up about these "newfangled" statistics that were ruining the game.  "The only stat that matters," he yelled, "is TWTW...The Will To Win."  

That was when he was in his full love affair with the grit and hustle of Mark Kotsay.  It was ignorant, it was ridiculous, it was stupid, but it was oh so glorious and I miss it.

2 hours ago, Keepleyland2 said:

If you take BR 2020 projections...Stewart is basically gonna be the same player Mazara was his first two years

If you take Steamer's 2020 projections, Stewart and Mazara will be the same player in 2020.

Stewart - .245/.327/.433 | 98 wRC+

Mazara - .269/.331/.477 | 101 wRC+

They are giving Mazara more playing time, so his counting stats look better and he has a higher batting average, therefore a slightly better wRC+.  In terms of power, Mazara is also slightly better (.207 to .188 ISO).  In terms of who will actually have a better 2020, it's close enough to be a toss up at this point.

The Tigers should hire Hawk Harrelson. The games are going to be miserable to watch anyway, and the suffering he'd endure trying to be a homer for this team would be just punishment for him.

• Haha 1

For sure....

I liked Hawk and think he deserves this.   I could tell when they'd play the Tigers that the broadcast crews would have fun with each other.  A few times he'd do interviews with Jim Price and they would talk about the good old days.... I remember Mario dropping a "he gone..." a few times against the Sox.  

16 hours ago, Lei Pong said:

If Miggy could still hit like fat Luzinski...no one would care what shape he's in

Just kind of interpreting this from bbref, but he was pretty much purely a DH during his final 4 seasons, all with the White Sox.  His OPS+ was 145, 130, 129, and 89 as basically and everyday player, tailing off to 477 PAs in his final season.  So, yeah, he could still swing it while playing in husky pants.

Ah, here's a fun one:  5 SBs in his last season.  

4 hours ago, holygoat said:

Given the choice, I'd listen to Hawk over Shep 10 times out of 10.

I could understand Shepard being rough at the end of '18 (with being put on the spot for the end of that season) and the beginning of '19, but it doesn't seem like he improved much over the season.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, kdog said:

Ricky Porcello signs a 1 year $10 million deal with the Mets.

Porcello seems like a pitcher who could benefit from the NL.  

10 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

Porcello seems like a pitcher who could benefit from the NL.  

He's clutch, and gets his uniform dirty.

2 minutes ago, cruzer1 said:

He's clutch, and gets his uniform dirty.

He takes the mound every fifth day without a complaint.  

1 hour ago, Oblong said:

For sure....

I liked Hawk and think he deserves this.   I could tell when they'd play the Tigers that the broadcast crews would have fun with each other.  A few times he'd do interviews with Jim Price and they would talk about the good old days.... I remember Mario dropping a "he gone..." a few times against the Sox.  

Hawk was fine to listen to during a game as long as the Sox were losing (he was only insufferable when they were winning) , so he'd probably be great in Det right now.....