IdahoBert

2019-2020 OFFSEASON DISCUSSION THREAD

I understand most here don't think they should add future pieces via FA yet. I sure hope they do by next off season. The bats are so young in the system - 17-18. Looks like the clock will start this year on Mize, Manning, maybe Skubal, Faedo, etc. If they wait for the kid bats the window may be short if the Toledo pitchers pan out as studs. Maybe they intend to trade from their pitching well. If Illitch won't spend I hope the family does sell. I posted this with a headache, and a craving for french toast, so maybe it doesn't make sense.

1 hour ago, Keepleyland2 said:

I get it.

But I also get that is silly to whine about him being behind the times (which by the way is not guaranteed for success) and then when he does get with the time to whine about it being too late

What makes you think he got with the times?

It looks as though the Giants are serious front runners for Nick. Anxious to see if he lands there.

I hope nick goes to San Francisco so I can troll about his stats having to play offense and defense in that park. He thought comerica was bad lol 

2 hours ago, Oblong said:

Who makes a cake and just lets it sit there?

I left it out in the rain. And I don't think that I can make, cause it took so long to bake it.

1 hour ago, leflore said:

I understand most here don't think they should add future pieces via FA yet. I sure hope they do by next off season. The bats are so young in the system - 17-18. Looks like the clock will start this year on Mize, Manning, maybe Skubal, Faedo, etc. If they wait for the kid bats the window may be short if the Toledo pitchers pan out as studs. Maybe they intend to trade from their pitching well. If Illitch won't spend I hope the family does sell. I posted this with a headache, and a craving for french toast, so maybe it doesn't make sense.

I respectfully disagree with holding off on signing a free agent.  If it’s the right player at a position of need (which is everywhere), why wait?  Machado last year and Gregorious this year match that criteria.

30 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

I left it out in the rain. And I don't think that I can make, cause it took so long to bake it.

Tell me you still have the recipe....or that you'll find it again some day

56 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

I respectfully disagree with holding off on signing a free agent.  If it’s the right player at a position of need (which is everywhere), why wait?  Machado last year and Gregorious this year match that criteria.

The thing is that we’re not able to sign a good free agent. We could never have gotten Machado last year and we could never have gotten Didi this year. The only free agents we can sign in our current state are those nobody else want to sign, and/or who are on the way out of the league involuntarily, and/or who are looking for a chance to rehabilitate their performance level so they can get traded to a contender in July. 

Just now, chasfh said:

The thing is that we’re not able to sign a good free agent. We could never have gotten Machado last year and we could never have gotten Didi this year. The only free agents we can sign in our current state are those nobody else want to sign, and/or who are on the way out of the league involuntarily, and/or who are looking for a chance to rehabilitate their performance level so they can get traded to a contender in July. 

I disagree.  Machado has to wait a long time before signing and Didi settled for a one year deal.

I do agree it will get more difficult as the market starts to loosen up.  Definitely a good time to be a free agent this offseason vs the past three, but we could still be an attractive destination if we’re willing to spend.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Buddha said:

fulmer reaches free agency in 2023.

Wow. So get him healthy this summer and at the trading deadline of 2021, trade him for a couple of prospects. The building/rebuilding never stops.

Seeing this reminds me we are about a month out from hearing "best shape of his life" reports.

30 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Money solves all these problems.

Didi is taking a huge risk: that he stays healthy, that he is productive, that a QO does not depress his value in the winter of 2020. The risk may be worth it.

But if the Tigers offered 16-18M per for 3 or 4 years, would he have signed? I think yes. 

I think Avila is operating in a vacuum right now. Be it self imposed or an Illitch edict, it is not doing the future makeup of the team good. There are pieces out there that he could add and still stay within a limited budget. But this conscious exile from looking outside the organization is not good, imo.

Is there any word on Matt Moore and his status? 

2 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

When I say "most here" I'm actually not including myself. I've posted before I think they need to start building now. I'd prefer Manning et al not start their careers with crap defense and a lot of losses. I agree with you that I'd prefer to see them improve now. I'm concerned they'll slowly build position players and peak when Manning et al have maybe 2 years left on the clock before they hit FA. 

20 minutes ago, 1776 said:

I think Avila is operating in a vacuum right now. Be it self imposed or an Illitch edict, it is not doing the future makeup of the team good. There are pieces out there that he could add and still stay within a limited budget. But this conscious exile from looking outside the organization is not good, imo.

Is there any word on Matt Moore and his status? 

I don't think it's self imposed because while he could make the argument to Ilitch that it's not smart to spend money to "get to .500" when you could invest that money elsewhere for longer term benefits Ilitch could order him to go ahead and do it because they are taking a beating at the gate and in a marketing sense.

They've lost 300 games in 3 years in as close to an 'on purpose' manner as you can get without players actually throwing games.

17 minutes ago, leflore said:

When I say "most here" I'm actually not including myself. I've posted before I think they need to start building now. I'd prefer Manning et al not start their careers with crap defense and a lot of losses. I agree with you that I'd prefer to see them improve now. I'm concerned they'll slowly build position players and peak when Manning et al have maybe 2 years left on the clock before they hit FA. 

Yep, wasn’t directing that at you, but the sentiment from others.

Now go pay your back alimony.

1 hour ago, Tenacious D said:

I disagree.  Machado has to wait a long time before signing and Didi settled for a one year deal.

I do agree it will get more difficult as the market starts to loosen up.  Definitely a good time to be a free agent this offseason vs the past three, but we could still be an attractive destination if we’re willing to spend.

Didi signed with a contender, choosing to sign a one year as a gamble to have a great year and cash in next winter (he’s coming off TJ). Machado signed with a team that‘a due to be a contender soon. The Tigers aren’t either of those. Playing on a winner matters to players. Tigers would have to substantial overpay to try to steal a player from a contender, and even that might not work. We’re just not ready to get serious on really good free agents yet. 

1 hour ago, RatkoVarda said:

Money solves all these problems.

Didi is taking a huge risk: that he stays healthy, that he is productive, that a QO does not depress his value in the winter of 2020. The risk may be worth it.

But if the Tigers offered 16-18M per for 3 or 4 years, would he have signed? I think yes. 

Sure, he might have signed for 4/72. That would have dramatically outbid everyone else. And Manny might have signed a 12/400 offer from the Tigers, too. That kind of ovwrpay would solve problems. 

We're entering the "gotta sign Fernando Vina and Jason Johnson" phase with the "hope a guy like Magglio is coming off an injury and nobody will touch him but we will give a 4 year deal" cherry hopefully on top.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

Yep, wasn’t directing that at you, but the sentiment from others.

Now go pay your back alimony.

Already spent it on cake

6 hours ago, Keepleyland2 said:

I get it.

But I also get that is silly to whine about him being behind the times (which by the way is not guaranteed for success) and then when he does get with the time to whine about it being too late

No, actually its perfectly consistent, just like you whining about people whining.

49 minutes ago, Oblong said:

We're entering the "gotta sign Fernando Vina and Jason Johnson" phase with the "hope a guy like Magglio is coming off an injury and nobody will touch him but we will give a 4 year deal" cherry hopefully on top.

No way Pudge and Ordonez sign if they don't sign Vina first.  

2 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

No way Pudge and Ordonez sign if they don't sign Vina first.  

Agree 100%.