IdahoBert

2019-2020 OFFSEASON DISCUSSION THREAD

2 minutes ago, Casimir said:

Yup, this.  I understand a dip in his performance after his incident, but he was not good before that.  And, really, why was he an all star to begin with?  He wasn't all that great during his all star season.

But he is an upgrade and potential trade chip. I wouldn't make a huge offer, but he might agree to a low 1-yr offer because he would likely get a lot of playing time. I wonder who made up the rumor? 

12 minutes ago, Casimir said:

I suppose.  I get the lottery ticket aspect of it.  But I don't see it here.  He seems to be more of a known name than an actual performing player.

He had 2 WAR or better every year from 2015-2018.  A lot of it was fielding which was good every year until 2019.  

1 minute ago, leflore said:

But he is an upgrade and potential trade chip. I wouldn't make a huge offer, but he might agree to a low 1-yr offer because he would likely get a lot of playing time. I wonder who made up the rumor? 

He may be an upgrade, which is an indictment on the current cast of characters.

Maybe its just me, but I don't see much of a market for a .700 OPS hitter for over 2,000 PAs that hasn't improved over his career.

20 hours ago, Sports_Freak said:

And it doesn't matter. Not many, if any at all, of the players on the roster in 2019 will be counted on as players for the rebuild. Maybe Stewart? And a couple of pitchers and utility players? What's the use of trying to teach a player who's only holding down a spot until a real, quality player comes along.

The point is that it is Gardenhire’s ($1.5 million) job to teach all the players, especially the marginal ones, and not just the good ones who don’t need so much teaching. For one thing, it’s a key part of any manager’s job. For another, the Tiger fan base was sold on the hire based on his alleged ability to teach the players to “play the right way.”  Selling that to us, then excusing him because his players simply suck, is essentially bait and switch. 

10 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Daniel Norris, your table is ready. 

Is Norris accused of something?

11 minutes ago, chasfh said:

The point is that it is Gardenhire’s ($1.5 million) job to teach all the players, especially the marginal ones, and not just the good ones who don’t need so much teaching. For one thing, it’s a key part of any manager’s job. For another, the Tiger fan base was sold on the hire based on his alleged ability to teach the players to “play the right way.”  Selling that to us, then excusing him because his players simply suck, is essentially bait and switch. 

What good ones?

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Buddha said:

no one knows anything about him other than what his wife has said in her blog.  we have no idea what happened or addison russell's mental state.

as for whether we take a chance on a 26 year old shortstop who was once a top 3 prospect and who has demonstrated an ability to play superior defense with occasional pop over whether we take a 33 year old washed up shortstop as a stopgap, well, i'll take the 26 year old.

he's a lottery ticket.

how much penance does russell need to do?  walk with a hairshirt and have monks beat him as he walks by?  go to "rehab"?  genuflect before a statue of betty friedan and beg forgiveness from all women?  

It takes time and staying clean more than anything else. It would help too if he got another woman (new girlfriend or wife) who could stand up for him at a moment of truth. I’m gonna guess at least a couple years. The social intransigence on MeToo will eventually pass. 

20 minutes ago, Buddha said:

Is Norris accused of something?

Sorry, I meant Derek Norris the catcher, signed by the Tigers after he was suspended. So Avila is also full of ****.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Casimir said:

Yup, this.  I understand a dip in his performance after his incident, but he was not good before that.  And, really, why was he an all star to begin with?  He wasn't all that great during his all star season.

2016 was a very Cubbie year all around. 

Russell hit a fair amount of dingers that year....chicks dig the long ball.,

Until you start beating on them....

5 hours ago, Casimir said:

I suppose.  I get the lottery ticket aspect of it.  But I don't see it here.  He seems to be more of a known name than an actual performing player.

Carlos Guillen didn't have a great season at the plate until he was 28.

Sometimes it takes a player time for it to click at the plate.  JD is another example.

On 12/5/2019 at 10:47 AM, RandyMarsh said:

Pennsylvania has a lower tax rate than Illinois and the cost of living is less in Philadelphia than Chicago so I guess it depends on how much more the offer was.  If it was just marginally more than he probably will end up clearing more money with the Phillies than he would have with the White Sox despite the offer being less. 

Philadelphia has a wage tax.

7 hours ago, Casimir said:

How about trading Simon back for Suarez?

You forgot to say 'Simon Suarez'...

Royals locked up Trevor Rosenthal with a minor league contract.

If only we'd given him an extension when we had the chance

17 hours ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Sometimes it takes a player time for it to click at the plate.  JD is another example.

Sure, it happens on occasion.  He is only 26, so that does work in his favor as far as his offense is concerned.

18 hours ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Though not the norm - there are quite a few. We once gave a fellow named Cecil Fielder a chance ;)

41 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Hence, a lottery ticket.  Unlikely to pan out, but nothing (much) to lose to find out.

I agree

I like the move making Joe Vavra the new hitting coach. Reading through some of his ideas and expectations is encouraging. FWIW, his son, Terrin, was named the 2019 South Atlantic League Hitter of the Year while playing for the Asheville Tourists.

On 12/6/2019 at 1:42 AM, AlaskanTigersFan said:

Gardy has had ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to work with. Name one starting position player that would work on any other team in MLB? The Tigers literally do not HAVE 1. I don't know how anyone can be upset with Gardy. It'd literally be like asking someone to build a computer and giving them a grain of sand in the middle of the ocean. Gardy is a good coach. The Tiger leadership needs to give him SOMETHING to work with. 

How do you properly evaluate a manager if he has nothing to work with?