IdahoBert

2019-2020 OFFSEASON DISCUSSION THREAD

I don't see the point in signing Russell.  The Tigers already have a guy with somewhat similar numbers in CastroH.  Not that I'm advocating for CastroH to be in the everyday lineup.  But its tough to see Russell as an improving asset when he's 6 seasons in and he's not very good.

Not that I want to see him signed, but Russell consistently put up plus defensive numbers prior to this year.  I don't know if this year was just a fluke or a beginning of a downturn.

For what it's worth, McCosky says there is no truth to the Russell rumor.  

53 minutes ago, Buddha said:

all sorts of these on twitter.

cause twitter is the worst place on earth that gives a voice to the worst people on earth.

I thought it was funny, nothing more. 

32 minutes ago, Casimir said:

I don't see the point in signing Russell.  The Tigers already have a guy with somewhat similar numbers in CastroH.  Not that I'm advocating for CastroH to be in the everyday lineup.  But its tough to see Russell as an improving asset when he's 6 seasons in and he's not very good.

The only baseball thing going for Addison Russell is that he’s only 26 and tested positive for elite defense at one time. He does have some pop but there are too many other holes in his stick to top out as anything more than shortstop average. There are suggestions that his off field troubles contributed to his on field troubles, which checks the plausibility box, so a truly fresh start somewhere, like Asia, could be just the thing he needs to salvage his career and maybe come back in a couple years. 

17 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

Not that I want to see him signed, but Russell consistently put up plus defensive numbers prior to this year.  I don't know if this year was just a fluke or a beginning of a downturn.

What? Jon Heyman might have tweeted an unsubstantiated rumor?

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

35 minutes ago, Casimir said:

The point is it is another lottery ticket, nothing more.

It isn't likely to matter either way.

44 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

thank god our concern trolling worked!

Does not matter at all to me whether an interesting discourse has its own thread or is buried within a long general thread.  I visit daily and read every new post anyways.  

Also does not make a difference to me if I ask a question that may have already been asked a long time ago.  If someone were to rudely respond that that question was already asked and answered .. and takes up more time and/or space being rude instead of just answering the question directly ..well, that just reflects upon that person and not me.

I personally have not met any body here.  You are all strangers except in the sense that sometimes I can tell who posted something without even looking at their user name.  

Simply put, ..I enjoy reading other people's opinions about baseball.  It is fun ..and I often learn something along the way.  Plus, I also like expressing my own thoughts now and then.  That is fun too.

Not going to please everybody .. and not going to be pleased with everybody.  Just like real life.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

I frankly have no good way to judge if they made more or fewer mental errors in 2019 relative to 2018.

And even if they did, I don't know how much of that is attributable to, or could be mitigated by, the coaching staff.

And it doesn't matter. Not many, if any at all, of the players on the roster in 2019 will be counted on as players for the rebuild. Maybe Stewart? And a couple of pitchers and utility players? What's the use of trying to teach a player who's only holding down a spot until a real, quality player comes along.

2 hours ago, leflore said:

Under the right circumstances I wouldn't mind Det giving him a chance. I'm not convinced he's a starter in mlb though. I'd just as soon have Mercer back another year and put him at 2B. Imho W Castro needs more time in Toledo. Mercer seems a good tutor and overall clubhouse guy. And when healthy he's ok. I also hear he's a heckuva rollerball skater

I was thinking the same thing during the season last year. I would rather have Mercer holding down a spot over Russell. I mean, the Tigers stink. Do we really want to sink so low we sign a player nobody else will because he stinks and beats his wife? I would rather lose than to sign such a disturbed individual. 

4 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

I was thinking the same thing during the season last year. I would rather have Mercer holding down a spot over Russell. I mean, the Tigers stink. Do we really want to sink so low we sign a player nobody else will because he stinks and beats his wife? I would rather lose than to sign such a disturbed individual. 

no one knows anything about him other than what his wife has said in her blog.  we have no idea what happened or addison russell's mental state.

as for whether we take a chance on a 26 year old shortstop who was once a top 3 prospect and who has demonstrated an ability to play superior defense with occasional pop over whether we take a 33 year old washed up shortstop as a stopgap, well, i'll take the 26 year old.

he's a lottery ticket.

how much penance does russell need to do?  walk with a hairshirt and have monks beat him as he walks by?  go to "rehab"?  genuflect before a statue of betty friedan and beg forgiveness from all women?  

now, if you think that russell has never developed since his all star year and that his earlier fielding prowress is in decline, then perhaps you look elsewhere.

I would take Russell over Mercer, because there is a small chance Russell could develop into something and no chance that Mercer will.  It probably won't make a difference either way.  

It is possible to both condemn domestic violence and give an alleged abuser another chance, if the conditions are right (he is contrite, is willing to speak out against DV, etc). I confess I haven't followed the story all that much and don't even know if he was ever convicted. Or if he is even producing in mlb at a level where he could help.  I supervise a team that helps vulnerable homeless. One of my very best staff did time for opiate sales and is a recovering heroin addict. Shelters are full of folks with records because they can't find work and landlords won't rent to them in a tight market. I realize his story is different in that we're talking about a privileged few who get paid a ton of dinero to play a sport. I'm still interested in knowing the facts and am open to giving the guy another chance. That wouldn't necessarily be the reason I would pass. Lack of production or overall team plan fit would. And I don't know much about his production. I do enjoy a good cigar. And wind-up toys.

33 minutes ago, leflore said:

It is possible to both condemn domestic violence and give an alleged abuser another chance, if the conditions are right (he is contrite, is willing to speak out against DV, etc). I confess I haven't followed the story all that much and don't even know if he was ever convicted. Or if he is even producing in mlb at a level where he could help.  I supervise a team that helps vulnerable homeless. One of my very best staff did time for opiate sales and is a recovering heroin addict. Shelters are full of folks with records because they can't find work and landlords won't rent to them in a tight market. I realize his story is different in that we're talking about a privileged few who get paid a ton of dinero to play a sport. I'm still interested in knowing the facts and am open to giving the guy another chance. That wouldn't necessarily be the reason I would pass. Lack of production or overall team plan fit would. And I don't know much about his production. I do enjoy a good cigar. And wind-up toys.

Yes, I agree about giving him the benefit of the doubt. Or another chance. I just find it disturbing that there are multiple cases of him behaving this way. Convicted in the court of public opinion can, at times, be worse that an actual court. It makes you wonder if justice is different for a baseball player who makes big dollars over an average joe.

That being said, it wouldn't surprise me if there are no takers on him. Teams are under too much pressure to be politically correct. Plus, he's not very good. It makes you wonder if a great player (Cabrera) would get more chances. Production matters.

I would like to see the Tigers continue to be aggressive internationally. We are accumulating pretty good talent down there. Much better the last couple years. I think some of those guys are overlooked.

2 hours ago, Tim Mitchell said:

I would like to see the Tigers continue to be aggressive internationally. We are accumulating pretty good talent down there. Much better the last couple years. I think some of those guys are overlooked.

I agree. I think that's a big area where Detroit fell behind the times. 

19 hours ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

The point is it is another lottery ticket, nothing more.

It isn't likely to matter either way.

I suppose.  I get the lottery ticket aspect of it.  But I don't see it here.  He seems to be more of a known name than an actual performing player.

18 hours ago, Buddha said:

now, if you think that russell has never developed since his all star year and that his earlier fielding prowress is in decline, then perhaps you look elsewhere.

Yup, this.  I understand a dip in his performance after his incident, but he was not good before that.  And, really, why was he an all star to begin with?  He wasn't all that great during his all star season.