drownwithyou

2019 Red Wings Preseason Games Thread

I like that the Wings sent their best players to a small U.P. town for Hockeyville U.S.A. to play in a 700-seat arena. When the Canucks schedule an exhibition game in rural B.C. they usually send AHLers only, which is disappointing for the host town.

I remember going to a few Red Wings pre-season games in Port Huron in the '70s but I think that is when the Wings were holding their training camp there.

EFZhTsAXUAAx7mP?format=jpg&name=medium

EFa4kvOXsAEMVrN?format=jpg&name=4096x409

• Like 1

Amazing how good they have looked without Abdelkader, Ericsson, Jensen, Daley.....

And sure, once the whistle blows for real the young defensemen probably wouldn't be looking nearly as good, but Blashill giving all the young Dmen the ice time in these exhibition games has been a fun tease for what playing a younger, faster blue line group will look like.

10 hours ago, lordstanley said:

I like that the Wings sent their best players to a small U.P. town for Hockeyville U.S.A. to play in a 700-seat arena. When the Canucks schedule an exhibition game in rural B.C. they usually send AHLers only, which is disappointing for the host town.

I remember going to a few Red Wings pre-season games in Port Huron in the '70s but I think that is when the Wings were holding their training camp there.

EFZhTsAXUAAx7mP?format=jpg&name=medium

EFa4kvOXsAEMVrN?format=jpg&name=4096x409

Being involved with youth hockey the past 10 years at an association level, one thing I will give the Wings as an organization a lot of credit for is they are really good about supporting hockey at the local level, be it sending out equipment, hosting well run coaching clinics, sending top players to association hockey days, sponsoring and supporting get into hockey programs, etc.

I know part of it is marketing / they know developing youth hockey helps them develop lifelong fans, but I certainly haven't seen anything approaching that level of support from the Tigers in youth baseball as a counterpoint.

I don't know if other NHL teams are as good about this sort of thing, so I have no frame of reference, but I have been very favorably impressed, and it is nice to see out of the team I happen to have supported my entire life.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Amazing how good they have looked without Abdelkader, Ericsson, Jensen, Daley.....

And sure, once the whistle blows for real the young defensemen probably wouldn't be looking nearly as good, but Blashill giving all the young Dmen the ice time in these exhibition games has been a fun tease for what playing a younger, faster blue line group will look like.

If the young D aren't overwhelmed, I would rather they play them.  I don't expect play-offs this year and, well, we know what Ericcson is.  He isn't going to get better.  Cholowski or Hronek can get better.  They should get leash.

Ive been kind of out of the loop with the Wings the past few years. What’s the expectation for this year? Playoffs? Win a series?

I doubt they make the playoffs.

Still clearing out the flotsam and jetsam.

Two full seasons away from (meaning 3 years from now) being solidly play-off caliber, I'd guess.

Yeah, I'm sure Yzerman has no expectations for this year beyond the evaluation and development of talent and the identification of needs (which are many). I think aiming to at least be in playoff contention next season, 20-21, is a realistic objective. Not that I expect them to actually make the playoffs as early as next season.

2 hours ago, lordstanley said:

Yeah, I'm sure Yzerman has no expectations for this year beyond the evaluation and development of talent and the identification of needs (which are many). I think aiming to at least be in playoff contention next season, 20-21, is a realistic objective. Not that I expect them to actually make the playoffs as early as next season.

'21 is going to be so great - Tigers in a pennant race, Lions defending their Super Bowl win and the Red Wings back in the Cup playoffs!!   I can't wait for it all.   Unfortunately the Pistons will still be in cap ****.

I don't have big expectations win total wise, but I think they will continue on the trend of playing very watchable hockey games. I expect what we are going to see is just more of what was beginning last season, where when the Wings best players on the ice together they are going to be able to play with anyone even, but that they  will still suffer a lot of goals against and stagnant offense further down the roster. And the goaltending is sketchy. I take progress for this season to be getting to where they are two lines and esp 4 Dmen deep instead of 1 line and 2 Dmen deep. The step after that will be the winning record.

2 hours ago, drownwithyou said:

Svechnikov opens the scoring against the Leafs tonight!

nice penalty shot.

31 minutes ago, Buddha said:

nice penalty shot.

Yeah - that was a pretty inept display by all three Wings -  but they should have lost it in the overtime anyway.

After looking at youngsters though most of the exhibition games, the Wings play Abdelkader, Glendening, Nielson, Greene, Helm, Filpula in the last tune-up tilt against the leafs. Lose 5-0.

?

xD

The Griffins are going to be stacked, Seider and Rasmussen joined Zadina, Veleno, Svechnikov, and Kaski from yesterday's send downs.  

On 9/27/2019 at 7:22 PM, Buddha said:

is it too early to think rasmussen isnt any good?

I think he can be a decent NHL contributor. Won't be a big star, but very few from his weak draft class will be.

54 minutes ago, lordstanley said:

I think he can be a decent NHL contributor. Won't be a big star, but very few from his weak draft class will be.

Ya I think he can be solid, won't be a superstar.  He looks like he still needs to add muscle to his frame, and they want him to work as a center in GR.

I think Rasmussen has a chance to develop into a 1st unit PP threat.  I think he's going to be a middle six C along with Veleno...maybe he gets you 20-25 goals every year with most of them coming from net front PP work.  I'll take it...

Team as a whole?

No playoffs this year...wild card contenders next year.  Solidly in the mix the year after that.