drownwithyou

2019 Red Wings Preseason Games Thread

I hope I don't get yelled at for making this separate from the offseason thread.  First game is tonight at 7:30 EST on Fox Sports Detroit Plus against the Blackhawks.  A few of the young guys are getting a rest after the prospects camp/tournament:

Svechnikov with an assist in his 1st pre-season game. Wings beat Hawks 5-3

Utterly ridiculous moment of the broadcast is John Keating asking a Wing to put a win in the 1st game of the PRE-SEASON "in perspective"

13 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Utterly ridiculous moment of the broadcast is John Keating asking a Wing to put a win in the 1st game of the PRE-SEASON "in perspective"

I sadly missed this hahaha!

Rasmussen had a nice net front play for his goal, I think Svech got his assist on the play

1 hour ago, drownwithyou said:

Rasmussen had a nice net front play for his goal, I think Svech got his assist on the play

4 hours ago, lordstanley said:

Can't tell if Rasmussen banked it off Dahlstrom on purpose or just lost the handle but credit for sticking in front of the net either way.

thoughts on the first two preseason games?  seider looks big, but nowhere near ready to play.

zadina zooms around a lot.  veleno looked bigger than i thought he would.

2 hours ago, Buddha said:

seider looks big, but nowhere near ready to play.

I wasn't able to watch but I've read the exact opposite of this a lot of places. 

Stolen from a reddit comment: He was Detroit's best possession player at 5v5 tonight, the team really struggled with possession, and had a 36.9% Corsi. However, Seider had a 54.05% Corsi, which was 30.65% relative to the rest of the team. The craziest thing? He played more minutes than any other Red Wings skater at 5v5, with 18:07 minutes.

https://www.naturalstattrick.com/game.php?season=20192020&game=10030&view=limited 

7 hours ago, drownwithyou said:

I wasn't able to watch but I've read the exact opposite of this a lot of places. 

Stolen from a reddit comment: He was Detroit's best possession player at 5v5 tonight, the team really struggled with possession, and had a 36.9% Corsi. However, Seider had a 54.05% Corsi, which was 30.65% relative to the rest of the team. The craziest thing? He played more minutes than any other Red Wings skater at 5v5, with 18:07 minutes.

https://www.naturalstattrick.com/game.php?season=20192020&game=10030&view=limited 

i wouldnt trust my opinion on hockey.  i dont really know.

11 hours ago, drownwithyou said:

Encouraging notes about Seider’s performance. 

Also good to see Rasmussen parked in Holmstrom’s old space. 

15 hours ago, Buddha said:

i wouldnt trust my opinion on hockey.  i dont really know.

My reply came across way more hostile than I intended reading it back, my bad!

I really wish I could have seen his play myself at the end of the day, but the numbers seem encouraging

jack hughes looks really good.

seider looked big and sort of lumbering.  a stay at home defenseman guy.  but like i said, i dont really know anything about hockey.

I don’t think I know much about hockey either. That said, from what I have seen of Seider so far it could be interpreted as lumbering, or maybe calm and deliberative. He seemed to me to have control of the puck and made smart decisions most of the time. Too many recent Wings defensemen have rushed things resulting in bad turnovers. Time will tell, but I like him so far.

Mantha and Hronek with 3rd period goals but the Wings fall to the Islanders 4-3 in OT. Frans Nielsen leaves the game with what apparently is a minor injury.

I think it is pretty hard to judge a defenseman on TV because positioning / pace / reading the play are so important and much of the time that is off screen.

12 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

I think it is pretty hard to judge a defenseman on TV because positioning / pace / reading the play are so important and much of the time that is off screen.

When television went to 16:9 I though it would be really fantastic for Hockey, and it has been, but I still wish they would show more of the ice more often than they do for just that reason.

I know that the young D men are probably too mistake prone and inexperienced to make the team out of the gate, but it still such an improvement to see defensemen with the kind of closing speed that we just haven't seeing out of Kronwall, Ericsson, Witkowski et al in recent yrs.

Pengs didn't bring the A team, but a nice game for Wings. Larkin, Bertuzzi and Mantha are gonna be fun to watch again this year.

I definitely noticed Seider making a few mistakes the last couple of games, often I think he's trying to do too much (I think it was a late tying goal two games ago he tried to play goalie blocking a shot in the slot and left his man who ultimately scored).  I think he still seems to be one of their better defensemen on the ice no matter who else is in the lineup.  I'm also mildly surprised about the lumbering comments here as he seems to have fantastic edge work and skating from what I've seen.  He's definitely patient with the puck, which I personally want from the defensemen and you don't often see with young guys.  He also seems to have decent instincts on jumping into the play, but I know he's mentioned he tailors his game to the teams he's on (with the mens league in Germany he was stay at home, opened up his game against kids his age). 

So far I'm really liking what I see from him.

5 minutes ago, drownwithyou said:

I definitely noticed Seider making a few mistakes ...

So far I'm really liking what I see from him.

Yeah - he got schooled on the one goal last night, but I think he looks pretty amazing so far for an 18r old. Now granted, he wasn't going against Pittsburgh's best, but I thought the whole team played a decent defensive game despite playing without a single one of their experienced D men. Blashill trying to revise Scotty's mantra that there is no such thing as a good young defenseman.

Caught the start of the Blues game on NBCSN right now, I like the Wings' new power play set up/strategy.  Work the puck down low to someone on the goal line, look to set up a lot of cross slot passes for shots.

In the games I've seen they have looked pretty good, though not much of the 'old' defense core has played in the games I've seen. DeKeyser is out there tonight.

And of course as soon as I say that they give up kinda of bad goal getting back to full strength.

Wings making it look easy through the end of the 2nd

Wings take the Blues 4-1. Blues had them on their heels for most of the 3rd but they did not give up a goal.

Svechnikov got some ice time but seemed mostly behind the play. Bowey could end being a steal.