Keepleyland2

9/17 @7:10 Detroit Tigers at Cleveland Indians

Adam Plutko sounds like a guy that have been on the Twins and only done well vs. the Tigers.

There’s been a change of plans for the Tigers’ road trip opener Tuesday. 

Left-hander Matthew Boyd (8-11, 4.54 ERA) will no longer start Detroit’s series opener against the Indians at Progressive Field. Manager Ron Gardenhire made the announcement in his office ahead of Monday’s series finale against the Orioles at Comerica Park, saying Boyd will miss a number of days due to a family emergency.

“That’s all the information we have today,” Gardenhire said. “He’s away with family matters.”

The Tigers’ ace is 2-2 over his last five games, spanning 30⅓ innings with a 5.34 ERA. Despite holding opponents to a .221 average in that span, he’s allowed eight home runs — four of which came in the Tigers’ 10-7 win against the American League Central-leading Twins. The Indians are currently 1½ games back of the Rays for the second wild-card spot. 

Gardenhire wouldn’t say who would start in Boyd’s place and didn’t rule out using an opener.

“We don’t know yet,” Gardenhire said.

5 minutes ago, kdog said:

I hope everyone is ok in his family.   A reminder that the players all are humans with issues too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Keepleyland2 said:

51xCH3P4u8L._SY445_.jpg
Glenn Wilson

I'll always have a warm spot for Mr. Wilson since he along with Wockenfuss brought us Bergman, Guillermo and a season of unbridled joy.   As George Kell said it best "It's magical Eli, just magical"

The Tigers are chasing history this week in Cleveland!

From the Wall Street Journal:

But even though their season has long been over, it turns out the Mariners’ most important games of 2019 are still ahead of them: a two-game series against the Houston Astros later this month that could send them into the record books of futility.

Ultimately, the Mariners’ best hope might be that another team could still beat them to the punch. The Detroit Tigers are 1-15 against one of their division rivals, the Cleveland Indians. Those teams start a three-game set on Sept. 17—a full week before the Astros visit Seattle.

rivalry.jpg

12 minutes ago, lordstanley said:

The Tigers are chasing history this week in Cleveland!

From the Wall Street Journal:

But even though their season has long been over, it turns out the Mariners’ most important games of 2019 are still ahead of them: a two-game series against the Houston Astros later this month that could send them into the record books of futility.

Ultimately, the Mariners’ best hope might be that another team could still beat them to the punch. The Detroit Tigers are 1-15 against one of their division rivals, the Cleveland Indians. Those teams start a three-game set on Sept. 17—a full week before the Astros visit Seattle.

rivalry.jpg

This is a sad stat.

But, on the flip side, the Tigers have never lost a playoff series to the Yankees.

Cokie Roberts is dead. Nothing to do with the Tigers, except my first thought when I heard the news is that she looked younger at 75 than Sparky did at 45.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Casimir said:

This is a sad stat.

But, on the flip side, the Tigers have never lost a playoff series to the Yankees.

Just realized the Mariners haven't even made the playoffs since their 116-win season of 2001.

2 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Glenn Wilson looked like a better player than he turned out to be. Guess the Phillies thought so too.

I expected him to be a star.  

4 hours ago, LooseGoose said:

I hope everyone is ok in his family.   A reminder that the players all are humans with issues too.

Yes .. more and more I am trying to remember that .. and including not only the MLB players ..but also the MiLB players ..as well as the owner(s), executives, managers, coaches, ground crews, announcers, writers, ..etc etc ..except for maybe Lynn Henning (...kidding!.)

btw:  Because of Chace Numata's untimely death and ultimate unselfish generosity ..I am now seriously (heartfully) considering donating parts of my body after death.  Big decision ..really!

1 hour ago, Tigrrfan said:

Yes .. more and more I am trying to remember that .. and including not only the MLB players ..but also the MiLB players ..as well as the owner(s), executives, managers, coaches, ground crews, announcers, writers, ..etc etc ..except for maybe Lynn Henning (...kidding!.)

btw:  Because of Chace Numata's untimely death and ultimate unselfish generosity ..I am now seriously (heartfully) considering donating parts of my body after death.  Big decision ..really!

Lynn and I disagree on many, many things but I've found he's a fine fellow to have a civil conversation with and more than that he's very willing to do so with almost anyone.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Casimir said:

This is a sad stat.

Yankee tears are the most delicious

4 hours ago, lordstanley said:

Just realized the Mariners haven't even made the playoffs since their 116-win season of 2001.

Wow, that is crazy.

1 hour ago, LooseGoose said:

Lynn and I disagree on many, many things but I've found he's a fine fellow to have a civil conversation with and more than that he's very willing to do so with almost anyone.

He’s willing to listen to you and he’s also willing to explain why he disagrees. He thinks people who disagree with him are worth talking to.  This is not something you can take for granted because things don't always work out this way with a lot of people. 

7 hours ago, tiger337 said:

I expected him to be a star.  

Yup - I was really bummed when they traded him.

Willie turned out OK though, and Bergman did turn into the quintessential Tiger.

I don’t know why I am watching this game.  All the shots of smiling Cleveland Indian ballplayers annoy me. They’re glad to be playing this team, because it might get them closer to the wildcard. I miss those times when our team had smiles that were deserved smiles.