Motor City Sonics

Are you done with Harbaugh yet?

On Monday, September 16, 2019 at 9:24 AM, Motor City Sonics said:

One of the things we hear about Harbaugh, is "if he leaves,  what are you going to do?" like he's the end of the line of coaches and there can't be anyone better ever.    

Sometimes all the elements seem to be perfect and it doesn't work  (Michigan native and successful coach Steve Mariucci coming to the Lions was supposed to be perfect, it was a disaster).      

Is going 10-3 and 9-4 the real goal for Michigan, as long as they make money?    Maybe it is.   But 2-7 vs. the Big 3 rivals,  1-3 in Bowl Games and 0-4 vs. Ohio State with 0 trips to Indy (that co-champs thing is pathetic) is not what anyone expected and would have probably gotten many other coaches fired.  

As far as nobody else being able to follow up King Jim, there's a guy 6 miles up the road that has turned Eastern Michigan into a competitive team - and that's a massive task there.   I think Dantonio is going to retire at the end of this season (why he didn't fire his friends) and Michigan State might look into hiring Chris Creighton.    The MAC has produced some really good coaches who went on to greater success (Urban Meyer, Brian Kelly, Nick Saban, Bo Schembechler, Jim Tressel).      Eastern Michigan is the hardest football coaching job in the country - no regional fanbase, always overshadowed, not the greatest facilities).  I think Creighton is really good, even though he isn't the biggest name   Maybe that's the kind of thing Michigan needs, but we're at a point now where the kids coming into the program were 2 years old the last time Michigan won the Big Ten and 4 when they played the big 1 vs 2 game at OSU in 2006.  They have no memory of Michigan being this great championship program and Michigan needs to stop living in the past.   

Of course maybe I love Harbaugh again if they go up to Madison and beat the snot out of the Badgers, but I don't expect that at all.   

I'm way past Harbaugh -- this Michigan alum wanted him gone long before the debacle that has been the last four games.  His inarticulate-quirky-nutjob-winning-ugly-and-losing-every-big-game routine wore thin quite a while back.

Two weeks ago, I actually found myself rooting for Army to win  -- I wanted them to make that field goal in regulation -- because I'm so sick of Wacky Khaki and his godawful "coordinators."  Broom this band of fools.  And as for "What are you going to do" when he's gone? -- the answer is "Get someone better," which should not be difficult.  

12 hours ago, six-hopper said:

I'm way past Harbaugh -- this Michigan alum wanted him gone long before the debacle that has been the last four games.  His inarticulate-quirky-nutjob-winning-ugly-and-losing-every-big-game routine wore thin quite a while back.

Two weeks ago, I actually found myself rooting for Army to win  -- I wanted them to make that field goal in regulation -- because I'm so sick of Wacky Khaki and his godawful "coordinators."  Broom this band of fools.  And as for "What are you going to do" when he's gone? -- the answer is "Get someone better," which should not be difficult.  

I was pretty much done after the Ohio State game.   That was humiliating.   This team has been in a fog since the game before that when Indiana gave OSU the blueprint for beating Michigan.     Don Brown is totally overrated too.   Congrats on beating up on the weak teams, Don.    

Yet this program is STILL arrogant.   

Harbaugh is...sadly...becoming a joke

A name to consider...but you'll probably never get him to leave his current job...is Dave Clawson from Wake Forest.  He's built sustainable winning programs at every level he's coached and he's coached in places with high academic standards.  He rebuilt my alma mater,  Bowling Green after Urban's sucessor, Gregg Brandon turned it into a dumpster fire.  He's extremely methodical, very organized and NOT into theatrics.  His record at Wake is so so...but it's Wake frigging Forest.  It took him a couple of years to get the talent in place, but they're sitting at 4-0.

He's taken Wake to three straight bowl games and has them at 4-0.  They love him down there to the point that he was given an eight year contract extension last spring... that job is a perfect fit for him, but you never know what a real challenge might motivate a man to do.

Matt Campbell is another guy I'd look at...like Clawson he's a strong recruiter.

Hot interwebz rumor of the day is that DPJ and Black have decided not to play again.  Supposedly originated on the Rivals site. I doubt it's true but if it is then the wheels are coming off all around.....

If they lose this game to Iowa on Saturday, I think it's over.

We hear about how Harbaugh was the QB-Whisperer...........maybe Andrew Luck was the Coach-Whisperer.      Maybe Colin Kaepernick was lighting in a bottle.     

UM football is soft, and has been since the end of the Carr era.  The program has lost the mental and physical toughness that Bo instilled.  Harbaugh himself has lost his edge since he has fired, and has become complacent to a degree.

Until UM cures itself of its inbred culture (Hoke, Harbaugh, Howard, etc), its not going to be competitively relevant on a national level.

I take back all the bad things I've said about Harbaugh.  He has built a team that is clearly better than Illinois and Rutgers.  What more can I ask for?