Jump to content

Keepleyland2

9/8 Detroit Lions at Arizona Cardinals

Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Same post as Tater, but I don't make a Germaine Crowell reference.

I feel shame.

I was 15 at the time and still remember my dad jumping off the couch and yelling the question out "WHAT THE **** DID THAT MORON JUST DO?" when Crowell cut back in bounds. Watching football with my dad and his brother-in-law Gary is an experience because they're either at a 0 or dialed up to 10.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Germaine Crowell had 9 receptions, 125 yards and a touchdown too in 2001 against the Vikings. A blunder like that pretty much erases everything positive you did that day.

So because he made one mistake, he's not Golden Tate? 95% of the game, he did as well as can be expected and then some. One mistake which really didn't cost them the game doesn't erase the positive he did.

And damn, why did you have to remind me of that Crowell game? I tried to block that out of memory for good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, NYLion said:

So because he made one mistake, he's not Golden Tate? 95% of the game, he did as well as can be expected and then some. One mistake which really didn't cost them the game doesn't erase the positive he did.

It shouldn't persay erase everything he did, but you know how fans work and it will.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

It is really frustrating because a number of players had really solid games (like Amendola) and a series of miscues basically makes it moot.

Yeah, that was my point about Amendola. He had a great game. But with a late chance to move the ball down the field, he forgot that his job was to get out of bounds.

Decker, Agnew, the coaching staff, had all failed to do their jobs in some way. Still, had Amendola done his job and gotten out of bounds, Stafford would have had one (two?) more chances to do his job, which is to throw darts at the end of the game. 

Though Amendola has a great game, and may well produce at the same level as Tate, he does not have Tate’s elusiveness or playmaking ability. I would not have been as frustrated with Tate for staying in bounds, because Tate has demonstrated that he has the ability to break a play like that. Not Amendola. In that situation, you lean on a guy like Tate to beat one tackler, if there is green on the other side. But you want Amendola to get to the sideline. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

It shouldn't persay erase everything he did, but you know how fans work and it will.

That I would agree with but it doesn't mean they're right.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

We don't have to worry what Tate would have done since he is suspended and wouldn't have played anyways.

Missing the point, dude. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would wager Crowell's blunder was worse. IIRC, the catch would've put the Lions in FG range or striking distance of the end zone but it ended the game. Amendola's blunder forced the Lions to use a timeout. It didn't lose the game. It's still baffling coming from a vet like Amendola.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Jason_R said:

Yeah, that was my point about Amendola. He had a great game. But with a late chance to move the ball down the field, he forgot that his job was to get out of bounds.

Decker, Agnew, the coaching staff, had all failed to do their jobs in some way. Still, had Amendola done his job and gotten out of bounds, Stafford would have had one (two?) more chances to do his job, which is to throw darts at the end of the game. 

Though Amendola has a great game, and may well produce at the same level as Tate, he does not have Tate’s elusiveness or playmaking ability. I would not have been as frustrated with Tate for staying in bounds, because Tate has demonstrated that he has the ability to break a play like that. Not Amendola. In that situation, you lean on a guy like Tate to beat one tackler, if there is green on the other side. But you want Amendola to get to the sideline. 

The TD was very Tate-like.

In any event, the Lions don't need him to be Tate because they now have a tight end who can dominate in the slot. They just need Amendola to be a chain mover, what he did yesterday was a bonus. I don't think the brain fart was egregious enough to offset the good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bottom line is that while Patricia is a very good defensive schemer, his antiquated game management philosophy will continue to hinder the team. He overpunts and continuously thinks you can win the game by bleeding clock instead of attacking aggressively.  He plays scared and will continue to blow games.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, kdog said:

Bottom line is that while Patricia is a very good defensive schemer, his antiquated game management philosophy will continue to hinder the team. He overpunts and continuously thinks you can win the game by bleeding clock instead of attacking aggressively.  He plays scared and will continue to blow games.   

For all the criticism we leveled at Caldwell for being "too conservative", taking his foot off the gas at end of games, and making bad in-game decisions, Patricia really isn't any better at this point. His conservative play not to lose approach in the 2nd half is also very reminiscent of Lloyd Carr coached games at Michigan.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, NYLion said:

The TD was very Tate-like.

In any event, the Lions don't need him to be Tate because they now have a tight end who can dominate in the slot. They just need Amendola to be a chain mover, what he did yesterday was a bonus. I don't think the brain fart was egregious enough to offset the good.

I also don’t want his bad decision to outweigh the great game he had. 

And that is my point... the Lions don’t need him to be Tate. 

My point is that on a team like the Lions, where there are so many weak links, even a player like Amendola, who has been well coached, can try to do too much. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Irony being that Arizona being conservative may be the reason they tied. If they don't convert either of the two 4th downs everyone wanted them to go for, they probably lose this game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Probably mentioned in the thread already, but I haven't the heart to read through it all.

The radio broadcasting tandem is pretty bad.

I think Lomas is the better of the two in his role, and I don't know as I'd say he is good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would like to go back and retract my use of the word bum in-regards to Matt Stafford yesterday. Yes, I disagree with his decision to stop the clock in OT. However, all-in-all he was not close to being the reason for their loss yesterday. In-fact, for three quarters of football he had a really good game and put up solid numbers. It is just a shame that a good game by Stafford was wasted by coaching blunders and mental mistakes from his teammates.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

See also Hockenson, Amendola, Bevell, etc.

SOL would have found a way to lose a game they led by 18 in the 4th. 

New and improved Lions found a way to tie it. 

Progress!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Forum Statistics

    • Total Topics
      96,668
    • Total Posts
      2,919,869
  • Who's Online (See full list)

  • Upcoming Events

    No upcoming events found
×
×
  • Create New...