Keepleyland2

9/8 Detroit Lions at Arizona Cardinals

Just now, Motown Bombers said:

What risk would there have been if they kneeled it on 3rd down?

I never said I wanted them to kneel on 3rd down, why do you keep saying this? I'm saying that they should have let the clock run out on 2nd down after the sack instead of spiking it. I've been saying that same thing (many times) since the beginning.

Just now, NYLion said:

I never said I wanted them to kneel on 3rd down, why do you keep saying this? I'm saying that they should have let the clock run out on 2nd down after the sack instead of spiking it. I've been saying that same thing (many times) since the beginning.

You do know how a kneel down works right? I find this so bizzare. You realize they could have run the clock out on 3rd down? Spiking gave them the option of going for it on 3rd or running out the clock. The issue is the 3rd down call. By not spiking, you give your team no options. 

2 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

One thing for sure, it's going to be a big loss if Decker still isn't right this year.  

I'll still give him a chance. Jones is one of the better pass rushers in the league but Decker hasn't been right since his rookie year. 

8 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

I find Lion's logic and complaint so befuddling. I can't help myself. 

Doesn't this loss bother you in the slightest?

3 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

You do know how a kneel down works right? I find this so bizzare. You realize they could have run the clock out on 3rd down? Spiking gave them the option of going for it on 3rd or running out the clock. The issue is the 3rd down call. By not spiking, you give your team no options. 

The issue is I'm telling you that I wanted them to run out the clock after the sack instead of scrambling to spike it and you keep mentioning 3rd down. I'm saying there was no option at that point, the game was effectively over when you're on your own 15 after a sack with the clock ticking towards 10 seconds and no timeouts. I didn't like them taking the risk of running another play, I wanted it to end after the sack.  I don't care about kneel downs, never said anything about a kneel down.

2 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

I'll still give him a chance. Jones is one of the better pass rushers in the league but Decker hasn't been right since his rookie year. 

Suggs is old as dirt and he abused Decker too.  What's Khalil Mack going to do to us?

Just now, NYLion said:

The issue is I'm telling you that I wanted them to run out the clock after the sack instead of scrambling to spike it and you keep mentioning 3rd down. I'm saying there was no option at that point, the game was effectively over when you're on your own 15 after a sack with the clock ticking towards 10 seconds and no timeouts. I didn't like them taking the risk of running another play, I wanted it to end after the sack.

Fine. They could have called a kneel down after they spiked it. They still could have run out the clock after spiking the ball. Spiking the ball didn't prevent them from running out the clock. Spiking the ball didn't force them to run the play they did on third down. You really think there is a risk in kneeling on 3rd down? The issue is the call on 3rd down, not the spiking of the ball on 2nd down. 

3 minutes ago, Buddha said:

Suggs is old as dirt and he abused Decker too.  What's Khalil Mack going to do to us?

We'll see. Not going to write Decker off after one game but it didn't look good. I wonder if it has to do with a new offense and blocking scheme? 

1 minute ago, Motown Bombers said:

Fine. They could have called a kneel down after they spiked it. They still could have run out the clock after spiking the ball. Spiking the ball didn't prevent them from running out the clock. Spiking the ball didn't force them to run the play they did on third down. You really think there is a risk in kneeling on 3rd down? The issue is the call on 3rd down, not the spiking of the ball on 2nd down. 

Or they could just have not spiked it all and let the last 10 seconds run off.

We'll see. Not going to write Decker off after one game but it didn't look good. I wonder if it has to do with a new offense and blocking scheme? 

He wasn't good last year either. It's a problem.

Just now, NYLion said:

Or they could just have not spiked it all and let the last 10 seconds run off.

Or they could have spiked it and gave themselves the option of going for it or running out the clock. 

Decker was good as a rookie and hasn't been good since.  

It's only one game, but his career arc is not promising.  He's like a homeless man's Jeff Backus at this point.  

But if he plays like this all year they are screwed.  There is no backup plan.

And equally important is that the rest of the offensive line didn't set the world on fire either.  

1 minute ago, Motown Bombers said:

Or they could have spiked it and gave themselves the option of going for it or running out the clock. 

Why would they run out the clock after spiking it? The whole point of spiking it is to run another play.

Just now, Buddha said:

Decker was good as a rookie and hasn't been good since.  

It's only one game, but his career arc is not promising.  He's like a homeless man's Jeff Backus at this point.  

But if he plays like this all year they are screwed.  There is no backup plan.

And equally important is that the rest of the offensive line didn't set the world on fire either.  

He hasn't been the same since the injury. We'll see. They really have no choice. 

And blocking scheme?  He was getting beat one on one by whomever lined up against him.  What does scheme have to do with that?  At some point you tell your left tackle to block the guy while your QB drops back to pass.  They eventually gave up and put a TE over there to help his sorry *** and he STILL GOT HOLDING PENALTIES.

He hasn't been the same since the injury. We'll see. They really have no choice. 

That was years ago.  If that's the excuse then he'll never recover.

1 minute ago, NYLion said:

Why would they run out the clock after spiking it? The whole point of spiking it is to run another play.

It gives them time to assess whether it is worth going for it. As soon as Stafford hit the ground, he had to make the decision to spike. He doesn't have time to look at the clock and field position. After he spikes, you can decide whether it is worth trying to go for it. The Lions coaching staff decided to go for it.

1 minute ago, Buddha said:

That was years ago.  If that's the excuse then he'll never recover.

I'm not saying it's an excuse but he may be damaged goods. That injury could have derailed his career. I wonder if they consider moving him to RT next year and cut ties with Wagner?

3 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

It gives them time to assess whether it is worth going for it. As soon as Stafford hit the ground, he had to make the decision to spike. He doesn't have time to look at the clock and field position. After he spikes, you can decide whether it is worth trying to go for it. The Lions coaching staff decided to go for it.

QBs should always be aware of clock and field position. In the heat of the moment, instinct should kick in to make the right decision. IMO, the right decision was to let the clock run out because the risk outweighed the reward of running another play backed up near their own end zone with such little time left and no timeouts. We disagree on this which is fine.

Anyway, Stafford did plenty enough to win the game. It's not his fault that the game ended in a tie.

I'm not saying it's an excuse but he may be damaged goods. That injury could have derailed his career. I wonder if they consider moving him to RT next year and cut ties with Wagner?

Wagner is gone after next season, IMO.  Too old and too expensive.  That said, if they have to replace Decker AND Wagner, maybe they keep Wagner around?

Aren't you at all disappointed in this game?  They have the Chargers, Eagles, Chiefs, and Packers coming up and they just blew the easiest game on their schedule.  Aren't you the least bit concerned?

Just now, Buddha said:

Wagner is gone after next season, IMO.  Too old and too expensive.  That said, if they have to replace Decker AND Wagner, maybe they keep Wagner around?

Aren't you at all disappointed in this game?  They have the Chargers, Eagles, Chiefs, and Packers coming up and they just blew the easiest game on their schedule.  Aren't you the least bit concerned?

The Chargers blew a 24-9 lead to the Colts and their backup QB. I don't feel they are some unbeatable team. I haven't said Decker wasn't bad but what can you do about it? There's no replacement on the team. The Eagles and Packers didn't look perfect either.The Chiefs will probably be a bloodbath. 

5 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

and of course we let a perfectly serviceable RT go in Riley Rieff since Decker was the future.....

4 minutes ago, NYLion said:

QBs should always be aware of clock and field position. In the heat of the moment, instinct should kick in to make the right decision. IMO, the right decision was to let the clock run out because the risk outweighed the reward of running another play backed up near their own end zone with such little time left and no timeouts. We disagree on this which is fine.

But your logic doesn't make sense. You would probably complain if Stafford let the clock run and gave his team no choice. Apparently the coaching staff agreed with his decision as they decided to go for it on 3rd down. 

1 minute ago, Gehringer_2 said:

and of course we let a perfectly serviceable RT go in Riley Rieff since Decker was the future.....

You wanted to pay Rieff LT money to be a RT? Rieff got more money than Wagner.