Keepleyland2

9/8 Detroit Lions at Arizona Cardinals

Just now, NYLion said:

You saw what happened when he tried to win, he threw a 20 yard pass out of desperation almost picked off that would have got them nowhere near field goal range. He just got sacked and the clock was running with 10 seconds left. You let the clock run out at that point and take the tie. I'm all for being aggressive but at that point, the chances of winning were over.

Fine, then Patricia should have had him take a knee. It's so stupid not to spike it and not give yourself a chance to decide what you want to do. 

40 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

This game was all about the 4th quarter meltdown primarily from the defense. I'll see what they look like next week. Really needed a win but a tie is better than a loss. 

Oh it doesn't matter.  Patricia is in WAY over his head here.    You have a lead and the other team has no timeouts so you give them one and give them extra time?  That's pretty basic there.   You don't give them extra time.     

Before Patricia, the Lions would have made just enough mistakes to lose. Now they make just enough mistakes to tie. 

Who else hopes Quinn is calling Washington about Trent Williams?

52 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

This game was all about the 4th quarter meltdown primarily from the defense. I'll see what they look like next week. Really needed a win but a tie is better than a loss. 

Yeah , this is the thing. The difference in Murray between when he was ineffective to when he was suddenly the next coming was that the Lion defensive pressure pretty much petered out. How many sacks/pressures in the 4th or OT? So much for the vaunted D-line. And not only were they not pressuring Murray, they were giving up 5-6 yrds on the ground on 1st down.

16 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Oh it doesn't matter.  Patricia is in WAY over his head here.    You have a lead and the other team has no timeouts so you give them one and give them extra time?  That's pretty basic there.   You don't give them extra time.     

Plus he burned 2 TOs he could have used to get down the field in the OT for a winning FG. Just crazy.

32 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Fine, then Patricia should have had him take a knee. It's so stupid not to spike it and not give yourself a chance to decide what you want to do. 

Not take a knee, just let the clock run out.  I don't see any upside to trying a play that is a one in a million shot and has a better chance of being intercepted due to desperation (which almost happened actually) than getting them in field goal range. Surely you know this. It wasn't the main reason why they blew this game but it was one in a long line of mental errors that the team had.

5 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Yeah , this is the thing. The difference in Murray between when he was ineffective to when he was suddenly the next coming was that the Lion defensive pressure pretty much petered out. How many sacks/pressures in the 4th or OT? So much for the vaunted D-line. And not only were they not pressuring Murray, they were giving up 5-6 yrds on the ground on 1st down.

Murray is not the type you just blitz. I thought for the most part they did well. They applied pressure but kept him contained. 

1 minute ago, NYLion said:

Not take a knee, just let the clock run out.  I don't see any upside to trying a play that is a one in a million shot and has a better chance of being intercepted due to desperation (which almost happened actually) than getting them in field goal range. Surely you know this.

Ok run out the clock on 3rd down. Stafford spiking the ball on 2nd down didn't prevent them from just running out the clock. Now you're moving the goalposts. First Stafford was so horrible for spiking the ball on 2nd down, and then when it is pointed out they could have just run the clock out on 3rd down, the argument changes. Personally, I would've split Hockenson out wide and chucked a jump ball 40 yards down field and see if he came down with it. If he does, you have a shot at a hail mary. If he doesn't, you do what they did and run out the clock on 4th down. 

I thought the other big fail was the play call after the inadvertent time-out. Whatever that was supposed to be it looked like a play that was either pretty busted or had no second or third options.

5 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Murray is not the type you just blitz. I thought for the most part they did well. They applied pressure but kept him contained. 

That is true, but  they had him under a lot more pressure in the 1st half than in the second. He had time to make 'dear diary' entries on a lot of his 2nd half drops.

1 minute ago, Gehringer_2 said:

That is true, but  they had him under a lot more pressure in the 1st half than in the second. He had time to make 'dear diary' entries on a lot of his 2nd half drops.

I really thought they played well at least the first 2.5 quarters. They made him run around but didn't allow him to run for positive yards. You blitz him and don't get there and he's running loose down the field. I expect to see them be more aggressive against Philip Rivers because he sure as **** won't be running anywhere. 

8 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Ok run out the clock on 3rd down. Stafford spiking the ball on 2nd down didn't prevent them from just running out the clock. Now you're moving the goalposts. First Stafford was so horrible for spiking the ball on 2nd down, and then when it is pointed out they could have just run the clock out on 3rd down, the argument changes. Personally, I would've split Hockenson out wide and chucked a jump ball 40 yards down field and see if he came down with it. If he does, you have a shot at a hail mary. If he doesn't, you do what they did and run out the clock on 4th down. 

When a QB spikes the ball, that stops the clock. Him spiking the ball prevented the clock from running out which is what he should have done IMO because it was an extremely low percentage play to chuck a ball 50 yards from your own 15 which wouldn't have mattered even if they caught the hail mary because the clock would have run out anyway because of no timeouts. There's no moving goal posts, I haven't moved on my stance since the beginning of the argument.

In any event, we'll just agree to disagree. However anyone slices it, this was just another in a long line of embarrassing Lions games. Even the biggest homers can't spin this one.

I have few complaints about Stafford overall in this game.

But I didn't like the set of downs when they had it 1st and 10 at Arizona's 19 to win the game. Unless you're planning to use all 4 downs, don't run it on 2nd and 10, it was bound to leave an all or nothing 3rd down situation.

28 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Lost in all this is that Hockenson had one of the greatest debuts apparently for a TE. 

This is what we should be talking about, but the Lions gonna Lion.

29 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Lost in all this is that Hockenson had one of the greatest debuts apparently for a TE. 

Reminds me of the same night Steve Yzerman scored his 50th goal for the first time,   Bob Probert got all the attention for getting caught with a cocaine grinder in his underwear.   

Just now, NYLion said:

When a QB spikes the ball, that stops the clock. Him spiking the ball prevented the clock from running out which is what he should have done IMO because it was an extremely low percentage play to chuck a ball 50 yards from your own 15 which wouldn't have mattered even if they caught the hail mary because the clock would have run out anyway because of no timeouts.

Then take the knee on 3rd down. Give yourself a chance to assess the situation. Just because he spiked it on 2nd down doesn't mean they have to run that play on 3rd down and doesn't mean they can't run the clock out on 3rd down. Not spiking it on 2nd down gives you no options and taking a knee on 3rd down accomplished the same thing. Patricia could've taken a second to evaluate and say this probably isn't going to work and call a kneel down. 

3 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Then take the knee on 3rd down. Give yourself a chance to assess the situation. Just because he spiked it on 2nd down doesn't mean they have to run that play on 3rd down and doesn't mean they can't run the clock out on 3rd down. Not spiking it on 2nd down gives you no options and taking a knee on 3rd down accomplished the same thing. Patricia could've taken a second to evaluate and say this probably isn't going to work and call a kneel down. 

My point is that they really didn't have any realistic options being that backed up with so few seconds left and no timeouts. If they were out near the 30-40 yard line then of course you spike the ball and reassess but when you get sacked nearing 10 seconds left from your own 15, you take your medicine and settle for the tie.  Either way, it didn't affect the outcome but it almost led to a loss when Stafford almost got picked off on the next play which actually strengthens my argument that they should have let the clock run out.

Just now, NYLion said:

My point is that they really didn't have any realistic options being that backed up with so few seconds left and no timeouts. If they were out near the 30-40 yard line then of course you spike the ball and reassess but when you get sacked nearing 10 seconds left from your own 15, you take your medicine and settle for the tie.  Either way, it didn't affect the outcome but it almost led to a loss when Stafford almost got picked off on the next play which actually strengthens my argument that they should have let the clock run out.

Stafford spiking the ball on 2nd down didn't prevent them from running out the clock on 3rd down. It was a coaching decision to go for it on 3rd down. You said Stafford shouldn't have spiked it on 2nd. That's just stupid. They could have kneeled on 3rd down and accomplished the same thing as not spiking. As soon as Stafford got sacked, he had to immediately make the decision to spike the ball. He couldn't just sit there and assess and decide whether to run the clock out or not. After spiking it, they could have decided to just take a knee. There was absolutely nothing to lose by spiking on 2nd down. 

Like I always say - "Detroit Lions Football Game" is the greatest show in the history of television and has been for over 50 years! The unexpected plot twists, hilarity and perplexing moments are unmatched. Have your NFL Rule Book handy! I have seen nearly every episode!

SOL

:alien:

7 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Stafford spiking the ball on 2nd down didn't prevent them from running out the clock on 3rd down. It was a coaching decision to go for it on 3rd down. You said Stafford shouldn't have spiked it on 2nd. That's just stupid. They could have kneeled on 3rd down and accomplished the same thing as not spiking. As soon as Stafford got sacked, he had to immediately make the decision to spike the ball. He couldn't just sit there and assess and decide whether to run the clock out or not. After spiking it, they could have decided to just take a knee. There was absolutely nothing to lose by spiking on 2nd down. 

We're going nowhere with this because you're not actually reading what I'm posting. I'm saying that they shouldn't have even lined up after the sack, don't even let it get to the next play. Again, just let the clock run out at that point.

Just now, NYLion said:

We're going nowhere with this because you're not actually reading what I'm posting. I'm saying that they shouldn't have even lined up after the sack, don't even let it get to the next play. Again, just let the clock run out at that point.

But they could have done that on 3rd down. Why not spike it on 2nd down and give yourself time to decide if you should go for it on 3rd down? There was nothing to lose. You're not reading what I'm posting. What would the difference be between spiking on 2nd down and kneeling on 3rd down vs not spiking on 2nd down?