Keepleyland2

9/8 Detroit Lions at Arizona Cardinals

4 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Matt Stafford tired giving the game away too. What a bum.

Yeah.  An incomplete pass on that fourth down with five seconds to go would probably have left time on the clock for the Cardinals to kick a field goal.  Only the Lions would have run that play.  Rocket science in action.

1 minute ago, Gehringer_2 said:

that should take care of my Lion fix for the season. I can go back to ignoring them now......

You have to admit that the beginning of last year when they had a pick 6 on like the first play of the game and then proceeded to get blown out by the Jets was worse than this.   This at least featured the bizarre.

This game was all about the 4th quarter meltdown primarily from the defense. I'll see what they look like next week. Really needed a win but a tie is better than a loss. 

15 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Why would Stafford not spike the ball?

Because they had the ball on their own 15 with about 10 seconds left and it was a 3rd and forever. Just take the tie at that point instead of chasing an impossible win. There was nothing to be gained by doing that. Common sense really

Our $30 million dollar investment needlessly spiked the football to stop the clock. I tried to give him credit for a very good first half of football. I really tried to stay positive today because he did look very good in that first half. But he did not look good in the 4th quarter and at the end of this game.

Just now, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Our $30 million dollar investment needlessly spiked the football to stop the clock. I tried to give him credit for a very good first half of football. I really tried to stay positive today because he did look very good in that first half. But he did not look good in the 4th quarter and at the end of this game.

He's not the one who called the timeout. I guess I can't fault our $30 million QB for trying to win the game. You would be complaining if he just let the clock run out. 

Once he got sacked they should’ve just taken the tie.   

I had written this one off as one of those horrible all-time Lion losses. I was sure they’d blown it a couple of times in OT.  In a weird way, I’m actually kind of happy with the tie right now.   

2 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

Once he got sacked they should’ve just taken the tie.   

I had written this one off as one of those horrible all-time Lion losses. I was sure they’d blown it a couple of times in OT.  In a weird way, I’m actually kind of happy with the tie right now.   

And they did. Guess I would rather try for the win. All the complaining about not being aggressive and now complaining at being aggressive. Not sure how someone can watch this game and blame Stafford, but such is the life of an NFL QB. 

6 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

He's not the one who called the timeout. I guess I can't fault our $30 million QB for trying to win the game. You would be complaining if he just let the clock run out. 

It made no sense going for the win on a 3rd and long 50 yards from field goal range with 10 seconds left. You're just being an apologist now. There's no basis for your argument.

Just now, Motown Bombers said:

BTW, Stafford makes $27 million which is 9th in the NFL and will surely be passed by Mahomes and Dak soon. 

His cap hit is $29.5 million.

3 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

He would complain if Stafford said the hellll with it and demands a trade to the Patriots, where he fills in for a washed up Brady and wins the next 5 championships. The entire Detroit Lions organization has stunk for generations. The worst run organization in all of sports.

3 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

And they did. Guess I would rather try for the win. All the complaining about not being aggressive and now complaining at being aggressive. Not sure how someone can watch this game and blame Stafford, but such is the life of an NFL QB. 

I wanted to try for the win too when the drive started but there comes a point where the odds of doing something that causes you to lose the game are much higher than for you make a play to win it.

1 minute ago, NYLion said:

It made no sense going for the win on a 3rd and long 50 yards from field goal range with 10 seconds left. You're just being an apologist now.

You take a shot down the sideline and then try for a hook and ladder. If they really wanted to take the tie, than have him kneel or run the ball on 3rd down. 

Just now, Hongbit said:

I wanted to try for the win too when the drive started but there comes a point where the odds of doing something that causes you to lose the game are much higher than for you make a play to win it.  

Yes, this. He damn near threw a pick six as well.

1 minute ago, Hongbit said:

Fine, then take a knee or run the ball on 3rd down. There was no downside to spiking the ball on 2nd down. 

Just now, Motown Bombers said:

Fine, then take a knee or run the ball on 3rd down. There was no downside to spiking the ball on 2nd down. 

If you are going to run the ball or kneel on 3rd down then there is no upside to spiking the ball on 2nd down.

26 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

This game was all about the 4th quarter meltdown primarily from the defense. I'll see what they look like next week. Really needed a win but a tie is better than a loss. 

Especially when they miss the playoffs by .5 game, it would be the Lions way.

Just now, sagnam said:

If you are going to run the ball or kneel on 3rd down then there is no upside to spiking the ball on 2nd down.

It gives you time to decide if you want to go for it on 3rd or just run out the clock. It's stupid to not spike the ball and give yourself no options. 

4 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

You take a shot down the sideline and then try for a hook and ladder. If they really wanted to take the tie, than have him kneel or run the ball on 3rd down. 

You saw what happened when he tried to win, he threw a 20 yard pass out of desperation almost picked off that would have got them nowhere near field goal range. He just got sacked and the clock was running with 10 seconds left. You let the clock run out at that point and take the tie. I'm all for being aggressive but at that point, the chances of winning were over.