Tigers at A's

Game 141

42-98

Remember him?

51yQnfJM1PL.jpg
Billy Beane

Years with Detroit: 1988

Tigers highlights: A hit and a run on April 29, 1988 against Seattle

You may remember him from: New York Mets, Minnesota Twins, running the Oakland A's

Baseball Reference Link and Stats:

Beane.jpg

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, LooseGoose said:

JZ keeps the streak alive - we may not make it to 100 losses!!!

1 more win and the max losses is 119. 

I'm rooting for 2 more wins then everything else is gravy 

Folks may remember Billy Beane as the player the Tigers traded Balvino Gálvez for.

I remember Billy Beane was not to be confused with Billy Bean on the same 1988 Tiger roster.

Both Billy's would take turns batting clean up for the current Tigers.

well, that was neat. why no infield fly rule?

edit: Dan thinks because it was so far foul and that the call of infield fly is supposed to be more-or-less immediate, per the rule book.

Dan and Jim have been chuckling at the naïveté of the Oakland crowd that apparently thinks every flyball is a homer. I don’t remember lines of sight being that bad in that ballpark. 

Jim Price mentioned that he was a minor league player of the year and I looked it up and he was the Pirates minor league player of the year when he was 21 in the Carolina league. 

Most of the Tiger players in the dugout are wearing warm-up jackets or sweatshirts. It’s 65° and pretty windy with 75% humidity so it might feel chilly.

Remember when the team was surprising us early on and we were hopeful about it getting warmer because the “the bats will heat up?“ 

Is Miggy getting fatter? I didn’t think that could be possible. What’s he going to be like come spring training? Like Thor gone to seed in Avengers Endgame? 

20 minutes ago, IdahoBert said:

Jim Price mentioned that he was a minor league player of the year and I looked it up and he was the Pirates minor league player of the year when he was 21 in the Carolina league. 

Majority of below info from Wiki.

Price was originally signed by the Pittsburgh Pirates in 1960 and was listed as a top prospect in the Pirates early 1960s yearbooks. Price's best minor league season was 1963, when he hit 19 home runs and batted .311 for the Kinston Eagles of the Single-A Carolina League. For his efforts he was named the Pirates Minor League Player of the Year.

in 1995 Price was inducted inducted into the Kinston Professional Baseball Hall of Fame.

I figured all Detroit sports team - Red Wings and Tigers for sure -  probably all would be down this year, but if you had told me on New Year's Day that a woman named Bianca would give me best sports moment of 2019 I would have thought you were crazy.

1173010702.jpg

Bassett fooling the Tigers pretty badly, they are letting a lot of hittable pitches go right by, or like Dixon, swinging and missing at fastballs even near the center of the zone.

Castro has good ball instincts but is a bit of a lazy OF. A good OF gets there quickly if he can and waits for it. A sloppy OF doesn't do more than try to meet the ball, and that is what can happen.