ROMAD1

GOOD LORD BOSTON MIGHT FIRE DAVE DOMBROWSKI!!!!

1 hour ago, Tenacious D said:

I think everyone is romanticizing his time here, which was largely positive--mostly due to the owner's willingness to spend and the mandate to "win now."  And because we have very little confidence in the current GM and ownership situation.

Why does it matter the reason as long as they win? Why can't we go back to the old ways? 

8 minutes ago, bobrob2004 said:

Same reason they bought in Gardenhire in a losing situation, experience and a proven track record. On name alone, it'll bring back some of the fanbase. 

Until the 1st 3 game losing streak.   

Fair weather fans are fair weather fans, don't romanticize what "used to be" I was at plenty of games in the 70s and early 80s with oceans of empty seats.

18 minutes ago, bobrob2004 said:

Why does it matter the reason as long as they win? Why can't we go back to the old ways? 

the old ways of having a respected franchise that would play in any FA market and pay the price when it came time to lose draft picks. 

Dombrowski wins by leveraging a team's future resource base to upgrade it's current performance so he wouldn't come to Detroit now anyway because there is no material here for him to work his system with,

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Dombrowski wins by leveraging a team's future resource base to upgrade it's current performance so he wouldn't come to Detroit now anyway because there is no material here for him to work his system with,

with every dollar not spent in an Illitch Holdings parking lot there is an argument for why they need Dombrowski

12 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

the last time he came here was 2002 when the team had even less prospects than it does now.

this revisionist history on dombrowski is incorrect, imo.  im not really a DD fan, but give the man his due.  he got us miggy, granderson, verlander, scherzer, jd martinez, and two world series trips.  yeah, illitch's money helped, but so did a guy who was willing to deal two top 10 prospects for miggy, a homegrown hero for scherzer, and the foresight NOT to trade verlander (and to draft him).

give the man his due.  

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

So Dave couldn't run an office well?

EDIT: That would have been the thing I'd guess he'd have done well.

consider where that article comes from: probably the people who backstabbed him to get him fired.

i dont know if he can run a front office well or not, but im always a little skeptical about these articles that come out right after someone gets fired.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Buddha said:

consider where that article comes from: probably the people who backstabbed him to get him fired.

i dont know if he can run a front office well or not, but im always a little skeptical about these articles that come out right after someone gets fired.

Plus Boston media is a pit of vipers. 

When he first came here, he had an owner willing to spend "whatever it takes".  I don't think that's the case now.   Good old Dave wouldn't know how to do his job in Detroit now.

• Like 1

Just now, roarintiger1 said:

When he first came here, he had an owner willing to spend "whatever it takes".  I don't think that's the case now.   Good old Dave wouldn't know how to do his job in Detroit now.

I think bringing him back would be great PR.  A link to the good times and he'd be a proven executive.  He would understand that the current plan is the current plan and they would begin spending again in 2021 (after Miggy and Zimmerman leave?)

46 minutes ago, ROMAD1 said:

with every dollar not spent in an Illitch Holdings parking lot there is an argument for why they need Dombrowski

We could also hire somebody better who doesn't judge pitchers based on ERA.

10 minutes ago, ROMAD1 said:

I think bringing him back would be great PR.  A link to the good times and he'd be a proven executive.  He would understand that the current plan is the current plan and they would begin spending again in 2021 (after Miggy and Zimmerman leave?)

I could never be on board, ever, with bringing DD back. To welcome him back would be an open admission that this franchise has not learned anything. DD wouldn’t know where to start if you took the loaded checkbook away from him. Detroit needs a Billy Beane. You can be a competitive team without breaking the bank and mortgaging your future if have a leadership that has the know how. DD ain’t that guy. AA ain’t that guy. 

51 minutes ago, ROMAD1 said:

Yeah but there’s stuff going on now almost every night at LCA and those lots are getting used.  

there is almost no chance he comes back here next year.  

as much as i like the success he had here and as much as i respect the job he did here, i dont think id want him back.  id like to see them try one of the new wave of front office people who have been so successful elsewhere.

of we can just hire someone already in the building and pretend he was the best candidate.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Oblong said:

Yeah but there’s stuff going on now almost every night at LCA and those lots are getting used.  

seemed incredibly easy to park each time i've tried the last few games.   The entire failure to figure out a better use for land than surface parking is an indictment on the Illitch family for sure. 

3 hours ago, ROMAD1 said:

Question... been busy today 

have any Detroit beat writers commented?

Here are some comments/thread

2 hours ago, chasfh said:

I think you've nailed it. It was a special time due the the circumstances that preceded and then surrounded it: historically terrible franchise transforms itself into a winner, and damn the costs, in a vain attempt to win one ring for our owner and lifelong Tigers fan before he dies. That's hella romantic.

Romanticized is a dandy word. You call it what you like. It looks very impressive. I call it wanting to win. We are supposed to want to do that aren't we? And you mention bad ownership. OK. Say we have a new owner. Do you think new ownership would keep the current GM? And lets just say a David Dombrowski is available. Who do you choose? I know.

During spring training this year, Dombrowski signed Chris Sale to a five year, $145 million extension that starts NEXT year (sound familiar?) Sale probably had his worst MLB season this year before going down with injury. 

This is a typical DD move...stupid.

22 minutes ago, Tim Mitchell said:

Romanticized is a dandy word. You call it what you like. It looks very impressive. I call it wanting to win. We are supposed to want to do that aren't we? And you mention bad ownership. OK. Say we have a new owner. Do you think new ownership would keep the current GM? And lets just say a David Dombrowski is available. Who do you choose? I know.

It's a good thing there are more options available than just Avila or DD.

• Thanks 1

Can we agree it’s a moot point?  He’s not coming back to work for the Ilitch’s.  If and when they sell, maybe.  I think Dan Gilbert, for example, would bring him back in a heartbeat.

2 hours ago, cmu97 said:

I personally would take 3-4 years of sucking really bad to turn into the Astros, Cubs, and even to a certain extent the Royals. The Royals window turned out to be very short, but they did win it all.  We didn't win anything in the 90's, and we basically an average team that whole decade. Then we really sucked during the Randy Smith years, and then 8 years of good to great. I'll take 4 years of very bad to go through an 8-10 stretch of very good. I think the hope is that by the time the Tiger's are good, the Astros, Cubs, Braves, etc will be in or close to a cycle of bad.

The problem is I don't see the Tigers being able to do what the Cubs, Astros, and Braves are doing. I feel a decade of the 90's coming on all over again. A few good years, a few down years, winning nothing.

At least the 90s decade had some entertaining hitters such as Fielder, Phillips and Tettleton.  They lost because their pitching was a disaster.  The current team has nothing.  Hopefully, they will have some pitching soon.  I am not optimistic overall though.  

36 minutes ago, Tim Mitchell said:

Every GM wants to win.  

1 hour ago, ROMAD1 said:

seemed incredibly easy to park each time i've tried the last few games.   The entire failure to figure out a better use for land than surface parking is an indictment on the Illitch family for sure. 

That was their long game.  It doesn’t bother me so much because if they go then parking is even worse.... we end up like Boston.  I can park for $10 for any event down there.  But I’m not their fan doe tne other reasons. 

How depressing.

Boston makes the hard choice to can the guy who built a World Series winner that won 3 straight division titles.

Detroit gives an extension to the guy who has not been able to assess amateur talent for 2 decades

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1