ROMAD1

GOOD LORD BOSTON MIGHT FIRE DAVE DOMBROWSKI!!!!

3 hours ago, Tim Mitchell said:

You always felt like you'd be "in it" with Dave.

There was well deserved criticism of Dave from time to time, but the guy knew how to build a winner. Unfortunately, he often leaves the cupboard empty when he leaves town.  Regardless, I would welcome him back to Detroit with open arms if he were at all interested. Even if we had to swallow a big chunk of Al's contract.

• Like 1

Via the Athletic:

Red Sox ownership had been grappling with Dombrowski’s future for some time. More than once since winning the World Series, Dombrowski asked ownership for an extension and was rebuffed, a person with knowledge of the situation said in August. A $145 million extension for Chris Sale this spring required a push from Dombrowski to ownership in order to get done, a push that, The Athletic has learned, Dombrowski did not handle smoothly.

The short version: Dombrowski is out because he spent a huge amount of money and was no longer delivering results.

The long version: Dombrowski’s job is to control and direct processes, which are often unseen. And those processes during Dombrowski’s tenure were sometimes chaotic. He did not take full advantage of the available information and resources. There were many days when functionality inside the Red Sox front office felt like a minor miracle to the people around him. That was true even as the 2018 World Series championship season unfolded.

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, Tigrrfan said:

Rick Hahn has received excellent returns on some of his trades ..notably his trading of Sale, Quintana, and Eaton.  Too bad Al Avila could not have gotten even close to those on just one of his trades. 

the jury is still out on some deals but maybe Candelario/Paredes for Avila/JWilson will pan out.

47 minutes ago, Buddha said:

oh, and they still need to re-sign ALL STAR JAMES MCCANN.

Oh yeah ..there is that!  

OTOH ..All-Star James McCann's 2nd half thus far through September 8 = .216 BA, .663 OPS, 68 tOPS+.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, LooseGoose said:

the jury is still out on some deals but maybe Candelario/Paredes for Avila/JWilson will pan out.

Candelario needs to show something quickly.  He's been bumped from 3B and will be 26 years old next Opening Day.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Tigrrfan said:

Oh yeah ..there is that!  

OTOH ..All-Star James McCann's 2nd half thus far through September 8 = .216 BA, .663 OPS, 68 tOPS+.

which looks an awful lot like the james mccann we know...

23 minutes ago, LooseGoose said:

the jury is still out on some deals but maybe Paredes for Avila/JWilson will pan out.

...fixed

1 hour ago, kdog said:

Via the Athletic:

The long version: Dombrowski’s job is to control and direct processes, which are often unseen. And those processes during Dombrowski’s tenure were sometimes chaotic. He did not take full advantage of the available information and resources. There were many days when functionality inside the Red Sox front office felt like a minor miracle to the people around him. That was true even as the 2018 World Series championship season unfolded.

So Dave couldn't run an office well?

EDIT: That would have been the thing I'd guess he'd have done well.

Just now, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

So Dave couldn't run an office well?

or the broadcast crew.  didn't David Price and Eckersley almost come to blows on the team plane?

I get the Price / Eck drama rundown from my buddy who follows the Sox and knows some people in / around the team.

It sounds like Price is a dink and Eck is enough of a needler to keep Price on edge.

1 hour ago, Oblong said:

But I do blame him for the team's lack of analytics. That's the kind of thing he should have been able to do.  

Absolutely. I also have this idea’s there’s also a lot of dead wood coaching and the like in the minors as well as scouts that he either would not or could not terminate.  

I’m not sure how to account for an inability to grow your own players, which numerous other teams seem to do, without blaming a set-in-its-ways lumbering sloth this organization appears to be. 

Maybe a problem of this stature and nature was too large to tackle, especially when the checkbook was open and you’re ordered to simply obtain good players instead of reinvigorating the soil on the farm. 

I just think he never cared that much about the minors.

I think he viewed is as the ammo necessary to obtain players and not a focal point.

I think DD always viewed the bullpen as a dice throw. Maybe he was right that a good pen is more luck than anything else. If that is true, he just had extraordinarily bad luck with bullpens for most of his Tigers tenure.

Maybe he should have been listening to 777.

Dombrowski has been a great GM for the multiple teams, but I always got the impression he was not very interested in modern statistical analysis and he even suggested as much himself.  He was smart enough to get away with it, but I think the game has reached a point where you need to be more focused on advanced analysis including that used in player development and economics. I wonder whether that is part of the disagreement.  

11 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

I just think he never cared that much about the minors.

I think he viewed is as the ammo necessary to obtain players and not a focal point.

That’s like a chef not caring about the ingredients and buying entrées from other restaurants.

He may not have tackled this issue because it was too pervasive and he did not have the support of ownership to transform it or it was outside his skill set to know how to transform it.

I think the thing we all remember about Dave is that he was a pretty good wheeler dealer. Transforming this aspect of the organization just may have been too daunting. Maybe he’s a one trick pony and in every situation that can take you only just so far. 

4 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

Dombrowski has been a great GM for the multiple teams, but I always got the impression he was not very interested in modern statistical analysis and he even suggested as much himself.  He was smart enough to get away with it, but I think the game has reached a point where you need to be more focused on advanced analysis including that used in player development and economics. I wonder whether that is part of the disagreement.  

Makes you wonder if the game has passed him by?   To paraphrase Billy Beane, will his **** work anymore?  Teams seem more focused on holding on their cheaper players, FA is starting to wane... 

The DD method.... trade prospects.  Sign FA.  Crappy Bullpen

That cut and paste from the Athletic is also interesting. Given what I presume to know, Dave’s strong point is being a big picture guy who is weaker on the uninteresting details of day-to-day operations. Minor league operations, office management. 

2 hours ago, Oblong said:

Suarez has a chance to lead all of baseball in home runs this year. 

18 minutes ago, IdahoBert said:

That’s like a chef not caring about the ingredients and buying entrées from other restaurants.

He may not have tackled this issue because it was too pervasive and he did not have the support of ownership to transform it or it was outside his skill set to know how to transform it.

I think the thing we all remember about Dave is that he was a pretty good wheeler dealer. Transforming this aspect of the organization just may have been too daunting. Maybe he’s a one trick pony and in every situation that can take you only just so far. 

I'd suggest most of DD's success with the Tigers was due to trades.

Absent a number of remarkably good trades, I submit  the Tigers would have been mostly terrible under his tenure.

18 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

I'd suggest most of DD's success with the Tigers was due to trades.

Absent a number of remarkably good trades, I submit  the Tigers would have been mostly terrible under his tenure.

Completely. Although free agent signings helped too. 

Sometimes he just got plain lucky, too.  Couldn't get Aurilia to sign in Detroit and went with Guillen as plan B.

14 minutes ago, Casimir said:

Sometimes he just got plain lucky, too.  Couldn't get Aurilia to sign in Detroit and went with Guillen as plan B.

Who was available because of a failed physical in a Guillen to CLE trade that made that deal fall apart....