ROMAD1

GOOD LORD BOSTON MIGHT FIRE DAVE DOMBROWSKI!!!!

3 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I'd be surprised.

Oh, I don't know.  Heck, Mike not have even gone as far as gotten considerations from Chris and/or Al.  He might have felt crossed enough that he didn't care for anyone else's input.

4 minutes ago, Casimir said:

Oh, I don't know.  Heck, Mike not have even gone as far as gotten considerations from Chris and/or Al.  He might have felt crossed enough that he didn't care for anyone else's input.

Well, if we get reliable reporting that Chris offers Dombrowski the top job, then you'll probably be right about this.

11 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

I can't imagine Chris wasn't at least somewhat onboard with such a move.

DD's not coming back as long as the Ilitch family owns the Tigers.  We are stuck with AA for who knows how long.

17 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Plus the Ilitch mantra has always been loyalty and family.  If they think you crossed them, you are done.  No second chances.

That's a good point about loyalty.

I wouldn't doubt they're committed to AA remaining GM if for no other reason then they don't have to think about staffing that position again for however many more years. He might end up being the Tigers' Russ Thomas: less Mr. Right and more Mr. Right There.

42 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Plus the Ilitch mantra has always been loyalty and family.  If they think you crossed them, you are done.  No second chances.

And it's a solid philosophy.   Anyone that disagrees with that hasn't had enough life experience.

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

I don't see Reinsdorf running Rick Hahn, who's done a phenomenal job building that system, out of that job and installing Dombrowski so he can start decimating that system in exchange for various 30-something veterans.

the white sox are insanely loyal and would never fire rick hahn to bring in dombrowski (even though dd worked there 40 years ago before hawk fired him).

Apropos of nothing, two fun Randy Smith facts.

• The Tigers hired Randy Smith in December of 1995. The 1996 Tigers went 53-109. After the 1997 Tigers went 79-83, the Tigers were named Baseball America's Organization of the Year and Randy was named their American League Executive of the Year. In 1998 the Tigers went 68-94. The team never had a winning season under Smith.
  • In 2016 the Nippon Ham Fighters won Japan's Pacific League pennant, going 87-53-3 (.612). In December they hired Randy Smith senior adviser to the general manager. In 2017 the Fighters went 60-83 (.420). 

4 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

Might take him a while to get his next gig.  I think his reputation is that he needs to be able to manage a generous payroll, and in today’s baseball economics, there aren’t many of those teams.  Phillies seem like a potential fit.

dombrowski built the marlins from nothing and the  the tigers from nothing into ws teams.  the man knows how to build a team if his orders are to build one.  if his orders are to build a winner RIGHT NOW, then that's what he tries to do.

hire smart people, tell them what you want them to do, and then let them do it.

and im plenty critical of his time here in detroit, but the idea that he cant GM more than one way is silly, imo.

• Thanks 1

If the Tigers want DD, there's only one man (and his wife Sparky) that can bring him back.  Triple Se7en.

I think Dombrowski reads this forum & has studied my face that exists on my avatar here. Most times this season, my wife & I arrive early as normal to the park... usually timed when the gates open. We usually eat & park ourselves at a table just below the catwalk Dombrowski & other suite buyers use to enter & exit their suites.

Every time I spotted him walking along the catwalk, he would always look down & view the surroundings. Several times he stared at me for an extended look. Three or four times he would then continue to walk to the left of us & turn back around again & give me another look -- then turn around & continue his walk for good.

My wife (Sparky) is Polish & from Hamtramck I grew up friends with a few Dombrowskis in Hamtramck. Either he is a relative to an old Dombrowski friend I hung with for several years & possibly met Dave that way -- or he knows I'm Triple Se7en here. My wife has commented on Dave's actions towards me a few times. She thinks he knows me - but neither one of us knows how.

The next time I see him up on that catwalk, I'm going to question him about it. He will probably deny reading Motowntigers.com for sure. Personally, I think both he & Tram read this stuff here. There's been too many mentions of ways to correct the team that were enacted in a game right after the post.

The most recent one was the massive lineup shakeup I suggested a few weeks ago. The next day or two saw a reversal of the top lineup guys with the bottom lineup guys. There's been several other ideas enacted before that too. These people from the Tigers do read this stuff we post here & take suggestions seriously.

No doubt in my mind whatsoever! Joe Falls was stealing my thoughts from my DetNews.com posts many times after he learned how to operate a computer -- a couple of years prior to his retirement. He would use the premise of my conversations or emails to him -- then initiate his own words & beliefs. He did this several times.

Newspaper writers are always looking for stories

Professional team managers and GMs are always looking for ideas to improve their teams.

Boy..... I really strayed off the subject line on this thread..... sorry!

• Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, ballmich said:

If the Tigers want DD, there's only one man (and his wife Sparky) that can bring him back.  Triple Se7en.

The legend returns. Welcome back!

ballmich and Rooster... who's next?  Tigercap? OMF? Qsilv? 

I'm all over the map on DD.  I don't think he's a genius but I also don't blame him entirely for where the team is now.  Remember after the trade deadline he was using the term 'reboot', which I took to mean, let's let things flesh out, we're not restaging the PC, but clearing out the memory, and we'll go forward with what we have and not overload things.  Then he gets canned and the Avila increases payroll $50 which amounted to a productive 1/2 season of J Upton before the **** hit the fan in 2017 and we had to have a firesale.

But I do blame him for the team's lack of analytics. That's the kind of thing he should have been able to do.  

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Apropos of nothing, two fun Randy Smith facts.

• The Tigers hired Randy Smith in December of 1995. The 1996 Tigers went 53-109. After the 1997 Tigers went 79-83, the Tigers were named Baseball America's Organization of the Year and Randy was named their American League Executive of the Year. In 1998 the Tigers went 68-94. The team never had a winning season under Smith.
  • In 2016 the Nippon Ham Fighters won Japan's Pacific League pennant, going 87-53-3 (.612). In December they hired Randy Smith senior adviser to the general manager. In 2017 the Fighters went 60-83 (.420). 

Ohtani was injured in 2017, FWIW, and he was an ok player for them.

I once ran into Randy at a liquor store in that Plymouth/Livonia area near Haggerty/275, I can never tell what city I'm in over there, it's all winding roads, Ann Arbor Rd, Ann Arbor Trail, Hines, Wilcox, etc.  I was getting a coke and some of their pizza for lunch.  Randy and his wife were looking at the price book to get some booze.  It was shortly after he was let go.

Rick Hahn has received excellent returns on some of his trades ..notably his trading of Sale, Quintana, and Eaton.  Too bad Al Avila could not have gotten even close to those on just one of his trades.  

On the other hand ...Rick Hahn did trade away prospect Fernando Tatis Jr to San Diego for Jamie Shields.

I imagine the White Sox will begin to seriously compete for AL Central's best record next year.

Might be time this winter for Reinsdorf to spend some money of a FA or two.

4 minutes ago, Oblong said:

I once ran into Randy at a liquor store in that Plymouth/Livonia area near Haggerty/275, I can never tell what city I'm in over there, it's all winding roads, Ann Arbor Rd, Ann Arbor Trail, Hines, Wilcox, etc.  I was getting a coke and some of their pizza for lunch.  Randy and his wife were looking at the price book to get some booze.  It was shortly after he was let go.

This is awesome

7 minutes ago, Tigrrfan said:

Rick Hahn has received excellent returns on some of his trades ..notably his trading of Sale, Quintana, and Eaton.  Too bad Al Avila could not have gotten even close to those on just one of his trades.  

On the other hand ...Rick Hahn did trade away prospect Fernando Tatis Jr to San Diego for Jamie Shields.

I imagine the White Sox will begin to seriously compete for AL Central's best record next year.

Might be time this winter for Reinsdorf to spend some money of a FA or two.

the sox will need a little pitching if they hope to contend next year.  i would say theyre two years away.  let kopech get a healthy year under his belt and have a 1-2 of kopech and giolito.  robert will have been here for a year.