ROMAD1

GOOD LORD BOSTON MIGHT FIRE DAVE DOMBROWSKI!!!!

Just now, IdahoBert said:

He was given the orders to win now in Boston just like he was in Detroit. Spend a lot of money, trade for people. This might be a flawed business model in general. 

indeed.

1 minute ago, IdahoBert said:

He was given the orders to win now in Boston just like he was in Detroit. Spend a lot of money, trade for people. This might be a flawed business model in general. 

This I agree with. I get why the Tigers were in that mode so I don't really blame Dave for that. There's too much luck involved but I'm not sure Mike I. believed in that theory. Plus there was Dave's inability to build a bullpen. 

7 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

indeed.

The Yankees are better able to do this because they appear to have a superior training scouting and coaching staff than anybody else to fall back on when all else fails, but even they haven’t won a string of world championships lately. 

29 minutes ago, Yoda said:

Do you think Boston is dumb enough to fall for that? 

IDK, they were pretty smart under larry Lucchino's hand, who put Epstein and Cherington in charge,  who built the system that produced the players they have been winning with. It may be a good question how smart they are since Lucchino has  left the scene. Could be a lot less. Francona at least thought one of the two remaining managing partners was not too baseball smart, and the other is a fund manager, so not a baseball guy either.

2 hours ago, Yoda said:

I think a blind man can see that this mess isn't just DD's fault. It's a calculated decision to have a low payroll, and I'm sure losing is also calculated. The org is in full kamikaze mode for the time being. That's isn't because of what Dave did. It's because they are cheap. Which is also why they employ Avila. 

Great points all.

5 hours ago, Yoda said:

Do you think Boston is dumb enough to fall for that? I don't really know if they are or not. I would wager most org's are aware of the Tigers real problem and don't just assume it's DD's fault. 

Dunno if they are dumb enough but the baseball world seems to be blaming him some.  This is not an isolated tweet.   Soon, Trump will attack him and the Russians will begin echoing it.

Might take him a while to get his next gig.  I think his reputation is that he needs to be able to manage a generous payroll, and in today’s baseball economics, there aren’t many of those teams.  Phillies seem like a potential fit.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, ROMAD1 said:

Dunno if they are dumb enough but the baseball world seems to be blaming him some.  This is not an isolated tweet.   Soon, Trump will attack him and the Russians will begin echoing it.

The Marlins won the World Series two years he left for Detroit. The Expos were the best team in baseball two years after he left for the Marlins.

6 hours ago, IdahoBert said:

Spend a lot of money, trade for people. This might be a flawed business model in general.  

I'm not sure how sustainable it is in the long run.  A team can have expensive players, but they'll need to have a farm system to work with as well.

59 minutes ago, ROMAD1 said:

BRING HIM BACK!

185486242.jpg?w=1024&h=576&crop=1

"Make us an offer we can't refuse."

Bring Dave back to run the organization.  To be the CEO.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The problem with bringing Dave back as CEO is I'm pretty sure he's gonna want to fire Avila on day one.  Seeing as how Chris I just extended Avila and praised him so strongly...I don't see that working 

10 minutes ago, Lei Pong said:

The problem with bringing Dave back as CEO is I'm pretty sure he's gonna want to fire Avila on day one.  Seeing as how Chris I just extended Avila and praised him so strongly...I don't see that working 

How do we know that?

I think the use of the term "pretty sure"  indicates that I...in fact...don't know that but am merely speculating based on the alleged animus between the two.

Fear of losing Avila should not be a consideration whatsoever if a clearly better alternative is available. Avila is not a prize by any means. 

17 minutes ago, Lei Pong said:

I think the use of the term "pretty sure"  indicates that I...in fact...don't know that but am merely speculating based on the alleged animus between the two.

What animus?

There has to be a place for him at the Tigers again! I'd love to see him come back...although I imagine he wouldn't want to come back as I don't see the Tigers wanting to spend much money in the near future. Mr. I wanted to buy a championship before he passed, so he opened up the books. I don't think the current management feels the same way.

I'm all for bringing him back, if he would consider it though!

21 minutes ago, Euphdude said:

Fear of losing Avila should not be a consideration whatsoever if a clearly better alternative is available. Avila is not a prize by any means. 

Let's be honest, Avila is a poor man's Dombrowski. Didn't he spend the majority of his management life under Dombrowski?

11 minutes ago, belcherboy said:

Let's be honest, Avila is a poor man's Dombrowski. Didn't he spend the majority of his management life under Dombrowski?

He did.  I wouldn't categorize Avila as DD lite, as DD has won World Series with two teams, whereas Avila has floundered much more than succeeded.  I knew the Tigers wouldn't compete this year (Avila's 4th as GM), but this embarrasment of a product he's put together is inexcusable.

• Like 1

Not at all surprised about the firing itself ..but somewhat surprised about the timing.  What is it about DD that he has been fired from his last two jobs before end of season?  

Peter Gammons suggested this morning that 'communications' between DD and the rest of the team executives may have been a significant factor.  Peter Gammons knows the Red Sox organization probably better than anybody not a part of it.

2 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

Might take him a while to get his next gig.  I think his reputation is that he needs to be able to manage a generous payroll, and in today’s baseball economics, there aren’t many of those teams.  Phillies seem like a potential fit.

I disagree. Dave will get a job pronto.

• Like 1