Jump to content

ROMAD1

GOOD LORD BOSTON MIGHT FIRE DAVE DOMBROWSKI!!!!

Recommended Posts

12 minutes ago, LooseGoose said:

Strange as it may seem some of those players may improve.   Last year H. Castro, Jones and Reyes probably would have been on your list.   They may not be all stars but have all improved from last year.  If those 3 continue to improve and 3 more are added from improvement or acquisitions you have the beginning of a lineup that can score some runs.  And really if the pitching comes through as promised we don't need the '27 Yankee lineup.

If any of these players improve enough to draw any interest at the trading deadline, they'll be traded.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

What free agents will be willing to sign with a 100 loss team? Were the 2004 Tigers that lost 90+ games that much better to watch? Opt out clauses are all the rage these days, so you manage to sign someone like Machado, you lose 85-90 games for about two seasons and then he opts out and leaves. 

Not trying to lose 100 games would be a good start to not losing 100 games.  

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, LooseGoose said:

Strange as it may seem some of those players may improve.   Last year H. Castro, Jones and Reyes probably would have been on your list.   They may not be all stars but have all improved from last year.  If those 3 continue to improve and 3 more are added from improvement or acquisitions you have the beginning of a lineup that can score some runs.  And really if the pitching comes through as promised we don't need the '27 Yankee lineup.

yup. Willi Castro is going against MLB pitching at 22. Reyes, Rogers, Lugo, Demeritte are 24 - all will still get stronger. That doesn't mean they will get better, but it does mean that a couple of these guys could still end up with some more upside and be able to stick at MLB. The way Demeritte, Reyes, Lugo and W. Castro were tearing up AAA pitching, you can't ask for much more  before you give them a shot. H. Castro is a utility player. To me, Candelario and Stewart are looking like longer shots at this point.

I think they certainly brought Rogers up too soon, they should have let him get his feet under himself a little more at AAA. He had just barely gotten his head above water there when they moved him again - maybe that was driven in part by Greiner's injury, but be that as it may, I don't think it helped Jake.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a buddy who is good pal of Chris Ilitch.  He has told him that their plan was to start to invest in 2021 when they have a better handle on which positions they’ll need to invest.  I’m going to assume this will be true—I don’t think the current payroll is primarily  a cost-cutting—I think they want to keep positions open to give AB’s to the young guys as an audition, using this season and next to evaluate who could be a foundational player.

Currently, I don’t see anyone in AAA/MLB that fits this.  Probably JaCoby Jones in CF if they think his second half surge is going to be reflective of his contributions moving forward.  That’s why it was so disappointing to see him get hurt.  He’s still a question.  Of the others, only Willi Castro, Jake Rogers, Christen Stewart and Travis Demeritte have the potential to be a contributor to the next winning team, and they all have flaws.  I’d add Mike Cameron at AAA and Isaac Paredes at AA to the mix.  Nico Goodrum as a super utility guy.

The bottom line is that we should start identifying positional talent to acquire through free agency.  Not stopgaps like Mercer was, but guys that can be part of the next good team.  I’m not worried about players not wanting to play for a winning team—they will almost always take the best deal. And they’ll appreciate the quality of the pitching that is on the way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

They were also inexpensive. That seems to be the deciding factor in every Tiger move the last couple of years. Throw all the stats out the window, the only thing that seems to matter is the contract.

Calling Mercer "inexpensive" at over $5M is a stretch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

If any of these players improve enough to draw any interest at the trading deadline, they'll be traded.

Like Boyd.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Charles Liston said:

In fairness, Harrison and Mercer were supposed to be decent veteran players.  It didn't work out,, but it was a reasonable attempt to stop the revolving door in the middle infield.  

Harrison no, but I wouldn't call a $5M shortstop with a 750 OPS a failure, it's about all you can  expect - though he did miss too much time.  He's is only a very average fielder as shortstops go, which means he has been better than any one else we have played there this season other than W. Castro, who looks like he has some upside at the position. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the Harrison, Mercer, Moore and Ross signings were all legitimate attempts to patch the holes.  They all failed miserably...but the effort was made.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Lei Pong said:

I think the Harrison, Mercer, Moore and Ross signings were all legitimate attempts to patch the holes.  They all failed miserably...but the effort was made.

I thought Moore and Mercer were OK pickups in that both performed as well or better than expected when they were able to stay on the field so the scouting turned out be accurate. I don't know what they were thinking with Harrison other than that putting him next to Mercer again would be some kind of synergy. That seemed like wishful thinking, as was Ross. I suppose you could say Moore being healthy was wishful thinking also, but taking a bet on a player's health is an inevitable kind of MLB bet to take.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Charles Liston said:

In fairness, Harrison and Mercer were supposed to be decent veteran players.  It didn't work out,, but it was a reasonable attempt to stop the revolving door in the middle infield.  

We could add Ross and Moore to the pile of free agent signings that fell short of reasonable expectations.

Edit:  I guess I shoould’of kept reading through some more posts as this was hit on above.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What have you done fo me lately..besides spending all their $$$$,,,joking aside this is really stupid. They won it all just last year. I guess it's hard living in the Yankees shadow even as the defending World Champion.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, tiger337 said:

Not trying to lose 100 games would be a good start to not losing 100 games.  

Damn straight

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, socaltiger said:

What have you done fo me lately..besides spending all their $$$$,,,joking aside this is really stupid. They won it all just last year. I guess it's hard living in the Yankees shadow even as the defending World Champion.

 

In the 8 seasons before this one, Dombrowski's teams won 7 division titles and played in 2 World Series, winning one of them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Lei Pong said:

Probably should have just kept Iglesias 

And if he didn’t want to play where the analytics people told him to play on particular batters they should’ve made him a non-monetary offer that he couldn’t refuse. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

You have to wonder just how much the Tiger collapse in the aftermath of this tenure played into the Boston's decision.

Holy crap.  I knew this was possible but I honestly didn’t expect it to happen. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

You have to wonder just how much the Tiger collapse in the aftermath of this tenure played into the Boston's decision.

I think a blind man can see that this mess isn't just DD's fault. It's a calculated decision to have a low payroll, and I'm sure losing is also calculated. The org is in full kamikaze mode for the time being. That's isn't because of what Dave did. It's because they are cheap. Which is also why they employ Avila. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Yoda said:

I think a blind man can see that this mess isn't just DD's fault. It's a calculated decision to have a low payroll, and I'm sure losing is also calculated. The org is in full kamikaze mode for the time being. That's isn't because of what Dave did. It's because they are cheap. Which is also why they employ Avila. 

But it's like the old movie (Long Hot Summer) with Paul Newman where the people think he is a guy that goes around burning down farms. Sometimes it doesn't matter what is true, just being in the wrong place at the wrong time too much can cost you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

You have to wonder just how much the Tiger collapse in the aftermath of this tenure played into the Boston's decision.

None.  This has 100% to do with what's happening right now and probably behind the scenes politics in the front office.  Boston doesn't give two squirts of **** about what's happening with Dombrowski's old team.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

But it's like the old movie (Long Hot Summer) with Paul Newman where the people think he is a guy that goes around burning down farms. Sometimes it doesn't matter what is true, just being in the wrong place at the wrong time too much can cost you.

Do you think Boston is dumb enough to fall for that? I don't really know if they are or not. I would wager most org's are aware of the Tigers real problem and don't just assume it's DD's fault. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, IdahoBert said:

And if he didn’t want to play where the analytics people told him to play on particular batters they should’ve made him a non-monetary offer that he couldn’t refuse. 

At +9 he has the best Rdrs of career this year. Though his UZR, which was always better than his Rdrs when he was here, is down some.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He was given the orders to win now in Boston just like he was in Detroit. Spend a lot of money, trade for people. This might be a flawed business model in general.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Forum Statistics

    • Total Topics
      96,709
    • Total Posts
      2,929,194
  • Who's Online (See full list)

  • Upcoming Events

    No upcoming events found
×
×
  • Create New...