ROMAD1

GOOD LORD BOSTON MIGHT FIRE DAVE DOMBROWSKI!!!!

12 minutes ago, Keepleyland2 said:

wikipedian_protester.jpg

See e.g.: Tigers, Detroit 2018; see also, Tigers, Detroit 2019.

1 hour ago, ROMAD1 said:

I'm not opposed to finding a young wiz kid to run the team. 

I would have a hard time seeing Al Avila greeting mourners at the viewing of Ernie Harwell like Dave Dombrowski did.   That's shows a difference between the two men.  

He was doing that with his CEO hat on, not his GM hat 

What exactly is Chris Illitch supposed to spend money on with this team? What rebuilding team goes out and signs aging free agents? What free agents want to sign with this team?

1 hour ago, gmoney said:

I think Matt Millen would be a great fit.  He's probably as good at finding baseball talent as he was football talent.

Jim Harbaugh would be better. Since the Tigers never play big games anymore, Harbaugh wouldn't lose any big games.

1 hour ago, Buddha said:

See e.g.: Tigers, Detroit 2018; see also, Tigers, Detroit 2019.

So we've decided he only cares about bottom line because he wouldn't spend money when the team was bad. Ergo the throwing money down a hole way of running a team. 

Just what I expected. 

2 hours ago, Oblong said:

He was doing that with his CEO hat on, not his GM hat 

sure

3 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

What exactly is Chris Illitch supposed to spend money on with this team? What rebuilding team goes out and signs aging free agents? What free agents want to sign with this team?

You have to start somewhere. Pudge Rodriguez and Magglio Ordonez come to mind

I haven't gone down the path that Chris Illitch as all about money yet. But it is glaringly obvious that the system lacks enough quality position players to contend for several years. If Illitch is fine with waiting for Greene and some of the other teenage prospects to develop and not go after FAs in the next year, then yes, I'll start believing he cares mostly about the bottom line and less for fielding a contender. What's wrong with having a few position players in place when the Erie studs are ready to join them? I'd rather those pitchers start out on a team with some hope of striving for .500

3 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

2004 Tigers did. You have to start at some point... I don't understand your confusion. 

2 hours ago, Yoda said:

2004 Tigers did. You have to start at some point... I don't understand your confusion. 

That was also after they bottomed out in 2003 and shed some contracts they had on the books. They also signed Rodriguez and Ordonez coming off injuries that other teams didn't want. Houston had three 100 loss seasons and a 90 loss season before they turned it around and started adding payroll. It doesn't make sense to sign free agents to a losing team that is rebuilding. 

To this point, no. But I will argue that for next season it does make sense. I'd rather there be some decent players on the field when Mize, Manning etc get to the show. A team needs some contributing vets. They can add them afterward but why wait? Why not have Mize and co start out with some positive help?

23 minutes ago, leflore said:

To this point, no. But I will argue that for next season it does make sense. I'd rather there be some decent players on the field when Mize, Manning etc get to the show. A team needs some contributing vets. They can add them afterward but why wait? Why not have Mize and co start out with some positive help?

A 30+ HR threat at 1B would be a good place to start.  I know I'm in the minority but other than that I'd be content to let the kids battle for playing time.

43 minutes ago, leflore said:

They can add them afterward but why wait?

because  FAs are usually players with relatively short shelf lives. If you assume a typical FA might already be near 30, you don't want to bring him in too far ahead of when your pitchers are ready to be good - so there is a balance to not getting too far ahead of yourself.

I'm not saying go all in. I'm saying add a couple pieces. I'd rather they have some pieces in place when the kids get there. 

• Thanks 1

Aren’t the Tigers already overpaying for Zimmerman and Cabrera?

12 hours ago, sabretooth said:

I think we will have to wait at least 5 years of poor to mediocre play before he has a reckoning like that.

5 total or 5 more?  Because I prefer credit for time already served.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, LooseGoose said:

A 30+ HR threat at 1B would be a good place to start.  I know I'm in the minority but other than that I'd be content to let the kids battle for playing time.

Jason Thompson is available

At least 3 more seasons of 100 losses.

Who are they going to get to hit?

Castro, Rogers, Candelario, Stewart, Demeritte...the future of Detroit according to Avila...have all shown they struggle to hit Major League pitching.

Lugo has been doing okay as of late, but hasn't shown much power at a power position.

19 hours ago, Yoda said:

Lots of teams do.  I don't want to watch a team be a complete joke for five years.  That's not why I became a fan.  If I just want to watch a baseball game, I can go watch the local high school team.  

In fairness, Harrison and Mercer were supposed to be decent veteran players.  It didn't work out,, but it was a reasonable attempt to stop the revolving door in the middle infield.  

What free agents will be willing to sign with a 100 loss team? Were the 2004 Tigers that lost 90+ games that much better to watch? Opt out clauses are all the rage these days, so you manage to sign someone like Machado, you lose 85-90 games for about two seasons and then he opts out and leaves. 

1 hour ago, gmoney said:

At least 3 more seasons of 100 losses.

Who are they going to get to hit?

Castro, Rogers, Candelario, Stewart, Demeritte...the future of Detroit according to Avila...have all shown they struggle to hit Major League pitching.

Lugo has been doing okay as of late, but hasn't shown much power at a power position.

Strange as it may seem some of those players may improve.   Last year H. Castro, Jones and Reyes probably would have been on your list.   They may not be all stars but have all improved from last year.  If those 3 continue to improve and 3 more are added from improvement or acquisitions you have the beginning of a lineup that can score some runs.  And really if the pitching comes through as promised we don't need the '27 Yankee lineup.

33 minutes ago, Charles Liston said:

In fairness, Harrison and Mercer were supposed to be decent veteran players.  It didn't work out,, but it was a reasonable attempt to stop the revolving door in the middle infield.  

They were also inexpensive. That seems to be the deciding factor in every Tiger move the last couple of years. Throw all the stats out the window, the only thing that seems to matter is the contract.